Falling pics 11/25/09

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ce2ced427371d16ff7829b30b474584a.jpg

Something for the wives and girlfriends of all of us God bless them and God bless everyone for going home safe.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

That was a pocket for the wedge, wasn't it?

Nope. Just cut the heart out to lower the chance of a chair once I got the stem moving. I have made wedge slots on smaller stems from both the front and the back with plunge/bore cuts and I have nipped at the heart from the face cut before but this was my first time doing it as part of the back cut. Ron

For those who advocate routine bore cutting (likely few to none here), it would seem to me that this method if executed properly would be safer (i.e. more controlled) than leaving a trigger.

I also see from the video that my firewood methods of handling hung trees are all wrong. I should have watched it before this back in 2014.

IMG_3658.JPG

I also just watched a Jonsered video on "Complicated Cuts"; seems anything complicated is addressed simply "leave it to a professional." Corporate lawyer must have edited it.

Ron

For those who advocate routine bore cutting (likely few to none here), it would seem to me that this method if executed properly would be safer (i.e. more controlled) than leaving a trigger.
Ron

This episode of Falling Tiny Trees Made Stupidly Complex brought to you by the British Empire.

More like a 2/3 coos or some odd thing. I thought "tree surgeon" came from selectively removing dead limbs, etc., but watching these European videos with all the deft cuts makes me think otherwise.

I'll stick with my simple firewood ways and longer bar approach. And wedges instead of pry bars.

Ron

I thought the mainland countries had an exclusive on complexities. Ron

Apparently not.

Do you think that maybe, just maybe, a good Humboldt face, a back cut just a tad higher than the face with a tapered hinge, and some wedges would have jumped that tree off the stump with enough force to keep it from hanging up?

One thing for sure, it would have been faster.

I keep thinking of what the bullbuck would say if he saw a guy cutting like that.

Apparently not.

Do you think that maybe, just maybe, a good Humboldt face, a back cut just a tad higher than the face with a tapered hinge, and some wedges would have jumped that tree off the stump with enough force to keep it from hanging up?

One thing for sure, it would have been faster.

I keep thinking of what the bullbuck would say if he saw a guy cutting like that.

Or maybe just gunning it a little to the left? Or a healthy step dutch get er to really skip off?

Of course then they couldn't make a video of all their clever ways of getting a hung tree down... Peavey never werks there by the way. Sometimes trimming the hold wood helps, more often then not just getting a machine or a some sort of winch and dragging the butt off the stump is the only way.

Latest posts

Back