Dolmar 7900 Report = NICE!, AMICK'S Rave too...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gooserider

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Near Lowell, MA, USA, North America, Earth
A little while back, I was asking advice on picking a saw, and thanks to everyone here, ended up getting a Dolmar 7900, w/ the 20" bar, plus a spare 28" bar for the occasional bigger wood, a bunch of chains and some other stuff.

I found that the local dealers were not even close to competive, and ended up getting my saw from Amick's Superstore, talking with Tony. Amick's gave WONDERFUL service, according to the Fedex tracker, my stuff shipped w/in two hours after I ordered it, and it got to my house about 2 days sooner than I was really expecting it... The only bummer is that Dolmar doesn't do as good a job of boxing their saws as they could, and the saw got bounced around a bit in the box, and the plastic chain brake lever was broken... (The second box with the rest of my stuff in it was nicely packed and arrived in perfect shape.)

I called Tony when I discovered this, and caught him just before closing. No arguements, just "What can we do to make it right?" - I agreed that it would probably be easiest if he could send me a replacement brake lever, as he said it was an easy part to change. He said they didn't have a new lever in stock, but that he would pull one off a new saw and ship it to me in the morning. I got the new part, again in excellent time, and Tony had even thrown in a $10 bill for my troubles. I didn't take him up on his offer to give him a call to walk me through changing it, (and should have - as I ended up doing it the hard way) but I appreciated it. Definitely I want to give Amick's and Tony a big hand for going "above and beyond" in the name of customer satisfaction!:clap: :cheers:

On to the saw itself... Easy to work on, for the little bit of work I've had to do (mostly mounting and adjusting the bar) and the little bit of taking things apart to see how they went together that I've done. The side access chain adjuster is quick and easy to use.

It was a :censored: to start the first time - probably a combo of my not knowing the best starting drill and needing to pull gas out of the tank and fill the empty fuel system, etc... Once I got it started the first time, it hasn't been a problem since. The decompression button makes a BIG difference! Mash the button and it's an easy pull, forget it and the saw really fights back.

I made an early report on my first time out and another poster gave me some advice on the best starting drill, and it's been a 1-2 pull start ever since, maybe 3 pulls on a stone cold engine. :)

I'm currently running on a Stihl orange "one-shot" bottle of oil mixed a bit rich - 0.9 gallons of gas instead of 1.0, and using Exxon Premium gas.

The saw is incredibly smooth running - at idle it's got a tiny bit of shake to it, but less than my Poulan has at any speed. When I give it the gas, it smooths out to the point where except for the noise it feels like it's not running...

It cuts incredibly well, no effort needed other than pick it up, put it on the log, pull the trigger and catch it when the saw falls out the other side... A few times it has seemed less prone to getting stuck than my little saw if the cut started to close up on me, as the big engine kept the chain spinning so I could cut out. (I'm using the Oregon full chipper chain that Amick's sells with that saw)

I have had a couple times where cutting up from the underside of a log with the top of the bar it would finish the cut and the log ends coming down would knock the chain off the bar - When this happens it seriously buggers up the tangs on the drive links. I've been cleaning up the burrs with a stone in a Dremel tool, which works, but is awfully slow - is there a better / faster way to do this?

Overall I'm delighted with the saw - I haven't had to adjust anything on it, as it came out of the box everything JUST WORKS! and it works well.

Can't comment on longevity, as I'm only on my second or third tank of gas, but so far it's been great.

Gooserider

A little while back, I was asking advice on picking a saw, and thanks to everyone here, ended up getting a Dolmar 7900, w/ the 20" bar, plus a spare 28" bar for the occasional bigger wood, a bunch of chains and some other stuff.

I found that the local dealers were not even close to competive, and ended up getting my saw from Amick's Superstore, talking with Tony. Amick's gave WONDERFUL service, according to the Fedex tracker, my stuff shipped w/in two hours after I ordered it, and it got to my house about 2 days sooner than I was really expecting it... The only bummer is that Dolmar doesn't do as good a job of boxing their saws as they could, and the saw got bounced around a bit in the box, and the plastic chain brake lever was broken... (The second box with the rest of my stuff in it was nicely packed and arrived in perfect shape.)

I called Tony when I discovered this, and caught him just before closing. No arguements, just "What can we do to make it right?" - I agreed that it would probably be easiest if he could send me a replacement brake lever, as he said it was an easy part to change. He said they didn't have a new lever in stock, but that he would pull one off a new saw and ship it to me in the morning. I got the new part, again in excellent time, and Tony had even thrown in a $10 bill for my troubles. I didn't take him up on his offer to give him a call to walk me through changing it, (and should have - as I ended up doing it the hard way) but I appreciated it. Definitely I want to give Amick's and Tony a big hand for going "above and beyond" in the name of customer satisfaction!:clap: :cheers:

On to the saw itself... Easy to work on, for the little bit of work I've had to do (mostly mounting and adjusting the bar) and the little bit of taking things apart to see how they went together that I've done. The side access chain adjuster is quick and easy to use.

It was a :censored: to start the first time - probably a combo of my not knowing the best starting drill and needing to pull gas out of the tank and fill the empty fuel system, etc... Once I got it started the first time, it hasn't been a problem since. The decompression button makes a BIG difference! Mash the button and it's an easy pull, forget it and the saw really fights back.

I made an early report on my first time out and another poster gave me some advice on the best starting drill, and it's been a 1-2 pull start ever since, maybe 3 pulls on a stone cold engine. :)

I'm currently running on a Stihl orange "one-shot" bottle of oil mixed a bit rich - 0.9 gallons of gas instead of 1.0, and using Exxon Premium gas.

