Falling pics 11/25/09

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks kinda hilly? You've got a little cash tied up in your operation huh? :D I was called by my mill's forester who buys in the northern section the other day. He works in the Green Bay area mostly. He wants me to hand cut a job to the north of me. Can't find anyone else to do it. He said, "nobody wants to work anymore." I said, "what? Hand cut?" Yep. He told me he'd like to sell the processor and double bunk. (I think he just bought brand new ponsses last spring.) Yep, just buy a twenty year old single bunk like I've got and go back to hand cutting. I've heard that many times. Do you think we will get a winter like last year? All of March maybe? I'm crossin my fingers.

Yup. Some of us are still getting wood down the hill.

I thought for a minute I was in the wrong forum. Sheeesh...take a couple of months away and come back to this... a discussion of yuppie SUVs?

Burvol would not be pleased. Not at all.

I left my yuppie SUV wagon and took the mule team instead. We had to ford rivers and fight off mountain lions just to get there!!

DSCN0726_zpsc4cf130f.jpg

:laugh:

Looks kinda hilly? You've got a little cash tied up in your operation huh? :D I was called by my mill's forester who buys in the northern section the other day. He works in the Green Bay area mostly. He wants me to hand cut a job to the north of me. Can't find anyone else to do it. He said, "nobody wants to work anymore." I said, "what? Hand cut?" Yep. He told me he'd like to sell the processor and double bunk. (I think he just bought brand new ponsses last spring.) Yep, just buy a twenty year old single bunk like I've got and go back to hand cutting. I've heard that many times. Do you think we will get a winter like last year? All of March maybe? I'm crossin my fingers.

hard to see our short, rough terrain in the pics but that job was probably the roughest ive ever worked on. hoping winter lasts a good while yet. last year it got warm for a while in march, we had to pull the plug. I promptly headed for Arizona with the family, then winter came back. We have work right through breakup this year. Have to shut down for a couple weeks when the gravel gets soft but it sure beats two and a half months off like last year.

there are a few guys left hand cutting around here, not many though. Your forester is right, not many guys want to work a saw, even though there is a decent living to be made still. Most of our timber is doable with equipment. We do use a guy every now and then when theres a good run of big hardwood. I can cut up to thirty inch stuff with the machine, but its slow having to cut off limbs individually with the head. Bitz you should test run a single bunk like the one in my pic there. I think you'd be in love. its a 1010d TJ/deere. real nice machine. and if that guy you know is in a bind and needs to unload his equipment cheap i might know someone ;)

Dilettante. Good on ya for clearing trails but it's a long way from real logging.

Really? Is it state the obvious day and I missed the memo? :laugh:

That's why I'm here; to live vicariously through you guys. And to hopefully pick up a few tricks and fun stories along the way. :bowdown:

I left my yuppie SUV wagon and took the mule team instead. We had to ford rivers and fight off mountain lions just to get there!!

DSCN0726_zpsc4cf130f.jpg

:laugh:

could have at least cut a few of those into park benches so the hikers could have somewhere to sit down and have a rest ;) ,that was a good sized tree ,i would love to mill that thing up

could have at least cut a few of those into park benches so the hikers could have somewhere to sit down and have a rest ;) ,that was a good sized tree ,i would love to mill that thing up

I know :(

We half-assed it and just propped a few rounds up into good sitting spots. At least gives them somewhere to ponder life whilst sipping Starbucks.

Great to see you're back posting again.
Thanks. I wish we had oak like that out here. I cut some white oak for firewood last year and I don't think there was a straight piece of wood in the whole thing. Kinda like a big shrub.

That one got away from the stump, didn't it?
Thanks. I wish we had oak like that out here. I cut some white oak for firewood last year and I don't think there was a straight piece of wood in the whole thing. Kinda like a big shrub.
yeah, this job is all big limby white and red oak. Its tough cutting, but i cant complain, I dont cut it everyday of the week like bitzer. Hes a tough cookie.

That buckthorn and deep snow is wearin me down though. You forgot to post one of these beauties! Limby ass bur oak from last Friday. I coulda drove the skidder under the arch.

Whiteoakarch.jpg

Icepick's a badass in his own right. Heres him knockin a limb off an ash before I cut it. VERY picky landowner wanted to save a small maple under the ash. It was 5 degrees that day. -30 in the wind I believe.

Brett topping.jpg

All right enough of the touchy feely ****! I got sum bullchit to fix and sharpen.

I hope y'all still here, can't see ya. I gotta cut a big beech tomorrow on the side of a slope. I need it up hill to be able to get it out, but it will certainly hit before the hinge breaks off. heavy top, butt is 40" or more, stem is around 40' to the top or less. any suggestions on face type?

Latest posts

Back