firewood properties

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's quite a handy page.

I,ve just taken down a Western Red Cedar (Thuja plicata). It seems quite light wood, nice fragrance, but how does it burn? Is it related to Eastern red cedar?

All i know is i can get exactly 1 rick of wood in my toyota shortbed with a toolbox...

A full size pickup box will hold a good 1/2 cord (4x4x4), or 64 cubic feet, if it is stacked and level full. If the wood is thrown on loose the truck should be heaped generously to get 1/2 a cord.
To ensure a good measure, the wood is best cut to 15-15 1/2".
Gypo

We cut ash first, red oak second, red or whight oak, third hickory fourth, hard maple next, osage orange next (hedge), hard maple; then you are getting down to the scrub stuff (walnut tops, softer hardwood etc.) There is also sweet gum, and elm if it not too rotten.

You see it varies as to where you are located. There are very few softwood species cut around here for firewood,

The Firewood cutters mostly follow the hardwood loggers around and get the tops and limbs.

PS: MLB needs a lot of this strait grain ash that is being wasted; There are far too many broken bats. Every time I see a bat brake, particularly one that is painted black; I think of how more perfect bat could be made. I would never buy a painted bat; I would want to see how the grain run.

rick: a stack of cordwood or logs cut to equal lengths.
There is no defined measurement for a rick.
An unofficial defination for a rick is a face cord or 4'x8'x16"
Here is another: Rick

Wolf where I come from a rick of wood is 4' high by 8' long and however wide you can put in a stove, usually 16''.

Wolfcsm, you forgot to subtract wheel wells, gas can,2or three chainsaws,cooler,dog,etc.
I have heard the measure of a "rick" to be 4'high, 8' long like a cord, but one log deep, usually 16"-24". I'm sure it varies from one area to another.

shoot501 is right - a rick of wood is the same as a face cord. 4'high, 8' wide and hopefully more than 16" as a lot fireplaces these days will swallow 18" and above easily. Around 18"-20" here usually.

Hi Hal, the true definition of a cord is wood that is cut 4' long, stacked 4' high and 8' long. Once it is cut and split there can be a volume loss or gain due to several factors.
Also, since the truck box is 8' long , one would naturaly assume that 6 rows of 16" wood would fill the box, but in reality this doesnt happen, since 6 rows of 16" wood would probably take 8.5' to occupy it. Woodticks find all kinds of creative ways of pumping air into a cord of wood when they sell it. We also must not forget that we have wheel wells there as well occupying 10 cubic feet maybe.
A loose thrown bin volume seems to be the fairest way of selling wood where a 16" cord occupies 182 cubic feet, which is not always reflective of how many face cords that will result if the wood is " Summer Wood", some are 18" some are 15".
John

Used to sell lots of firewood lots of people was used to people pumping air into there loads, their the ones who met you with a tape measure and the dictionary quoteing the dimensions of a cord of wood.

2.3 foot deep ????

Really? That seems awfully deep for a pickup bed. All of the ones I have seen are 18 inches deep not 28. That would certainly account for the discrepancy in volume. Wheel wells are usually good for a loss of 6 cubic feet between the two.

Maybe its a dodge thing.:confused:

Tony,

You have really got me puzzled. In your list you put hedge far down the list. Hedge is the hottest burning wood I know of. The problem that it burns hot enough to ruin cheap stoves. I noticed you are from east central Illinois. I am also in Illinois. In my opinion you missed the best firewood possible, Locust. As you can see from the list it has the 2nd highest BTU. In my experience it splits the easiest of any wood. If you cut it green when it is 20 degrees or below it will practicaly split with a sledge hammer. It grows extremely fast and extremely tall with no limbs. In our are it is not uncommon to drop a 40 foot log with no limbs. Because of it lack of limbs it grows very close together allowing a huge number of trees per acre. If you have not cut it then you should give it a try.

Bill

There are several observations about selling firewood here in Teaxs. One is that a cord seems to have many definitions other than 4 x 4 x 8. Several who sell are selling a "full face cord" as a cord. There are more definitions that I can count for a "rick".

I have been trying to find a truely fair way to sell wood by the pickup load. Don't think that I can get a full 128 cubic foot cord on the back of my truck. I want to be fair because this is a hobby for me and not how I make my living.

As for wood, I don't see mesquite on the list. Most use it for BBQ here but it adds something nice to a fire when used spairingly.

Hal

Latest posts

Back