Dolmar 7900 Report = NICE!, AMICK'S Rave too...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I guess dolmar has to decide if they want to allow or not allow online sales. Dolmar is in a tough postion because they are both trying to acquire more dealers and get more product familiarity in the US. Deciding to go with online sales has its good and bad points. IMO the bad points outweigh the good points.

The good
1) It gets more units out there quicker to facilitate product familiarity.
2) Total volume of sales will be probably higher

The bad
1) Drives the selling price down so the local non internet dealers have a tough time competing. This in turn closes b&m dealers.

2) It makes local dealers support/service saws they didn't sell. Yes the local dealers may get financially rewarded with service work, but that is not always the case. They also will get support phone calls about trivial items from unknowledgeable/uninformed users who bought their saws online.

3) Turns away new b&m dealers if the online market is already saturated.

4) Creates bad blood towards their long time established dealers. For example say dealer x has been selling dolmars for the last 20+ years and now some big online startup retailer is selling them. Sooner or later this is going to affect dealer x who has been committed to dolmar for the last 20 years. Eventhough the startup retailer has only been in business a short time they will probably get the saws for a bigger discount than dealer x because they are moving a larger volume.

5) Potentially puts a lower quality product in the hands of uninformed end users. Dealers who decide they want to become online dealers may or may not even have much chainsaw knowledge to begin with. They are only selling the saws because there is a margin to be made and they know they can move a lot of volume. Customer X buys a saw from one of these online dealers and needs a part or has a support question. Who does he go to if their are no b&m dealers nearby?

Well no stihl, husky or dormar sells online. I guess that leaves the door open for solo.
marketing people for stihl, husky and dolmar must be real stupid not to see it the way some of you do. send them an email and get them on the right track.

To hell with online sales and all that, who in here knows anything about a Husky 61? I just had one come in with a cooked cylinder, man took home a Stihl and said toss that Husky. Saw is in great shape. What cc is it, I'm thinking about adding this baby to the collection. All info is welcome...

I guess dolmar has to decide if they want to allow or not allow online sales. Dolmar is in a tough postion because they are both trying to acquire more dealers and get more product familiarity in the US. Deciding to go with online sales has its good and bad points. IMO the bad points outweigh the good points.

The good

The bad
1) Drives the selling price down so the local non internet dealers have a tough time competing. This in turn closes b&m dealers.

2) It makes local dealers support/service saws they didn't sell. Yes the local dealers may get financially rewarded with service work, but that is not always the case. They also will get support phone calls about trivial items from unknowledgeable/uninformed users who bought their saws online.

4) Creates bad blood towards their long time established dealers. For example say dealer x has been selling dolmars for the last 20+ years and now some big online startup retailer is selling them. Sooner or later this is going to affect dealer x who has been committed to dolmar for the last 20 years. Eventhough the startup retailer has only been in business a short time they will probably get the saws for a bigger discount than dealer x because they are moving a larger volume.

5) Potentially puts a lower quality product in the hands of uninformed end users. Dealers who decide they want to become online dealers may or may not even have much chainsaw knowledge to begin with. They are only selling the saws because there is a margin to be made and they know they can move a lot of volume. Customer X buys a saw from one of these online dealers and needs a part or has a support question. Who does he go to if their are no b&m dealers nearby?

you nailed it. well put.

To hell with online sales and all that, who in here knows anything about a Husky 61? I just had one come in with a cooked cylinder, man took home a Stihl and said toss that Husky. Saw is in great shape. What cc is it, I'm thinking about adding this baby to the collection. All info is welcome...

thall, that was a good saw. I might have a piston/cyl for it. about 61cc.

The good

The bad

Yeah that's actually a fantastic way of putting it. I still want to see Internet sales but I guess I wont any time soon.

Thing is, my Dolmar dealer's prices were right there with the online prices, considering shipping, etc. The local Husky dealer was way off of the prices Bailey's had on their Husky saws, so it can go either way.

Of course I'd like to see more people try the Dolmar saws, but hey, if they don't it's no skin off my back. I'm just glad that I have a good local dealer.

I can kinda see the whole "uninformed user" angle, but I don't think it's as applicable as some people make it out to be. If I had no clue at all about saws, I don't think my dealer would have even known, as brief as the sales experience was.

Service is the big issue. But some people have no problem boxing up their saw and shipping for service, so why kink that? Simple solution is to register your saw where you bought it, and that's where it goes for warranty work if needed, which I don't see a lot of with any "big-brand" saw. After the warranty is up, of course you can take it anywhere that can get parts and is capable of doing the work properly.

