Dolmar 7900 Report = NICE!, AMICK'S Rave too...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Put the bottom of the tip of the bar on something firm when you are tightening your chain. Apply some pressure and bring tension to the point where the chain is in contact with the entire bottom length of the bar. Now tighten the bar nuts. The bar won't tighten when revved. Maybe without the pressure and tight bar nuts. A loose chain will cause you to cut in a circle (as will a dull chain). Also a good way to mess up the drivers. As I think you metioned in an earlier post.

Running loose chains in StihlRockin's world will get you:

Thrown chains
Uneven cuts
Premature bar wear
Uneven bar wear

I hold the bar up with my left hand and tighten just enough so the chain is snug on top of the bar, then I'll tighten the nuts with my right hand. You have to pull a bit to expose the runners. As the chain heats up it will loosen/stretch a bit. Works for me and I don't get burned marks on my bars nor do I see uneven bar wear that much.

StihlRockin'

I just got my 7900 last week. Tony must have repacked mine. There was some of that heavy foam inside and the box retaped.

Tony rocks.

I got a saw shipped just in the factory box and it too was shaken about pretty good. JMO, but if you're mailing saws, they should be double boxed. They're not too heavy and they throw well, at least that's what FedEx and UPS seem to think.

Ian

I agree on throwing - but the problem isn't so much the box IMHO, as it is a need to beef up the padding inside so that the saw doesn't rattle around inside the box... On mine the box itself was in good shape when I got it, but even just picking it up to bring it inside the house for unpacking, I felt the saw moving around inside it. From what Vibes said, sounds like Tony has figured this out and is packing the saws better now... :clap: I agree, Tony rocks!

However I know all about UPS and Fedex throwing stuff... I used to work at a place that sold computers and monitors - we would get a lot of DOA monitors back that the monitor guys said looked like they were dropped inside (i.e. broken circuit boards) but had no external signs of damage - Then one day we caught the UPS guy lobbing a monitor in it's box a good 15' across our loading dock - it was a great video on the security tapes, and explained what was happening to our monitors... We had the monitor guys take it apart and show that it had that type of internal damage. After that my understanding is that we had no problems with damage claims from UPS - if they started to argue we just played the tape.... :jawdrop:

Gooserider

Running loose chains in StihlRockin's world will get you:

Thrown chains
Uneven cuts
Premature bar wear
Uneven bar wear

I hold the bar up with my left hand and tighten just enough so the chain is snug on top of the bar, then I'll tighten the nuts with my right hand. You have to pull a bit to expose the runners. As the chain heats up it will loosen/stretch a bit. Works for me and I don't get burned marks on my bars nor do I see uneven bar wear that much.

StihlRockin'

Put the saw upside down, and let gravity take care of it - you get an extra free hand that way.......

Wow,
First, we were told Dolmars could be shipped (2006). So we put them in our catalog (2007). Then we were told they couldn't be shipped (2007). Now they can (2008). Did I miss something or are we just uninformed?

If you missed something, I may have too, but don't think so. I sell Dolmars and knew from the start that shipping saws was not allowed. When you first started with Dolmar and put them in your catalog, I think then you were made aware that they couldn't be shipped. So, you didn't try to find some loophole to ship your saws - you decided not to continue with Dolmar. Probably because most of your merchandise is sold through your catalog (shipped).Then you went with another brand that does allow shipping - probably a good decision. I think you ought to be commended for handling it that way. It shows you are a stand-up guy. Can't say the same for some other dealers.

This shipping bit is getting out of hand

I feel if Tony wants to ship me a new Dolmar, it is between he and I..
There are a lot of dealers around the US that will ship a buddy or a friend from the net a new saw.
If Baileys was to continue shipping huskies. Do you seriously think Husky is going to pull their plug? How many husky saws did Baileys sell in 2007? I bet it won't be near that number in 2008.If Husky does pull their plug then I see it as bad business for Husky.This country in in a crunch right now.
For the ones on here having saws shipped from various site sponsors.. Keep it to yourself where you got it..Otherwise we are about to ruin a good thing for those that do not have a local dealer.
I would have no problem in buying "slightly used or demos" from a dealership.Just my 2 cents from Indiana

When you first started with Dolmar and put them in your catalog, I think then you were made aware that they couldn't be shipped. So, you didn't try to find some loophole to ship your saws - you decided not to continue with Dolmar.