The saw is incredibly smooth running - at idle it's got a tiny bit of shake to it, but less than my Poulan has at any speed. When I give it the gas, it smooths out to the point where except for the noise it feels like it's not running...

It cuts incredibly well, no effort needed other than pick it up, put it on the log, pull the trigger and catch it when the saw falls out the other side... A few times it has seemed less prone to getting stuck than my little saw if the cut started to close up on me, as the big engine kept the chain spinning so I could cut out. (I'm using the Oregon full chipper chain that Amick's sells with that saw)

I have had a couple times where cutting up from the underside of a log with the top of the bar it would finish the cut and the log ends coming down would knock the chain off the bar - When this happens it seriously buggers up the tangs on the drive links. I've been cleaning up the burrs with a stone in a Dremel tool, which works, but is awfully slow - is there a better / faster way to do this?

Overall I'm delighted with the saw - I haven't had to adjust anything on it, as it came out of the box everything JUST WORKS! and it works well.

Can't comment on longevity, as I'm only on my second or third tank of gas, but so far it's been great.

Gooserider
Yep...ole Tony is a pretty good ole boy! That $10 is prob the $10 I sent him a week or so ago so he could eat. Doesnt sound like he gets much to eat lately. Doing business with him is a pleasure, quick shipping.

Yep...ole Tony is a pretty good ole boy! That $10 is prob the $10 I sent him a week or so ago so he could eat. Doesnt sound like he gets much to eat lately. Doing business with him is a pleasure, quick shipping.

and the earth began to rumble and shake. it was the fedex truck pulling up to OFB's house with that new 7900.

:)

Great choice on a really nice saw. The next saw I buy will be that very one. :clap:

Are you sure you've got your chain tensioned correctly? Shouldn't be coming off the bar like that no matter which way your cutting.:cheers:

I've bought two seperate orders of chain from Tony at Amick's. Fast shipping and accurate. Very good guy to deal with.

Here's a hint: Keep the chain under $50.00 in value and he'll put them in a Priority flat-rate envelope and send them to you for $4.85. First order I got 5 Oregon 91VX 56 dl chains at $9.90 each and the shipping stayed at $4.85. Second order was 3 mixed chains and still the same shipping.

Gooserider, don't blame Dolmar for the poor packing.That box the saw comes in isn't meant to be used for common carriers. Also it's against Dolmar policy to ship saws - in store sales only. If you do have a problem what are you going to do to have it taken care of ? I guess you could ship it back ( pay shipping both way's ) and hope they can fix it. or just have the local dealer fix it. ( while you wait )

Gooserider

Did you say "mash" the button? After I read that, I scrolled back up to see where you were from. I expected to see somewhere in Dixie, but was surprised to see MA. LOL!

Glad you're happy with the saw, Goose. My next saw as well. Would have already had it, but went for the 5100 first, as I'm cutting smaller stuff right now.

Agree that the chain probably needs to be tighter, lots of info around here on that. Enjoy the saw and the heat you produce!

Spring is just around the corner, we're just on a long straightaway first....

Festus and Zodiac: I will have to look around for more info on chain tightening. I have been running pretty far on the loose side with my Poulan, it seems to help the saw cut better.

I have a friend that has been doing wood for years, has a large collection of saws, (mostly Stihls) and he very strongly insists on running loose, his personal saws he runs with enough slack that the drive links hang out of the bar. He says it takes practice to run it that loose, and saws that he has other people use he sets up so that only about half the drive links show. He claims that the chain tightens up when you rev the saw, so that you end up with the chain in the bar while cutting... He says that tensioning so that the chain just touches the bar is to tight, and is a "conspiracy" on the part of the chain and saw makers to cause bars and chains to wear more rapidly and need more frequent replacement.

He has taught me a fair bit, including being the one to get me into hand filing my chains instead of using a grinder or having them done.. I've been sort of splitting the difference, setting it so the chain just barely hangs off the bar....

Litefoot: I grew up in MA, but my mother was from Northern LA, (Ruston / Farmerville area) and I spent a fair bit of time living down there and in Baton Rouge, along with a couple years in FL - It has resulted in me picking stuff up from all over, I don't think I've EVER lived in a place where I sounded like a "native".

Sugarbush: I'm not "blaming" Dolmar, or at least not much... However that saw has to get from the factory to the dealer, and IMHO the packaging would have been marginal even for that - the box itself was in pretty good shape, but there was only one or two flimsy cardboard partitions in the box to keep the saw from rattling around inside it... It might have been OK on a pallet with a bunch of other boxes, but not much more than that. No biggie, but the saw would have travelled better if they had even just thrown a good wad of newspaper in the box with it. Probably I ought to suggest that to Tony for future reference...

Shipping Dolmars

Wow,
First, we were told Dolmars could be shipped (2006). So we put them in our catalog (2007). Then we were told they couldn't be shipped (2007). Now they can (2008). Did I miss something or are we just uninformed?

I got a saw shipped just in the factory box and it too was shaken about pretty good. JMO, but if you're mailing saws, they should be double boxed. They're not too heavy and they throw well, at least that's what FedEx and UPS seem to think.

Ian

Wow,
First, we were told Dolmars could be shipped (2006). So we put them in our catalog (2007). Then we were told they couldn't be shipped (2007). Now they can (2008). Did I miss something or are we just uninformed?

No.

Wow,
You didn't much much except that a dolmar could potentially be on the front cover of your new catalog instead of a solo ;).

Latest posts

Back