Disfunctional Saw (operator?)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
crank the saw up with the bar off it and check to see if oil is flowing out of the hole...prob wouldn't hurt to flush the oil tank out with a bit of gas a couple of times

I drained the old oil, fished out the oil line and filter - looked clear but will order a replacement.
I removed the bar and ran (after putting more oil in). Oil was seeping from a single spot. Not sure how much flow there should be.
Cleaned all the area under the bar.
Reassembled and ran, chain did not appear to oil. Will flush reservoir with gas.

By the time the saw is in good working order again, it will be time for me to move or deploy again - never ending cycle.

Thanks for all the help.
JAS

Use 89 Octane

All of the above advice :rock: . Plus:
Took me years before a pro told me a secret: he always uses 89 octane year-round for all his saws' mix. A big DUH: it's in the manuals that we birdbrains read :popcorn: . Ever since, the saws start up easier, run smoother, in snow, in rain.
You Airborne ? 10th Mountain ? Ranger ?

For that application, I'd go with a semi-chisel chain; it'll stay reasonably sharp longer while cutting wood that's already on the ground.

Currerntly the saw has an Oregon 95VP.

Should I go to a woodsman pro 20NK
http://store.baileys-online.com/cgi-bin/baileys/151

or get another 95VP?

Currently running 18in bar, any value going to a shorter bar for the type of cutting I do?

Thanks.
JAS

I drained the old oil, fished out the oil line and filter - looked clear but will order a replacement.
I removed the bar and ran (after putting more oil in). Oil was seeping from a single spot. Not sure how much flow there should be.
Cleaned all the area under the bar.
Reassembled and ran, chain did not appear to oil. Will flush reservoir with gas.

By the time the saw is in good working order again, it will be time for me to move or deploy again - never ending cycle.

Thanks for all the help.
JAS
As I posted earlier clean the groove in the bar not
under it! Take a putty knife and run it down the length of the bar
in the groove where the chain runners ride then clean the oil holes in the bar and it will oil. Compressed air will help but not
necessary I clean grooves everytime I throw a chain or daily
if I don't throw it!

Last edited:
Back