Dolmar 7900 Report = NICE!, AMICK'S Rave too...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
But I am a homeowner, not the pro market that I agree is where Dolmaree needs to make inroads. So what does having cheap online sales do? IMHO the pro by definition is going to already have a favorite brand of saw, probably either H or S... The big challenge is to get the pro to TRY the other brand, and the only way you are likely to do that is to
1. Get enough saws into other pro's hands to get some reputation built so that there is a reason for the target pro to be interested in giving the brand a try.
2. Make the price enough lower than the favorite brand comparable model to make it worth the pro's time to try the experiment.
(You have to do both, as I doubt you could get the pro's into "Pull-ons" :jawdrop: even if they were free...)

IMHO Dolmar seems to have done a pretty good job on number one...
Yes "inroads" is the word I meant to use. I knew "inrows" just didn't seem right lol.

IMO I think Dolmar hasn't yet put enough saws in the hands of pro users. In the big logging states dolmar's presence is spotty at best. The things they do have going for them is they offer a quality good performing product that is generally priced lower than the comparable husky, jonsered, or stihl models.

A few of the hurdles they have to overcome
1) Humans are creatures of habit so why would a pro user who has been using brand x for the last 20 years and his father used brand x want to try brand y? Especially when they are familiar and completed satisfied with brand x.

2) Most pro users already have a good working relationship with their dealer of brand x. Why would they want to go out on a limb and try to build a relationship with a new startup dealer carrying a brand of saw they know little or nothing about?

I think the best way for dolmar to overcome these is to try to get existing well established dealers to take on dolmar instead of focusing on getting new dealers started.

As a point in case, I just looked, Amick's may not be shipping, but their website still lists prices. (I don't feel it is unreasonable to point that out, it's a public URL, so Dolmar NA isn't going to see anything on this thread they couldn't see for themselves)

Sugarbush is LOWER than what Amick's is quoting, and 166 is within $40, assuming that you had competitive pricing on the other stuff I wanted along with the saw, either of you would have gotten my sale if you were one of my local dealers. E&E, you are a little higher, but I would have definitely considered you, though that price is on the edge.

So it certainly suggests that it is NOT impossible to compete with the discount shippers if the local dealer chooses to -

My nearest local dealer would have been $725 plus 5% tax (shipping from Tony was less than the tax) for the saw 6 weeks ago, and was also higher on some of the other things I wanted at the same time... My package comparison was Tony @ $835, vs the local dealer at $915 - The dealer would have had to order the saw and take at least two days, and I would have had to burn gas to go pick it up. Tony was going to take 3-5 days (turned out to be 3) to put it on my doorstep... Aside from possibly better warranty service, IF NEEDED, what is the local dealer offering that's worth $80 extra?

(Note that the local dealer is still likely to get my non-warranty service, and possibly my accessory business)

Gooserider

How many Dolmar units do you 'guesstimate' that your dealer sells annually?

To me?? I bought 8 new this year from him..........I have no idea what he sells to others........

Great guy and worth the drive.........My closest dealer sells about 13 units a year and sell's at list has no inventory and sells spark plugs for 5.50ea...

Thats why I drive to buy....

And I get some great used saws from him too....

To me?? I bought 8 new this year from him..........I have no idea what he sells to others........

Great guy and worth the drive.........My closest dealer sells about 13 units a year and sell's at list has no inventory and sells spark plugs for 5.50ea...

What do you pay for a 7900 w/ 20" bar?
He's probably getting them $30-$50 less than we do, depending on the program...

I mean, yes we're small. About like that other dealer you mentioned.

Last edited:
Very true, you need to get the saw in the face of the potential customer, and adding the line to an existing dealership that has relations with the pros getting brand X from them is going to be much more effective than creating new dealers. (I don't know how easy that is, how "exclusive" are dealer franchises for competing brands?)

However to get the pro to try brand Y instead of brand X, you also need to provide the incentive to switch - Even for a sizeable pro-operation, a saw is a significant investment, it's not like a box of breakfast cereal, so I doubt the pro will try a brand Y if it costs him the same as the brand X he is used to and likes. OTOH, if the dealer can offer to save him a significant sum, then it might be worth his time and effort to give it a try... From the prior posts it appears that this is possible IF THE LOCAL DEALER WANTS TO...

Gooserider

Yes "inroads" is the word I meant to use. I knew "inrows" just didn't seem right lol.

IMO I think Dolmar hasn't yet put enough saws in the hands of pro users. In the big logging states dolmar's presence is spotty at best. The things they do have going for them is they offer a quality good performing product that is generally priced lower than the comparable husky, jonsered, or stihl models.