Actually, we were told (by our distributer) we could ship Dolmar saws in 2006. That's why we put them in. Once the catalog printed, they changed their mind. It was not our intention to put products in our catalog that we could not supply. We looked pretty silly in January of 2007 when a customer called for a Dolmar chainsaw, and we said they were no longer available, right after he received his catalog. My original reason for subscribing to this thread is I thought maybe Dolmar had changed their policy again. I congratulate Tony on his ability to ship saws into poorly supplied markets and I hope more dealers jump on board. In the end, the customer wins (and so does Dolmar).

Actually, we were told (by our distributer) we could ship Dolmar saws in 2006. That's why we put them in. Once the catalog printed, they changed their mind. It was not our intention to put products in our catalog that we could not supply. We looked pretty silly in January of 2007 when a customer called for a Dolmar chainsaw, and we said they were no longer available, right after he received his catalog. My original reason for subscribing to this thread is I thought maybe Dolmar had changed their policy again. I congratulate Tony on his ability to ship saws into poorly supplied markets and I hope more dealers jump on board. In the end, the customer wins (and so does Dolmar).

Good post couldn't agree more

Well I tried to order a 7900 from Amick's, and as of today, no more will be shipped. Good for the few existing dealers I guess, but not for me. I really was a day late this time.

Dolmar has great saws, as good as any, and to compete with stihl and taken as serious, will have to have a policy just as good. no on line sales.

Dolmar has great saws, as good as any, and to compete with stihl and taken as serious, will have to have a policy just as good. no on line sales.
How else are they going to sell them? Not too many dealers. Nothing wrong with online sales.

In the nick of time

My 7900 came in a couple of days ago from Amrick's. Must have been one of the last few to get a shipped saw :clap:

There was no damage to the box or the saw but I agree it could have been packed better. Better safe then sorry.

Even though Dolmar makes a good saw there is no way they will be able to compete with Stihl, probably Husky too, without online sales. You need to get the saws into the hands of potential users who can spread the word just like here. You can't do that when the local Dolmar dealer doesn't even have any saws on the shelf and there is no advertising to say they sell Dolmar. I bought the 7900 because of what has been said here on AS. Without AS I wouldn't even know Dolmar existed. Compete with Stihl :buttkick:

Brian

I attempted to purchase one yesterday but found out that Amick closed around noon after the fact. So I as well have missed the boat on actually owning a Dolmar saw. It's really an awful idea to not have any net sales at all as they can't hope to compete with Stihl with very few local dealers. I hope they reconsider... or at least allow amick's to send me a 5100 ha!

I think you guys just about have me convinced that on line sales is the way to go. Dolmar and Stihl should shut down there local dealers and just have on-line sales. then when it needs a little fix'n you can just box it up, have the ups truck pick it up, deliver to a repair center and probably have it back in a few weeks good as new. that is a pain in the but to have to order a saw from the local dealer when he doesn't have one on the shelf. much easier to order the same saw on line. yes i'm just about convinced.:)

I think you guys just about have me convinced that on line sales is the way to go. Dolmar and Stihl should shut down there local dealers and just have on-line sales. then when it needs a little fix'n you can just box it up, have the ups truck pick it up, deliver to a repair center and probably have it back in a few weeks good as new. that is a pain in the but to have to order a saw from the local dealer when he doesn't have one on the shelf. much easier to order the same saw on line. yes i'm just about convinced.:)
?

and see I think most of us aren't saying that at all. Rather that if a local dealer can't compete as far as price then I'm sorry. You will get my repair business but you will not sell me a saw until money is no object. For me their is NO dolmar dealer and that's the saw I'm convinced I want to run... ALL that is avail near me is a Stihl which the only thing I want is a 361 and don't want to spend that sort of money on. I want a nice saw from a company people may have not heard from up here to perhaps help increase the growth of a company (Dolmar) and convince dealers that maybe they should think of carrying such a brand.

If you think most of these mechanical businesses keep their doors open by sales alone you are mistaken. I can tell you that in the car business mechanics are the ones who keep dealerships open. I also know from experience that if you have a saw problem you are 10 times more likely to receive assistance as if you're buying a new saw. They all say "The saw sells itself" and if that's true... make them compete for their prices even if it's within 30 bucks or so. Sales tax here is 10%. I'm sorry but that's much to high when shipping is around 30... saving 30 bucks on saw and paying 30 shipping still saves me upwards of 30+ bucks on just one purchase.

Latest posts

Back