Economical chain grinding

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fields_mj

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I had a random thought this morning (which can be very dangerous for me). I've used a few different ways to sharpen chains over the years (file, Dremel tool, timberline), but I've never used an actual chain grinder. I do some volunteer work with a group that does disaster relief, including storm cleanup. I remember seeing a video of a guy YEARS ago who did this kind of work, but he would go and just sharpen chains for people. He used a Dremel tool, and I'm guessing he either had an inverter or a small generator. If a guy were going to do something like that, is there a reasonable chain grinder that could be used in conjunction with a small generator? I'm thinking a person would want 2 or 3 of these (one for each size: .325. 3/8, 3/8 LP) so a high end system doesn't make sense. I guess I'm thinking more along the lines of a harbor freight type system. There are VERY few people that I've seen on these crews that are particular about their chains being sharp, so I would think that an expensive setup would be a wasted effort. However, we're normally cutting in a neighborhood somewhere where the trees have rocks, nails, wire and such in them so it would be good to have a way to make things sharp again rather quickly. I'm thinking of something along the lines of bolting a couple grinders to different sides of a 2' x 2' or 4' x 4' piece of 3/4" plywood and either clamp that to the tailgate or a portable table. Not sure if the $30 HF grinders are worth messing with or not, but a +$200 Oregon is certainly out of the budget.

Any thoughts, or ideas?

Thanks,
Mark

Don't take this the wrong way but sharpening chains for such a crew would be much like waking up in hell.

People who run dull chains are usually pretty good at getting them dull.

$200 isn't much of a budget.

Don't take this the wrong way but sharpening chains for such a crew would be much like waking up in hell.

People who run dull chains are usually pretty good at getting them dull.

$200 isn't much of a budget.
As someone who is known to have a bit of an obsession with keeping things sharp, I totally understand where you are coming from and I've met some of those people. I'm not going to say that such people are not in the groups that I'm talking about, but I will say that there are a lot more opportunities to dull a chain doing storm cleanup than what I encounter cutting firewood. I insist on keeping my chains sharp at all times, but I accept the fact that I'm not normal (in a lot of ways).

I know there are a number of "inexpensive" systems out there. I also know that there are people (like me) who would never be happy with systems like this and would insist on having a system that costs several hundred dollars if I was going to own one to use on my own equipment. I also know that places like HF, ebay, and Amazon have some cheap junk that's worthless at any cost, but they also have some stuff that does a reasonable job at a very good price. When it comes to grinders like this, I have way of knowing which one is which. In this application, the saw has likely run through at least 3 or 4 tanks of fuel, the chain was sharp to begin with and has not been sharpened since, and we'll assume it was only cutting clean wood. In my book, that chain is dull and I'm looking for a grinder that will get it 80% - 90% back to where it was at the start of the day. If a cheap grinder just won't do that job, then its good to know that now. However, if there are grinders that will do the job, it would be good to know which ones or (better yet) how to tell the difference so that only acceptable grinders are purchased.

Mark,

Several issues in your post to touch on. I have volunteered with disaster / storm cleanup groups for many years, and consequently, learned a lot about chains and sharpening through those experiences.

Disasters are hard on chains. Volunteers are hard on chains. Sharpening them often requires more work than just touching up cutters after cutting some clean firewood.

For this use, I would recommend a full sized (5-3/4 inch), full powered grinder. The Tecomec ‘Compact’ is a basic version that can be purchased for $230 on eBay. I don’t recommend the clones.

Start with one good grinder, rather than 3, cheap grinders. I have run them off of small generators along the side of the road, during challenging operations.

For personal use, or light touchup, you can often get satisfactory results with the smaller (4-1/4 inch) grinders, but some of those are junk. Please note the referenced thread above.

My value choice is the Forester 04844 (identical to Oregon 310-120 ?) * if you replace the standard, fine, red/brown wheels with their coarser pink wheels.*
IMG_5151.jpeg

IMG_5152.jpeg
But these do not have the power to process a large volume of heavily damaged chains. The lower amperage motors, could possibly be run off of an inverter rather than using a stand alone generator.

Philbert

Attachments

• IMG_6866.jpeg
    IMG_6866.jpeg
    120.9 KB · Views: 1
Thanks Philbert! I was absolutely looking at the "best case" scenario in my post, and that's not usually how it goes so your advice is absolutely warranted.

I wasn't sure how difficult it was to swap between a .325 setup and a 3/8 setup on a better grinder. When I worked as a machinist, chaining wheels on any kind of grinder (ie bench grinder or surface grinder) always involved re-facing the wheel to maintain balance. I assume that switching from .325 to 3/8 or low pro requires changing the grinding wheel and resurfacing/rebalancing it. If switching pitch is not a time consuming endeavor, then I can see where it would be MUCH better to have one decent grinder to work with.

The other question I should be asking here is about the learning curve. With every sharpening system I've ever used (not just for saw chains), there's always a bit of an art involved in getting a good edge. One of my assumptions here is that a chain grinder minimizes the "art" portion enough that a newbie could be trained to run it effectively in a very short period of time. With the group that I volunteer with, everyone who has enough experience to know how to sharpen a saw is either running a saw, a skid steer, or a mini. We often have one or two people who aren't running equipment. Sometimes they are busy playing gopher for everyone, sometimes they are busy helping home owners sort through what little remains of their worldly belongings, but towards the of the day there normally isn't much for them to do. If this is a skill that's easily taught (which is probably wishful thinking on my part), this would be something that could be done during that downtime.

My value choice is the Forester 04844 (identical to Oregon 310-120 ?) * if you replace the standard, fine, red/brown wheels with their coarser pink wheels.*
Just out of curiosity, what is it about these that you like better than the HF? I can't really tell by looking at it, but I'm guessing it has less plastic and the build quality (fit and finish) is better.

Back