Efco Saws/Parts - John Deere CS62

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've got this John Deere CS62 here. I went through it yesterday. I went as far as pulling the P&C to make sure everything was right and get it all cleaned up. I've got a local guy here interested in it. The big question for him is, are parts readily available? Anyone have experience sourcing parts for these saws?

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/cbOi_uwkzv0?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

IMG8283-M.jpg

IMG8285-M.jpg

IMG8284-M.jpg

IMG8286-M.jpg

IMG8287-M.jpg

IMG8288-L.jpg

IMG8290-M.jpg

This was before pulling the base gasket. Squish was still .021" after doing so. I'm guessing compression would be 175 PSI now. I should check it again.
IMG8282-M.jpg

This saw is very torquey for a 60cc saw. There's lots of room for porting as well, with plenty of piston skirt coverage. I had plans to port this saw, but just don't have the time. I also need to move it to help pay for the Mac parts I've been collecting for the 101 kart saws I'm building.

they're a great solid workhorse. parts is deffinetly the problem in our area. there is a little shop about 20 miles away that sells redmax but also has an efco deal. kind of a pain. but worth it. our dealership(deere) has already quit worrying about parts for these as deere does not support them at all anymore.

Quote from aboristsite 03 01 2009
Grande Dog
Howdy,
We have about 12,000 sku's of Efco parts in our system. We base what goes in to print, or on our website by sales performance history. We just don't have much history yet. We can certainly access what you need in a timely manor.
Regards
Gregg

Brad, quick and easy way to find out about your parts availability question. Let us know what you come up with

Brad, parts should be no problem. A couple of sponsors here are Efco dealers, myself included. I can give your guy a good deal on a JD 62 parts saw if he is interested.

I have a NOS Efco 962 that Timberwolf ported for me. Not a bad saw. I am porting a stroked 156 over the winter for a few GTG type races up North.

Last edited:
Depends on the stock at the distributer level. 3 days from order to my door. I keep the common parts on hand. I have a JD 62 parts saw I will let go at a good price. A few Efco 156 parts saws also.

I don't believe that John Deere doesn't HAVE parts for these anymore; but it could very well be that some, or even many warehouses aren't interested enough to maintain their databases well enough to truly know what they have, and I'm more than ready to believe some dealers are unwilling to invest much time and effort into keeping a few saws alive that didn't sell well (and they made nothing on).

After the government-mandated 7 years has passed, whole shelves of parts will be liquidated to scrappers who may or may not try to find out what they have and if it has any value.

But it hasn't been 7 years since these saws were discontinued yet.

In any case, I have had pretty good luck with Olympik/Oleo-Mac/Efco parts. Two local (to me) outlets carry almost nothing, but each has had parts in a couple of days. Efco parts do not seem to be hand-carved of precious metals, either, like Stihl.

Brad, you're smarter than the average bear, so I assume you know the EFCO distributor is now in your region and that they are struggling to maintain visibility in your area. But they ARE still around. If you run into one local guy who doesn't want to take your money, that's just an opportunity for the next guy...

Looks good my friend. The vid before or after tightening the squish? Like I've suggested on some other saws, adding rpm to an already torquey saw seems like a winner to me. Easy starter too, no?

Brad, if you don't mind what are you going to be asking for this saw? I have a very high regard for them, I wish I had kept my CS56, it was the best 300.00 new saw I've ever owned, we used the fire out of it in our firewood operation. I would have to say the CS 62 is dang close to a stock MS361, the MM CS56 was close. I have a efco dealer only 10 miles away, parts shouldn't be an issue for anyone buying this saw.
I'm prolly in the minority but I'd take the CS 62 over a 290/310/390 any day, and I love my Stihl's. These saws will stand up to commercial use. This is a good clean saw and someone ought to snap it up.
If a person is looking for a good/great dependable saw, imho these are one of the most under rated over looked saws for the do-it yourself wood cutter. Imho they make a 455/460 Husky look like a pos in the woods. Guys don't over look this saw, I prolly ran well over 300-350 plus tanks through one and did nothing too it, the only reason I don't own it I traded it in on a immaculate 044, that was traded in at my dealer. The CS 56 was the best starting saw I ever owned.

Wouldn't be interested in a really nice 030 with the original stamped in stihl logo in the bar would you as a partial trade?

Last edited:
Imho they make a 455/460 Husky look like a pos in the woods.

IS, that wouldn't even be close. I bought that CS62 new, and it is indeed a really nice saw. I'm not a bit surprised at the compression figures, it definitely has some pop. I'd frankly love to see someone port it, as I think ported it could be a nice one-saw-plan.

Quote from aboristsite 03 01 2009
Grande Dog
Howdy,
We have about 12,000 sku's of Efco parts in our system. We base what goes in to print, or on our website by sales performance history. We just don't have much history yet. We can certainly access what you need in a timely manor.
Regards
Gregg

Brad, quick and easy way to find out about your parts availability question. Let us know what you come up with

Some of those parts will likely not have the original colors of the JD versions, but I guess they will work anyway. :smile2:

I'm prolly in the minority but I'd take the CS 62 over a 290/310/390 any day, and I love my Stihl's. These saws will stand up to commercial use. This is a good clean saw and someone ought to snap it up.
If a person is looking for a good/great dependable saw, imho these are one of the most under rated over looked saws for the do-it yourself wood cutter. QUOTE]

+1

Latest posts

Back