d176 Guide Bars

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i like the look of that bar, old school. the tsc bars are skinny. i think that's a low-kickback thing. i'm pretty sure those mccullochs, like the 610, call for a d176 bar. why it has no oil hole is curious. the bar i got at tsc came with a 70dl tri-link chain. it has no low kick-back garbage, seems a little heavier that the oregon chain i use, and after touching it with my timberline, it cuts very well and holds it edge as long as you keep it out of mother earth.

regarding the saw, like yours, my oil pump supply line failed at the inlet to the pump last saturday, big mess. i measured the od at 6mm and found a 5.7mm od fuel line at my stihl dealer. it's oiling well now but installing it was a lot of bother. the nipples on the pump and filter are too fat for that size tubing.

i used the saw this week for a russian olive removal. it performed well but a tank of fuel doesn't last long. that saw is growing on me.
None of the OEM McCulloch bars I've seen appear to have the extra oil holes. I guess they didn't use them so why bother? I find it much easier to gauge where the bar tip is with the wider tip, and I like the fatter center section with curved sides.

My saw is running great! It's got guts and I enjoy running it.

That bar is more likely a D276. Same mount as D176, but oils through the adjuster hole only.

I have quite a few D176, and 276 bars.

Right. What I am trying to say is that I don't know that all 'Total' bars were made by Tsumura. I think that different manufacturers have made them over the years, or may have made some of the models with the Total name. Probably true with many branded products.

Philbert

True, as far as I know - older Total branded bars likely aren't Tsumura.

I still have not bought one of these combos, but I will the next time I get to TSC...

...That's TriLink full chisel from TSC - cuts great.

here are some photos of the 3/8" .050" tri-link chain after several months of use and numerous sharpenings. it has a few hours on it since the most recent sharpening. the chain hasn't stretched much, about the same as an oregon or carlton.

first. here's how the timberline fits into it. it looked like i might need to lower the gullet just a bit, but i didn't.
timberline_0159-sm.jpg

you can see from the side plates that there is ample hook. the chain self-feeds nicely.
side_plates_0173-sm.jpg

top plates:
top_plates_0172-sm.jpg

detail of a cutter:
cutter_0176-sm.jpg

Back