Dang, Tillotson/Homelite has me stumped and mad!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just make sure you leave me a little for fuel after you fill in the check :cheers:

I have a beautiful NEW SugiHara 24" bar that would looks slick on that thing! hehe

This thing would laugh at a 24" bar! Might as well put a 12" on it.

Don't worry, I would leave you enough fuel money for the saws, but that Jap truck would be SOL . LOL

This thing would laugh at a 24" bar! Might as well put a 12" on it.

Lol I know I had one and regret getting rid of it. You gotta remember though this is the east coast. I do have a few from 24-46 that will fit to give it a work out from time to time though.

Ouch on the poor Toyota. I looked at American stuff when I bought that and this was the best choice by far. I would rather deal with a sticky gas pedal then a company needing a hand out. It's one tough little truck though... I think you would be impressed. Fits lots of saws

Last edited:
Lol I know I had one and regret getting rid of it. You gotta remember though this is the east coast. I do have a few from 24-46 that will fit to give it a work out from time to time though.

Ouch on the poor Toyota. I looked at American stuff when I bought that and this was the best choice by far. I would rather deal with a sticky gas pedal then a company needing a hand out. It's one tough little truck though... I think you would be impressed. Fits lots of saws

Not the best choice if you need a real truck, Ford didnt take the money and I got a 2010 sitting right here!

Not the best choice if you need a real truck, Ford didnt take the money and I got a 2010 sitting right here!

I looked at ford but i only liked the F-150 Raptor or a F-350 short bed regular cab. Both outta my price range unfortunately. If I didn't have 2 new quads though I might have been able to work something out. No biggie I'll just wait another year or 2.

I looked at chevy and the silverado's don't do it for me. After early 2000's I think chevy went in the crapper. And dodge is junk unless you get the cummins and I don't have the money for that right now either.

That Tacoma was still 30K the way I have it optioned. For right now though no real truck needed. I only carry saws around or put 1 quad in the bed and the other on a small trailer. Very seldom my buddy's 12' trailer with 2 wheelers plus 1 in the bed. Almost dont even know they are there believe it or not

A dab of solder on those nozzles before inserting them would be my fix for them, just use them to plug the hole and set the flow with the H needle.
Pioneerguy600

Yes I agree and thought about that, just wanted a easy way to try it. The glue will buff off pretty easy and I think I will solder it for a permament fix.

I soldered up the other nozzle and its a good thing to because that seal all was already starting to soften up, but I knew it was just a temp fix just to try it.

Here is the soldered nozzle.
attachment.php

attachment.php

The saw runs great now! You can actually adjust the carb like you should be able to.

I feel that the soldered nozzle should be a permanent fix. I got it set just a hair on the rich side right now, but she cleans out nice when you put it in the wood.

Here is a video of it in some Oak. (that is if I did it right.)

<embed src="http://img163.imageshack.us/flvplayer.swf?f=Psxl9252" width="352" height="284" allowFullScreen="true" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"/><br/>
<a href="http://profile.imageshack.us/user/Modifiedmark">[More videos from Modifiedmark]</a>

Looking and sounding great Mark. Love those 925's. At least ya know what to do when you got a weird running saw with a HS on it. :clap:

Yeah at lest one with a main nozzle check valve in it. This is the first HS that I have ran into with this setup and I have done tons of them..

Good to hear you got it fixed Mark. I have yet to pull out one of the 925`s I have and tear into the carb but I will remember the " fix " if they give me trouble.
Pioneerguy600

Jerry you will be pulling one out soon now I'm guessing. You seen that thing eating that oak! They run and pull hard.

I'm still not satisfied with this outcome, I'm waiting on the docs that Judy is sending me. I'm still kinda convinced that I was sent a faulty main nozzle but have not a known good one to compare it to.

I still think I might order one of those other nozzles that I asked about the #'s for and may put it in for peace of mind. But I still think the solder is good forever how about you?

I gotta give you credit for your tenacity on these. I would have swapped that carb to a different one at about hour number two. Good on ya for making it easy on the rest of us. I think I need to get some crank seals for my XL-800 now. That thing sounds good!

Yeah at lest one with a main nozzle check valve in it. This is the first HS that I have ran into with this setup and I have done tons of them..

Jerry you will be pulling one out soon now I'm guessing. You seen that thing eating that oak! They run and pull hard.

I'm still not satisfied with this outcome, I'm waiting on the docs that Judy is sending me. I'm still kinda convinced that I was sent a faulty main nozzle but have not a known good one to compare it to.

I still think I might order one of those other nozzles that I asked about the #'s for and may put it in for peace of mind. But I still think the solder is good forever how about you?

The 925`s I have are my FIL `s , he was a feller for a large milling outfit here in Northern N.S. and all they used were Homelites. I was up to the old mill earlier this spring and picked up a dozen or so more Homie XL12`s and XLA`s but have not gotten into them yet, most just don`t have spark. There were 150 or more old Homies sitting there but most had been scavenged for parts.

I would think that if that nozzle was in the saw with no checkvalve then it would not have worked as too much fuel would just flow into the incoming airstream even at idle.
My years of working on carbs and all the info I have on them indicates that there is either a fixed jet nozzle and no H jet screw, a nozzle with a jet and a active check ball that only opens at high vacuum, or a set of adjustable needle screws for each jet.
In this case if the carb had the H needle set to where it is nearly shut off then the saw could just run on the fixed jet in the nozzle and dial in the wee bit of extra fuel needed to make it right at WOT.

The solder would be good with me as long as the adjustable needle jet can supply enough fuel to the engine for WOT operation and I am very sure you know how to tune a saw engine. If you are satisfied the carb is flowing plenty of fuel through the needle controlled jet then there is no need for that silly nozzle setup anyway.

The combination nozzle/jet is listed in the Tillotson Manual with a separate number and therefore it must be a working mechanism, Walbro carbs have a similar setup and they act the same way when they go bad. If it were me I would run the saw with the soldered nozzle for a tank or so of fuel and if it works right at WOT leave it at that, even better if you can get enough fuel flow through the carb that the engine cannot clear it from fourstroking at WOT under load then you know you are safe running it on just the adjustable needle jets. I say set it up and run it that way, I have plugged off plenty of govenor nozzles and power nozzles and run the saws setup on the adjuster needles and they have been just fine.
Pioneerguy600

Last edited:
Hey Mark,

Would you please post a link for your video? Embeded videos don't work for me on this site (but do on other sites.......strange). Alternatively.......what's your username on youtube? I can look up your vids that way if you prefer. Thanks.

-Aaron

I got the document from Chainsawlady Judy today and wanted to post it for you guys to see.

Anyone else ever heard of this? That is the way my carb was working lately but all the time I have had it it never did.

Just for the record, I don't know how much difference there is but this doc is for a HS-151A carb and mine is a HS-151B.

attachment.php

Glad you got it going Mark. I belive I have the exact same problem with my SXL. I rebuilt it about 9 months ago. Took it out last week to cut some oak and it would start then die. Did not respond adjustments. So when I finally get things strait with my house I will start on the saws again.

It looks to me like Homelite had some trouble with folks running those saw too lean and implemented a fix that would eliminate the possibility (or at least make it more difficult) to run the saw too lean. Seems they took the McCulloch sort of approach and fixed it on the fly using what they already had on hand (the HS carburetors).

The McCulloch flat back carburetors all have a ball and seat that opens at high speed to admit more fuel. A lot of my saws with that carburetor operate with the H jet open less than 1 turn.

Mark

Latest posts

Back