A few of the hurdles they have to overcome
1) Humans are creatures of habit so why would a pro user who has been using brand x for the last 20 years and his father used brand x want to try brand y? Especially when they are familiar and completed satisfied with brand x.

2) Most pro users already have a good working relationship with their dealer of brand x. Why would they want to go out on a limb and try to build a relationship with a new startup dealer carrying a brand of saw they know little or nothing about?

I think the best way for dolmar to overcome these is to try to get existing well established dealers to take on dolmar instead of focusing on getting new dealers started.

btw, "list" for a 7900 with 20" bar is over $800.

btw, "list" for a 7900 with 20" bar is over $800.

Interesting - I wonder what Tony is using for "reference prices" then, as the website says as of a couple minutes ago..
Dolmar PS7900 20 Chainsaw
Amick's Price $759.95
Amick's Sale Price: $679.95
You Save $80.00!

OTOH, many of the prices I was quoted locally were higher than $800

Gooserider

Interesting - I wonder what Tony is using for "reference prices" then, as the website says as of a couple minutes ago..

OTOH, many of the prices I was quoted locally were higher than $800

Gooserider

List price for a 7900 PHO (powerhead) is $799.95. An Oregon 20" Power Match bar list is $53.82.
$853.77

So... Makita/Dolmar Recession

So we are as a group surprised that a large multi-national company (Makita) is trying to limit their exposure and keep their small name (Dolmar) out there, and keep marketing their pseudo-pro line of Makita 6401's at Home Depot, but make all of their other lines of saws go through a dealer network without good regional warehousing?

It may sound like a strange run-on sentence, but why wouldn't they limit their exposure and make as much money as they can on their saws (Makita) and try to keep the dealer network relatively exclusive? Their aren't a lot of pro-users out there anymore, and they certainly won't be needing a lot of saws in the next 5 years with the slowdown in the economy.

With logging slowing down, and the landscaping industry becoming A LOT MORE FRUGAL due to the slowdown, I expect less guys will be buying their saws in the next year from the dealer network. More of them will charge up their credit cards at HD/LOWES with Echo/Makita, and when they can't keep their contracts in the coming summer, and fuel ain't getting cheaper, and people are cutting back, and mowing their own lawns, and not having good tree work done, I personally see Makita/Dolmar simply limiting their exposure to the fallout.

For a time I worked in the land-clearing business, and they haven't moved their skidders or hydro-axes' yet this year. This is a 40 year old company. Things are pretty tight right now.

Dolmar is a small company in the grand scheme of equipment, but Makita has their hands full with their current exposure levels to the economy and their ties to flailing companies. A little enforcement this week of a rule will probably smooth out in a couple of months, and I hope they can ship again in the future. I know I got my kit, and I am glad I did... To me this whole thing is just a sign of the times.

Last edited:
Dolmar has almost zero exposure, and many of their dealers are DDINO's(Dolmar Dealer in name only). Net sales would be a good way to change this.
The fact of the matter is if you asked 10 loggers about Dolmar saws 9 would say they never heard of them and one would say you mean Sachs....

I won't beat around the bush either. I contacted DOLMAR to find out why I wasn't allowed to sell saws mail-order, when others were doing so, on a public forum, a forum where the DOLMAR North America technical manager is a member. Look at it like this:

You decide to take on a new equipment brand. You do the research, you find that they make a great product, well liked by end-users. You also find out that they aren't sold in box stores (+1), and do not allow online sales. (Alright with me). You sign up, and you're told specifically, in your face, no shipping of wholegoods. Period You sign your name to it. Then you go online and find out that this equipment IS being sold mail-order, publicly. You think to yourself, what's going on? I mean, if he is allowed to, why can't I? So you contact the company, and they say NO we do not support such sales. OK. Maybe you're discriminating against me, because I'm a little guy, and the other guy moves a lot more, so it's OK if he does it. But not you.
Then, hours later, you find out that this particular dealer is no longer shipping saws (quick work, DOLMAR:dizzy:, I guess you mean what you say!!).
I have to commend DOLMAR on their loyalty to the independent dealers, something that's becoming rarer and rarer. That is the quality that will make a company successful. Not whether or not they allow online sales.

Now you can bash me and call me names all you want:cheers:

Personally I don't have any problem with that. If Tony wants to sell his saws for $1 above cost, (for that matter, I don't care if he gives them away!), that's his business. But if I have to play by the rules, I don't see why he shouldn't have to.

FOR YOUR INFORMATION: The only reason we started selling Dolmar was for online sales. We were upfront from the beginning with our Dist. and we never tried to hide that fact as we were going to sale online before we ever placed an order. I am not here to blame anyone. I do have a copy of your email. I do notice that you sell Shindaiwa wholegood attachments online for sale by clicking a button. Do you have permission? Just wondering. Sounds like the pot calling the kettle black.

