Help choosing a between a 362 CM 400 CM or a 550 or... ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
chainbrake

chainbrake

ArboristSite Operative
AS Supporting Member
Thanks to everyone who replied and helped me decide on the 400.

The chainsaw store ordered a 400 for me... said it would be a week. It's been a week, I called them and they said that I couldn't get the saw in a week like they said - even though they ordered them straight from the warehouse computer just one province away. The new date was going to be 4-6 weeks. Pissed me right off! I called the next closest Stihl dealer and found that they had a barely used 400 for sale. It was too much saw for someone, so they took it back to the store and traded it for a 261.

I got it for $700CDN (about $523 American) with a 20" barely smudged bar and the original chain that's got about 3/8 of it's life left in it. The muffler looks almost brand new. Hanging in my shop, I already have a spare 20" bar with a new 3/8 chain that will fit. The saw has been broken in. That task is no longer my concern. Cold saw, fired right up. Runs like a damn. I had a 12" log in the back of the truck to give it a try at the store - cut it like butter!

Phoned my local chain saw store, and they were most apologetic when I told them I didn't need them to order a saw for me.

farmer steve

farmer steve

outstanding in my field, 5150
. AS Supporting Member.
Thanks to everyone who replied and helped me decide on the 400.

The chainsaw store ordered a 400 for me... said it would be a week. It's been a week, I called them and they said that I couldn't get the saw in a week like they said - even though they ordered them straight from the warehouse computer just one province away. The new date was going to be 4-6 weeks. Pissed me right off! I called the next closest Stihl dealer and found that they had a barely used 400 for sale. It was too much saw for someone, so they took it back to the store and traded it for a 261.

I got it for $700CDN (about $523 American) with a 20" barely smudged bar and the original chain that's got about 3/8 of it's life left in it. The muffler looks almost brand new. Hanging in my shop, I already have a spare 20" bar with a new 3/8 chain that will fit. The saw has been broken in. That task is no longer my concern. Cold saw, fired right up. Runs like a damn. I had a 12" log in the back of the truck to give it a try at the store - cut it like butter!

Phoned my local chain saw store, and they were most apologetic when I told them I didn't need them to order a saw for me.
:thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpictures: Sounds like you got a great deal @chainbrake.:rock2:

chainbrake

chainbrake

ArboristSite Operative
AS Supporting Member
@chainbrake. Ran mine yesterday takin down a big ash. Never missed a beat.
View attachment 1136104View attachment 1136105
Late to this thread, haven’t been on here much lately. But congrats on the new saw and a great deal too, can’t beat a 400 as an all around saw. Mine runs a 28 and gets run hard, hasn’t missed a beat or needed anything but fuel and oil.
Glad to read your 400 does the work for you. So far, I have no complaints, but I haven't run it much - we had big wind for most of a week, and when it wasn't windy, I had building contractor stuff and family/Christmas stuff to do. I'll give it a workout next week.

Latest posts