Fun day! Mini gtg.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Dan, was good to goof off with you guys for a few hours yesterday, thanks for having us over.

Wish I'd thought to grab a few videos of the 4400 and the other saws running. That stock 4400 just kept on crankin' right through that first noodle cut with a 30" bar. I love that friggin' saw, hard to believe it's only 69cc's. Gotta get with someone who knows the oiling system on the 4400 though, it's bubbling air out with the bar oil and no matter where it's adjusted it just ain't enough oil.

Your Frankenstein '55 is no slouch, Dan, but seeing Randys' 024 Super 6 just flat out blow away my sweetheart 028 Super killed me. I figured it would keep up with the '28, not embarrass it! Lol Same bars, same brand new first-cut Stihl yellow Rapid Super chains, same fuel mix and bar oil.

Would've liked to have ran the two other 028 Supers I brought, as well as the 034 Super but there's always next time. ;)

Good times, great to see you guys, lets do it again real soon.

It's nice to be able to just pull like heck on a saw. :)

Randy, there was one cut in particular when Dan was bucking up that monster at his neighbors that you would've been real proud of. Saw was low, around 3/4 the way down through the log in the cut with Dan pulling up two-handed with all he had. 36" bar buried in probably still 40" of log across or more. Whatever you did to that 750 when you built it just absolutely worked. Like Secretariat, the more it was challenged, the harder it ran.

Paragon, I thought I read you had made it to the Pa gtg. Looking at your pic I don't remember seeing you? Maybe I'm thinking of some other member? Glad you folks had a good day.

Paragon, I thought I read you had made it to the Pa gtg. Looking at your pic I don't remember seeing you? Maybe I'm thinking of some other member? Glad you folks had a good day.
No I made it to the upstate ny gtg. More to come in the future. Looking forward to meeting more of y'all!

Hey Matt! Damn I never thought to invite others... Mel and I have been trying to get together for a few months now. Schedules....
Next time I'll let you know for sure.

Randy, there was one cut in particular when Dan was bucking up that monster at his neighbors that you would've been real proud of. Saw was low, around 3/4 the way down through the log in the cut with Dan pulling up two-handed with all he had. 36" bar buried in probably still 40" of log across or more. Whatever you did to that 750 when you built it just absolutely worked. Like Secretariat, the more it was challenged, the harder it ran.

You gotta be careful with saws like that 750..........it's pretty easy to overdo it on porting stuff like that. Those engineers knew what they were doing......we just wanted to enhance it a little.

Paragon, all good man, this has been a crazy week for me anyway... today was a rest day...

my dad was an original owner of a 750 ...sold it last year. it hadn't ran in probably 10-15 years... started right up. the problem he had with it was that it always seemed to need to be rebuilt after 10 cuts, so he rarely ran it. now there aren't parts available for the thing except on the bay, and things like pistons and cylinders are quite rare. so someone has a collectors item ... though it seems like Mels likes living on the wild side by not only running his saw, but having it MM'd too!! hope you guys had a fun day, we'll get together sometime for sure....

-Mattyo

We have both a 650 Super, and a 750. They both run like new. I'd be willing to bet your dad's saw had an air leak.

One of the issues it had was the compression release was weak. There is a "flag" that attaches to the plunger on the compression release, and from the factory, its VERY thin metal.... my grandfather was a prototype tool and die maker and he ended up making a few pieces that were significantly stronger... sold those extras on ebay ...

the compression release may have been the source of the leak, and why the saw ran lean, and why it needed a rebuild... when we sold it, the cylinder and piston had been replaced...but that was likely in the late 90's... maybe even before that.

Still, parts are hard to come by, and my father and I aren't collectors, just want saws that run and have parts available, so it made more sense to sell the 750 and buy something else. Turns out we bought a welder on craigslist with the $$ ... Miller 180as. One of the best buys ever. I think my dad will miss the 750... but I have a 385xp now that'll cut just about anything that 750 would have... and we can get parts for it.

Mels, was that the chain I sold you? and why wasn't I invited???? :)

-Mattyo

Hiya Matt! Jeez man, sorry, like Dan eluded to we didn't mean to exclude anyone, it wasn't a GTG at all heck it wasn't even planned it was spur of the moment thing we put together Friday morning after talking about it for too long, it was really just us exchanging some saws and heck while I'm there I'll bring a couple for you to run sort of thing. I was surprised actually when I arrived to find Rich there, super cool guy though, glad to meet him. That Lazer chain is still in it's original packaging. Lol I guess the sentimental part of me wants to just keep it with the rest of the 750 stuff for future ages to find.

You gotta be careful with saws like that 750..........it's pretty easy to overdo it on porting stuff like that. Those engineers knew what they were doing......we just wanted to enhance it a little.

Wellsir, your "enhancements" were just what the Doctor ordered!

Paragon, all good man, this has been a crazy week for me anyway... today was a rest day...
my dad was an original owner of a 750 ...sold it last year. it hadn't ran in probably 10-15 years... started right up. the problem he had with it was that it always seemed to need to be rebuilt after 10 cuts, so he rarely ran it. now there aren't parts available for the thing except on the bay, and things like pistons and cylinders are quite rare. so someone has a collectors item ... though it seems like Mels likes living on the wild side by not only running his saw, but having it MM'd too!! hope you guys had a fun day, we'll get together sometime for sure....

-Mattyo

Bah, it's just a saw... Lol
It is kinda cool though, but there are a whole lot of other saws guys here have that are just as collectible or even more so that I'd sure like to run some day, including one of your ported saws Matt

l like Randy's approach to porting, he really tries to understand the engineers intention/reason for their design before the carbide burr starts spinning. Some may call it a conservitive approach, others may see it as intellegent understanding.

Latest posts

Back