As for pricing, we have a minimum advertised price and my pricing is at or above those set by Dolmar. All prices are set by the dealers. I get calls from all over the US and most of the time these customers say they have no dealers around. I have sent many to local dealers as I search and help them. We get many calls for parts and accessories because we are aggressive on advertising as we are living in a changing world and we know that online sales are booming. We had a great year last year with online sales and these last two months we have had the best months ever online. I just want to thank everyone for their kind words and all those orders. Call if we can help. Tony

FOR YOUR INFORMATION: The only reason we started selling Dolmar was for online sales. We were upfront from the beginning with our Dist. and we never tried to hide that fact as we were going to sale online before we ever placed an order. I am not here to blame anyone. I do have a copy of your email. I do notice that you sell Shindaiwa wholegood attachments online for sale by clicking a button. Do you have permission? Just wondering. Sounds like the pot calling the kettle black.

As for pricing, we have a minimum advertised price and my pricing is at or above those set by Dolmar. All prices are set by the dealers. I get calls from all over the US and most of the time these customers say they have no dealers around. I have sent many to local dealers as I search and help them. We get many calls for parts and accessories because we are aggressive on advertising as we are living in a changing world and we know that online sales are booming. We had a great year last year with online sales and these last two months we have had the best months ever online. I just want to thank everyone for their kind words and all those orders. Call if we can help. Tony

I appreciate the information, and all the wonderful service that I got from you and Amick's (If you have a boss, feel free to show this to him, I think good service deserves credit and mentions to boss types in hopes that it carries additional reward$)

I realize there isn't a whole lot I can do to change the policy of a major corporation, but for whatever it's worth, I left messages via both phone and voice mail to Dolmar N.A. telling them that I felt their "no online sales" policy was a poor decision, and urging them to change it.

Gooserider

There really is not a lot I can add to what has been said, but I will try! Around my area there is not much by way of choices when it comes to saw dealers. I am hardcore when it comes to supporting local businesses. I ran a local auto repair shop and learned that the box stores do not spend much at the local level. But the local business owners do. That being said, there is a financial limit too my decisions. After 20 years in customer service, most as a manager, I do have certain expectations of what I will accept for service when I do spend my money. So, I will spend the money for the service.

I started to burn wood again and needed a new saw. I had a sweet 2065 that I bought from a local dealer. I loved that saw. The selling dealers tech turned it into a boat anchor for me. The dealer wouldn't do squat about it, so I was not going to buy another there.

I researched the Dolmar and liked what I read, so I decided to go that route. I checked with several "dealers" listed on Dolmars site. One had sold 2 saws in 18 months. They had a demo 5100 for $474. The 7900 would have to be ordered for $720, PHO. Plus I would have to pay the shipping. Since they did not stock bars or chains, those would need to ordered also. The other dealers were the same price or more. Several were rental shops, one never answered the phone. No one stocked parts or saw related gear.

I had issues with the Stihl dealer in a few business dealings, so he was out. I know of a decent Husky-JRed dealer about 60 miles away. But I will not travel that far for mediocre pricing and slow service work. So, I was pretty much stuck.

I ended up ordering from Tony at Amicks. Great person to deal with. Knew his stuff cold and did what it took to make me happy. If I was a manufacturer I would cultivate this person and give him what he needed to make my business better.

As a side note, I have fixed other things I own while on the phone with a tech. It does not replace a knowledgeable tech in person, but if you have no choice, why should it not be an option? I think saw dealers are starting to go the way of the tractor dealers around here.

Just because a company can put a push pin in a map and say we have dealer there does not mean they have a company "representative" in that area. They just have someplace to ship a few signs and a bundle of brochures once a year. I would not want these people to represent me.

All of these dealers order from the same wholesale warehouse. This warehouse sells outdoor related equipment and products, not just saws. If Dolmar wanted to get the saws out, they should have dealers offer a special price on saws the dealer only acts as a pass thru for. Why the heck should I pay an extra $100 plus shipping for something the dealer will have in his store for less than a day?

Dolmar and Husky can chose to keep sales restricted to servicing dealers the same as Stihl does. But first they need to make sure they have the network set up that Stihl does. I have been in many Stihl shops and every one so far has had saws, parts and supplies on the shelf. I agree to a point that a dealer can add to the reputation of a brand. But for crying out load, make sure it is positive first.

I was told parts & accessories are OK, I honestly never thought about it that attachments would not fall under that, but I am going to find out.

I mentioned in another post, I don't have a problem with your or anyone's pricing.

Some people want the pie split up equally.

Other's want the pie to grow and are less concerned about someone's slice because if the pie grows big enough, every-body's slice gets bigger.

Latest posts

Back