Echo and Husqvarna parts availability/sources?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zuren

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I hope to be in the market for a chainsaw later this year so I'm weighing my options among the big 3 - Echo, Husqvarna and Stihl. Stihl requires you to go to the dealer to buy parts. I picked up a spark plug for my Stihl string trimmer the other day at the dealer and was not impressed that it cost $7 (I checked later to find I could have had it for $3-4 elsewhere). Where do guys with Husqvarna and Echo saws source parts if you do your own wrenching and do not rely on the dealer?

The heavy reliance on the dealer for new Stihl parts is turning me off a bit. My other issue with Stihl dealers is that I cannot get to their store before or after work without being late or leaving early; looks bad. I know guys love Stihl but I may be happier with Echo or Husqvarna. I just want to make sure that finding everything I need online is really true.

Thanks!

Stihl makes it very difficult to buy parts online apparently. With Husky, they provide all of the IPL's free on their website all the way back to the mid 80's and allow their dealers to freely sell online. While not so good for the dealers without an online presence, this is great for people like me with a mild case of CAD.

It's hard to believe dealers are prohibited from selling the way people need or want to buy these days. Why is Stihl's policy like so?

I'm sure they have a good reason, maybe even to protect their dealer network in some way. Or it's just for pricing control. Who knows? I stopped into my local friendly dealer today to order some new Stihl loops for my Husky's but the boss is away and he's the guy who would tell me.

It's hard to believe dealers are prohibited from selling the way people need or want to buy these days. Why is Stihl's policy like so?
Dolmar, jonsered, and im sure husky is the same way. For jonsered only certain models are allowed to be sold online. Dolmar doesnt allow any chainsaw sales online. I would think husky would have limits on online sales of at least the XP models. parts wise husky/jonsered/echo/dolmar all allow online sales of parts and freely post their IPL's online and even right on their websites.

online sales of saws are prohibited for a variety of reasons. limiting their warranty exposure, brand reputation, dealer territory protection, keeping local dealers for parts and service all likely play a factor in the decision to allow sales or not

IMO, not allowing sales of certain saws is the manufactors perogative. Since I have most of the dealers around me it doesn't really hurt. It might be a different story if I was in middle of nowhere.

I like having IPLs though. I haven't bought a Stihl because of that.

I like having IPLs though. I haven't bought a Stihl because of that.

I didn't realize Stihl didn't provide IPLs; another strike against Stihl (IMO).

I have no problem with new saws not being sold online but restricting the parts availability is really irritating.

All Husqvarna saws used to be available on line. Then they stopped it. Then you could buy the consumer saws also sold at home centers (Sears, Lowes, etc.) on line, but not the Pro saws. Now you can buy the Pro saws on line (or at least by telephone) again, but the sellers cannot adverstise prices below MSRP (?). It changes. It would be surprising if Jonsered saws were not available on line, since the parent company 'downgraded' its status from an elite line to a Tractor Supply brand.

I have had trouble finding aftermarket ECHO parts, although, I can order OEM parts from some ECHO dealers on line. Oregon lists bars and chains that will fit in their selector (e.g 56Dl bar and chain to replace 57DL OEM) , but not replacement spur sprockets or sprocket drums for many saws. Don't know if this is a demand issue, or some kind of non-compete agreement.

Many STIHL parts (spark plug, bar, chain, sprockets, air filters, fuel filters, etc.) are available as aftermarket products for popular saws, especially Pro models, from vendors like Baileys.

Philbert

I find Baileys to be often cheaper (some times a lot cheaper even for OEM husky) than a lot of on line ebay sellers especially if you consider the rip off shipping from some ebay sellers. I actually don't even know where a local husky dealer is?
Yet...The local Stihl guy (1.5 miles) sold me 2 13rm72 chains cheaper than baileys would.
My chain saw and cut off saw repairing days are winding down for now. Most every thing is running and I need to get back to bikes, trucks and tractors. :cheers:

A new Husky dealer opened here. I went to check them out and throw them some business. Seemed like nice folks. Bought an Oregon 3/8-7 rim sprocket. He ordered it, said it'd take a few days to get there. $14.50. I can't afford the dealer. I could order an Oregon rim for $6 and get in a few days. I'm gonna try some aftermarket rims - just ordered 10 for $17.90 shipped. Will see if they last as long. At $1.79, they really don't need to, though.

Some Stihl parts are available on eBay or through Bailey's. There are a couple of Echo and Husqvarna dealers on this site.

Baileys is pretty much pulling out of offering OEM Stihl parts per the head guy there.

We use the Woodland side of Baileys (dealer/resale) and their prices aren't too bad.

Baileys is pretty much pulling out of offering OEM Stihl parts per the head guy there.

We use the Woodland side of Baileys (dealer/resale) and their prices aren't too bad.
For Alaska they might not be bad. I buy a few things through there but cant afford the prices on the rest of it and the shipping is a joke. I think they take Alaska shipping prices and apply them to the rest of the country.

A new Husky dealer opened here. I went to check them out and throw them some business. Seemed like nice folks. Bought an Oregon 3/8-7 rim sprocket. He ordered it, said it'd take a few days to get there. $14.50. I can't afford the dealer. I could order an Oregon rim for $6 and get in a few days. I'm gonna try some aftermarket rims - just ordered 10 for $17.90 shipped. Will see if they last as long. At $1.79, they really don't need to, though.

Wow, I just picked up 4 of these (Powermate) from my local Husky dealer and they were a little over $6 each. Sounds like he is trying to pay for the store in a few months!

Latest posts

Back