On paper it looks good, but you'd have a hard time giving one of those things away here in North Easter PA. I've yet to come accross a Dolmar or Solo dealer and I cover alot of ground, plus there not exactly giving these things away to steal the business away from the orange and white, wich is tried and true. I have no gripe with internet sales, but i'd rather deal with a live person face to face.:popcorn:

On paper it looks good, but you'd have a hard time giving one of those things away here in North Easter PA. I've yet to come accross a Dolmar or Solo dealer and I cover alot of ground, plus there not exactly giving these things away to steal the business away from the orange and white, wich is tried and true. I have no gripe with internet sales, but i'd rather deal with a live person face to face.:popcorn:

According to the dealer locater, for ZIP 18013 Bangor: (Recognize any?)

5.6 mi GUNTHER'S SAW & TOOL SHARPENIN

USA-18353 SAYLORSBURG
RD 3 BOX 3586
8.7 mi NORTHAMPTON FARM BUREAU CORP

USA-18085 TATAMY
300 BUSHKILL STREET
12 mi TOMMY'S SMALL ENGINE REPAIR

PEN-18064 NAZARETH
3470 DANIELS ROAD
15 mi COBBLEWOOD AG USA

USA-07825 BLAIRSTOWN
19 COBBLEWOOD ROAD
20 mi MORGAN'S RENTALS

NJ-07840 HACKETTSTOWN
120 ROUTE 46, RD 2
21 mi L & D TOOL RENTAL INC

USA-18347 POCONO LAKE
HC 87 BOX 784
24 mi MADLE'S MOWER SALES & SERVICE

USA-18036 COOPERSBURG
3570 LANARK ROAD
26 mi HAHN MOWER SERVICE

USA-18104 ALLENTOWN
832 HAUSMAN ROAD
27 mi SUSSEX COUNTY RENTAL CENTER

USA-7821 ANDOVER
188 Main Street
28 mi THE MOWER DOCTOR

NJ-07860 NEWTON
89 HAMPTON HOUSE RD
38 mi KOCH'S LAWN & GARDEN

USA-17960 NEW RINGGOLD
1044 SUMMER VALLEY ROAD
39 mi MORRIS COUNTY POWER EQUIPMENT

USA-7960 MORRISTOWN
26 EMMETT AVENUE

According to the dealer locater, for ZIP 18013 Bangor: (Recognize any?)

5.6 mi GUNTHER'S SAW & TOOL SHARPENIN

USA-18353 SAYLORSBURG
RD 3 BOX 3586
8.7 mi NORTHAMPTON FARM BUREAU CORP

USA-18085 TATAMY
300 BUSHKILL STREET
12 mi TOMMY'S SMALL ENGINE REPAIR

PEN-18064 NAZARETH
3470 DANIELS ROAD
15 mi COBBLEWOOD AG USA

USA-07825 BLAIRSTOWN
19 COBBLEWOOD ROAD
20 mi MORGAN'S RENTALS

NJ-07840 HACKETTSTOWN
120 ROUTE 46, RD 2
21 mi L & D TOOL RENTAL INC

USA-18347 POCONO LAKE
HC 87 BOX 784
24 mi MADLE'S MOWER SALES & SERVICE

USA-18036 COOPERSBURG
3570 LANARK ROAD
26 mi HAHN MOWER SERVICE

USA-18104 ALLENTOWN
832 HAUSMAN ROAD
27 mi SUSSEX COUNTY RENTAL CENTER

USA-7821 ANDOVER
188 Main Street
28 mi THE MOWER DOCTOR

NJ-07860 NEWTON
89 HAMPTON HOUSE RD
38 mi KOCH'S LAWN & GARDEN

USA-17960 NEW RINGGOLD
1044 SUMMER VALLEY ROAD
39 mi MORRIS COUNTY POWER EQUIPMENT

USA-7960 MORRISTOWN
26 EMMETT AVENUE

I wish I had even 1 of those dealers here... that's a whole lot of options if you ask me.

Well I tried to order a 7900 from Amick's, and as of today, no more will be shipped. Good for the few existing dealers I guess, but not for me. I really was a day late this time.

Edge and Engine... I won't beat around the bush. Did you rat Tony out?

Ian

Well, that explains why they didn't have any 7900s a week or so ago...I tried to become a Dolmar owner, really I did!

I have one dealer about 25 miles away, and 3 more within 50 miles. I called the closest one to buy the 7900 - he didn't have one, tried to convince me that the 6400 would run a 32-inch bar, and then said he could order one in for $820, head only, PLUS shipping!

I wasn't asking him to be rock-bottom, but had he been even close to Amick's price, I would have gotten it from him just to support the local dealer. Instead, he decided he wanted to make the most of his exclusivity - it cost him (and Dolmar) a customer.

