Four hundred and fifty dollars worth please

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would argue that some of the cuts were a wee bit too close, into collar wood. When deadwood mature trees it often looks like stubs were left due to the live wood being left.

Some argue that if there is an hourglass formation on live tissue, you can cut it at the "first collar" and be safe. I feel that we should wound as little as possible.

Yeah, you are both right, wee is right on, its close, a lot of the white eyes where older dead stubs I cut back, a little into the collar i admit on some but they are clean.
The first thing I think when I first fire the saw is " Now dude, don't #$%@ it up !" It would be easy to do huh? Sometimes it don't take much but a wee bit.

I guess we are not feeling it here that much yet. i'll keep ya posted though.

You guys might thinking we busted our asses. Time could have been shaved but we were pissing around a lot. The job was cake and could have been handle in less time but SHOULD have was the question we asked ourselves... we went for coffee. I didn't sweat on that one at all.

If you are going to do good work, you should spread the word around. Get some signs! Check out my comments on this thread:

http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=93098

Heck. Send me a note, give me some measurements, and I'll MAKE you a door sign. You shouldn't go around nameless. It ain't right.

What's in a name?

Incognito Tree , it doesn't have to be very big and thanks.:cheers:

Word of mouth works for me, I like to get up in the tree and scream as loud as i can " I am The Dan, the best freaking tree climber in the whole freaking world!" That's advertising right there,the phone don't stop ringing.

Anyway, I have some yard signs but feel cheesy using them,I don't like them myself. I like the trucks the way they are but if I were to put a sign on them it would read " KEEP BACK BI^%$" Like it says on my hoodies.

I actually had some signs on the truck but took them off. I am sure I would get tons more work with them but I never like putting signs all over. Maybe I will put one up tommorow for ya.

I am not trying to criticize your work but from the pictures, it almost seems like you left the buts from the limbs about 4 inches sticking out of the tree. I know Maple grows in a way that in some cases you have to cut them long but on an oak that large and in the spots you showed.

I could most likely be wrong and you did make the proper cuts. I am a big fan of Shigot and I value his opinions on proper tree maintenance more then some people who have been doing repeat work for 15 years watching there cuts heal.

Since these where old dead branch stubs they had condsiderable cavities, basically I cut just behind the cavity.

I have always dared people to say some **** like that to me ( like what you just said above). No offense sir, its these types of comments that make me think a little before each cut and am actually thankful for your comments.:cheers:

Some do say the line at which a tree walls off could be a little further out. I would think fresh live cut stub would be better than a decaying cavity.

I am not trying to criticize your work but from the pictures, it almost seems like you left the buts from the limbs about 4 inches sticking out of the tree. I know Maple grows in a way that in some cases you have to cut them long but on an oak that large and in the spots you showed.

I could most likely be wrong and you did make the proper cuts. I am a big fan of Shigot and I value his opinions on proper tree maintenance more then some people who have been doing repeat work for 15 years watching there cuts heal.

Shigot? Never heard of him! As far as cuts go, depends where they are done, how healthy the tree is, the species of tree, and if it was done correctly. This, coming from a guy who is trying to master the art of removal?

I wear Vasque, near the same price, for that lib hitting my foot it would have taken a steel toung counter to have helped.

John Paul, Vasques don't even compare to La Sportivas. Vasques are a good looking, comfortable backpacking, great boot, don't get me wrong. And they fit great right out of the box.

La Sportiva's leather is about twice the thickness and take about a year just to break in. A lot of people return them because of this, because they tear their feet up. And these are not even the ones with the steel shank in the sole.

Back