Efco Saws/Parts - John Deere CS62

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Man. I want that saw. Would make a good leader in my working line-up.

Poor timing for me, though.

I'm prolly in the minority but I'd take the CS 62 over a 290/310/390 any day, and I love my Stihl's. These saws will stand up to commercial use. This is a good clean saw and someone ought to snap it up.
If a person is looking for a good/great dependable saw, imho these are one of the most under rated over looked saws for the do-it yourself wood cutter. Imho they make a 455/460 Husky look like a pos in the woods. Guys don't over look this saw, I prolly ran well over 300-350 plus tanks through one and did nothing too it, the only reason I don't own it I traded it in on a immaculate 044, that was traded in at my dealer. .....

So would I, no doubt about that - but I still question if they really hold up in pro use. There has been posted some info earlier, that make me doubt it.

Also, they are just fugly saws, imo!:msp_biggrin:

So would I, no doubt about that - but I still question if they really hold up in pro use. There has been posted some info earlier, that make me doubt it.

I didn't see any aspect of that saw that I saw vulnerable, although I do prefer saw-mounted brake lever/shield as opposed to clutch cover-mounted. And I especially disagree about the looks, I think its a very sharp looker.

Replied. The saw is yours:clap:
Darnit. I was hoping everyone was tapped out by Christmas and this would sit in your shop long enough for you to Port and MM it and then offer it for the same price... (A guy can dream, right)

Nikko, believe me on this one, we used our CS 56 hard, four or five different guys using it under very demanding conditions, literally thousands of cuts, the weakest point in this saw is the nylon mesh air filter, they may sell a flocked one. I have the upmost respect for the CS 56 and 62, was not impressed with the CS81, it was a fine running saw, but there are better options in the Husky and Stihl line.
I really am whole heartedly convinced these 56 and 62 were the real deal, if I hadn't had a little accident in the woods yesterday afternoon that is going to wind up costing me about 1700.00 out of pocket I would have bought this saw. You know how I like my Stihl's but I'd ALMOST go out on a limb and say stock to stock the 62's are every bit the saw a 361 is. I have that much respect for them after seeing one literally hold up to hundreds of hours of use. We use our saws hard, most get close to six hours of run time a day/day after day. I can see where we are prolly easier on a saw than some commercial operations due to the fact they are maintained nightly or at least every two days and we take care in transporting them, they ride in the back of a truck, but usually on a rubber bed mat or layer of accumulated bark in the truck and don't take the bouncing and shock like saws that ride on skidders or backs of logging trucks. Given the choice of say a new MS 390, a 357/359 or a CS62 I would take the 62 hands down, just because I know they work. I agree they aren't going to win any beauty contest. I wish my 361 started half as easy as the 56 did. The only reason I traded the 56 off was for a cherry one owner 044 and there are days I wish I still had the 56, as I already had a decent 044. The issues I believe that were posted earlier regarding case issues I think were with the 52, which I believe is a plastic case saw vs the mag case of the 56 and 62.

Showme, congratulations, you bought yourself one fine saw. It is the perfect size saw for fire wooding, in my expierence with the little brother, (same basic saw yours just has bigger cylinder/displacement) it should hold up for a lifetime of cutting your own wood. You might check to see if they sell a flocked filter vs the nylon mesh filter and be sure and blow your filter out regularly if you are cutting in dirty conditions. They also respond well to muffler modding. Got yourself a real bargain and a helluva good saw.

Thanks Indiansprings. I'd been keeping my eyes open for one. Just wanted to check them out. You down around Monett?

Yeah Showme, I'm betting you'll like it. I'd have kept that one for the duration if I didn't acquire both a Snellerized 2153 50cc and Snellerized 441C-M 70cc - just didn't need a 60-class saw.

I'm about 14 miles west of Monett, almost dead center between Monett and Neosho, about 7 miles south of 60 highway. Down in God's country, we're right at the head of Indian Creek, runs through our place.

Spent lots of time growing up around Monett & Cassville. I had grandparents both towns. Love the area.

I really liked the 2156 I had. It was very similar to a 359 in power, weight, and feel. I would not hesitate to buy one if needed. It was also one of the quietest saws I have run. It always left me feeling that the muffler was really choking this saw down.

May be good timing if you are interested in a TW ported Efco 962 with only 5 tanks of use.

Yer killin me here. Not now, I tell you... This the same one you were running stock against the 361 a little bit ago? At least I think I remember it being stock at that time.

You don't have a spare green one lying around. At the risk of getting "the look" that I give my wife when she shops for cars based on color, I'd rather have the JD skin on that saw, lol...

Yer killin me here. Not now, I tell you... This the same one you were running stock against the 361 a little bit ago? At least I think I remember it being stock at that time.

You don't have a spare green one lying around. At the risk of getting "the look" that I give my wife when she shops for cars based on color, I'd rather have the JD skin on that saw, lol...

There is a green CS56 somewhere in the shop that I could probably let go cheap. Will give it a checkup when I find it.

It always happens.

Been looking for a CS56 or CS62. I buy this one minutes after Brad's thread and sure enough on the next morning on CL there is a CS56 listed. Same thing happened when I bought a NOS MS440 off of EBay. Next morning CL had one listed. I had to buy it too before I ever received the first one.

Would $300 be too much for a nice CS62? Compression is supposed to be 175 but I intend to check for myself...

Does it include B/C? Even with, that's top dollar assuming condition is excellent. That said, it is a really good saw that is built quite well. Still would like to see one ported.

Does it include B/C? Even with, that's top dollar assuming condition is excellent. That said, it is a really good saw that is built quite well. Still would like to see one ported.

Yes, a 20" bar, but I didn't look to see which pitch/gauge. I'm assuming 050/058-3/8"? The saw hardly appears to have been used, and is sitting in a pawn shop. I'm tempted to offer $175 and see where that goes.

Latest posts

Back