Echo Gloves: not that Safe?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul Bunions

ArboristSite Operative
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
I finally broke down and ordered some chaps, and when I read that the top of the left hand was one of the most common sites for injuries, I also ordered some Echo safety gloves. I didn't look at them too carefully. I figured Echo would know how to make a safety glove.

They have two big features: vibration protection and cut protection. I'm all for the vibration protection. My right hand feels a little funny sometimes, and I think it may have something to do with the time I've put in with angle grinders.

I thought the gloves would contain the same stuff as chaps. Looks like they do not. Far as I can tell, they rely on kevlar to prevent cuts.

I am not overly impressed with kevlar. From riding motorcycles, I know it is vastly inferior to leather when it comes to preventing road rash. Not even in the same universe.

I've used kevlar gloves for cutting up fish, but they had stainless wires in them, and a filet knife is not a chainsaw.

Did I get the wrong gloves?

I finally broke down and ordered some chaps, and when I read that the top of the left hand was one of the most common sites for injuries, I also ordered some Echo safety gloves. I didn't look at them too carefully. I figured Echo would know how to make a safety glove.

They have two big features: vibration protection and cut protection. I'm all for the vibration protection. My right hand feels a little funny sometimes, and I think it may have something to do with the time I've put in with angle grinders.

I thought the gloves would contain the same stuff as chaps. Looks like they do not. Far as I can tell, they rely on kevlar to prevent cuts.

I am not overly impressed with kevlar. From riding motorcycles, I know it is vastly inferior to leather when it comes to preventing road rash. Not even in the same universe.

I've used kevlar gloves for cutting up fish, but they had stainless wires in them, and a filet knife is not a chainsaw.

Did I get the wrong gloves?

Kevlar and courdoura are fairly close. I would say practice awareness and mindfulness instead of relying on gimmicky-gloves.

Not safety advice, but the leather vs kevlar comparison with bikes and chainsaws is apples and oranges. Leather is like cutting butter to a chainsaw, but Kevlar fibers will stop a saw faster than a chain brake.

Back