Does this look like Russian olive?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think you may have a very similar plant instead of the Russian Olive:

http://dendro.cnre.vt.edu/dendrology/syllabus/factsheet.cfm?ID=269
So far, I haven't been able to find any definitive botanical differences between the two, except that the leaves look a bit greener & wider for the Autumn-Olive, and the flowers don't seem as large and yellow. The color of the flower calyx in your pictures is a definite match for the pics in the Virginia tech website.
The Autumn Olive doesn't get as big! "A shrub or very small tree to 15 feet, rounded in outline."

Russian Olive= "A shrub or small tree to 40 feet, rounded in outline."

I think you got Autumn Olive there. Since some of the other guys have maintained that the Russian Olive doesn't get very big, I think it is a rather common point of confusion. Prior to this little bit of research, I was about to agree with you that it was a Russian Olive. The differences are pretty minor.

And...

I found an article comparing the two.
https://woodyinvasives.org/woody-invasive-species/autumn-olive/
"Autumn olive looks similar to the closely related and also invasive Russian olive (E. angustifolia). At maturity, autumn olive is smaller than Russian olive and is more frequently multi-stemmed and shrubby. The leaves of autumn olive are wider than those of Russian olive relative to their length. The scales on the twigs of autumn olive are often distinctly orange or rust colored, while the scales on Russian olive twigs are silver only. Finally, the fruits of autumn olive are small and pink to red in color, while the fruits of Russian olive are about twice the size at ½” in length and are yellow-brown in color. Among native species, Autumn olive is also similar to silverberry (E. commutata), but silverberry is quite rare in the Great Lakes region and is typically shorter in stature, has rounder, smaller leaves, yellow flowers and silver-green fruits. It is also similar to buffaloberry species (Shepherdia spp.), but these species have oppositely arranged twigs and leaves while autumn olive’s arrangement is alternate."​
1652390612334.png

Latest posts

Back