-=[ Grant ]=-

All,

This topic really interests me, let me tell you why....

I just bought a 7900 from my local dealer. I can do most of the work on the saw and all regular maintenance, so that didn't really force the issue.

I bought a 359 on line about a year ago and wanted a bigger saw. I'd be running a new 372 that I probably would have bought from Bailey's on line, BUT, since Husky saw fit to end on line sales and all on AS seemed to really like the Dolmar that's the way I went.

To be honest, I wasn't sure if Dolmar was available on line but I checked the prices there and visited my local dealer. The Dolmar dealer was only 6 miles away. My local dealer was $649 + 6 percent to the Governor with a 24" bar. Tough to beat that deal.

I'm thrilled with the deal and the saw. I only have two tanks through so far and this saw screams.

Thanks to AS, I've got it bad (chainsaw disease)......and good! (the deal that is..) :clap:

JD in PA

I'd be running a new 372 that I probably would have bought from Bailey's on line, BUT, since Husky saw fit to end on line sales and all on AS seemed to really like the Dolmar that's the way I went.

great example of this hurts themselfs.

here husky got hurt. now its domalrs turn and they have much more to loose considering 90%+ of their dealers are NON stocking. how many stihl dealers have no saws in stock?

:popcorn:

Yep...ole Tony is a pretty good ole boy! That $10 is prob the $10 I sent him a week or so ago so he could eat. Doesnt sound like he gets much to eat lately. Doing business with him is a pleasure, quick shipping.

Thanks Buck for your contribution so we can feed the family and send my daughter to College. We thank everyone for the business they send our way.

We have Dolmar parts available online if you need any. Thanks Tony

Hey Skytow,just curious where the closest dealer is,I am also in se Pa. Chub

Well, I called every one of the local dealers that showed on the Dolmar list near my own town and the area we shop at in NH... This was about a dozen shops. Two couldn't be bothered to return a phone call. I don't think any of them had a 7900 in stock. One said he'd sold lots of the 6400's and 7300's, but didn't remember ever selling a 7900 (so much for "experienced local service?) - the closest in price was also closest to me, but wanted over $100 more for just the powerhead than Tony was selling the 7900 w/ a 20" bar and chain for, (but was real anxious to sell me a fancy case) plus I would have had to pay an extra $35 to the Beacon Hill gangsters - (Tony wanted $20 for Fred's Ex) Most of the "official" dealers wanted MORE than my local lawnmower guy, who is not a dealer but could get one through his distributor...

I generally PREFER to deal locally, but I also look for a reasonably competetive price - 5-10%, including the difference between the shipping and the local-shopping penalty is my usual margin that I'm willing to pay extra for local shopping, this wasn't even close.

I gave the local dealer a chance to price match, WITHOUT saying anything about "on-line" - just that I'd had a better price elsewhere and was he willing to bend a bit... No Go!

I debated with myself whether it would still be better to get the local dealer even at the higher price. I decided that the ONLY thing the local dealer really offered was possibly better warranty service - Once out of warranty, it doesn't seem to me like there is any restriction on where I take the saw, or any real advantage to having dealt with the local shop... I said the Dolmar warranty is only one year, the amount of cutting I do isn't that huge, so the odds of me needing service are pretty low, so it was worth the risk.

I didn't price shop locally for a new Stihl or Husky, as I found several dealers that listed prices (for local pickup only) and they weren't anywhere close to what I could afford, so I didn't think it was worthwhile.

I was also looking at used saws. I could probably have gotten a used saw from one or two AS members that were advertising in the trading post, probably a Stihl, but the price being asked was only a little less than what Tony wanted for the new Dolmar 7900, so it was worth it to me to spend the extra in order to avoid the potential risks of purchasing used...

So, while I'm glad I got in under the wire on the new saw, what would have been different if I hadn't? - Well, I was maxing out my budget purchasing the 7900 from Tony, so the local dealer probably would NOT have gotten the sale either way, so Dolmar didn't help the local dealer by shutting Tony down. I probably would have ended up with a used saw, and given the relative numbers of saws in the used market, it wouldn't have been a Dolmar - so Dolmar would have lost the chance to sell me ANY saw, and whatever benefit I give Tony (or ALL the local dealers) by posting my positive opinions about them... Given that the most effective advertisement is a happy customer, and there are LOTS of people still out there that DON'T shop on-line, preventing on-line bargain sales hurts both Dolmar overall, and the local dealers who don't get the potential out of warranty service business or the new sales from the customers that are willing to pay extra to shop locally...

FWIW, I have just left a message to this effect on Dolmar USA's website, and may give them a call tomorrow.

Gooserider

Latest posts

Back