Dead Stihl ms180

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been thinking about doing that too. My only concern with that plan is noise. I'm lazy about wearing ear protection and have tinnitus pretty bad as a result. How much louder do you feel like the saw is now with the "modded" muffler?

Old post resurrected. I finally got around to installing amazon carburetor referred to in post #60. The saw runs better than when it was new! The excessive smoking has gone away and plug fouling hasn't happened in 4-5 tanks of gas. Apparently something wasn't right in the oem carburetor. If anyone else with this saw has similar problems with their stihl ms180 this $14 carb might be the fix
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00VTAD818/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I had the same problem with my 180 and replaced the OEM carb with a Chinese one from either Amazon or EBAY which solved the overly rich plug fouling but every now and then it will get hard to start when hot.

I've been thinking about doing that too. My only concern with that plan is noise. I'm lazy about wearing ear protection and have tinnitus pretty bad as a result. How much louder do you feel like the saw is now with the "modded" muffler?
I did not fully open it up like most people do for the same reason. I put the two holes you see here, removed the screen and pried the louvers open on the deflector. Its not that loud IMO.

1726749168114.png

Latest posts

Back