Garden hose that doesn't suck

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OM617YOTA

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Asking this late because I already ordered a replacement, but what's the best garden hose currently?

Just busted an ancient hose that can't be flexed much anymore or it breaks and leaks. Had good luck trying one of the Zero-G super flexible hoses, albeit not long term, so that's what I ordered another of. Probably not as durable as other options, but so flexible and easy to work with.

http://amazon.com/zero-G-4001-100-Garden-Hose-100/dp/B01GHSBKOS

I've been using Continental red rubber hoses for like 7 years, no leaks or anything out of them so far, lasted longer than any other hose I've ever used
I use the black rubber hoses, they last and take hot water too. Vinyl sucks. And only drink out of white RV hoses, the others are toxic.!

I buy the green flex/non-kink hoses, not sure what the brand is.
I've bought at Walmart and the last two I got at HF and TS
I "test" them in the store by bending/folding the hose. If it creases too easily it's no good.
Those are heavier, but never had a leak... except when it needs a new washer.

In general, you get what you pay for in water hoses. I don't like anything less than hoses rated for 500 psi, and I prefer the thick rubber hoses, as they are harder to kink.

If I wanted some seriously reliable water hoses, I'd build my own out of the pressure hoses that come with spray tanks. They are decidedly harder to work with unless rolled up on a hose reel, but much, much longer lasting.

I've tried the heavy duty hoses. Durable and kink resistant, but a pain to manipulate. Not bad moving it around the yard or leaving in one place, but coiling and uncoiling is a huge PITA.

I should just run black poly in a shallow trench and install spigots wherever I want, and then a short super flexible hose from the spigot location to the sprinkler. Maybe a sprinkler system. Never thought I'd be a sprinkler system type of guy, but if it makes yard BS easier in the long run, worth it. Whole thing could be blown out with compressed air at the end of the year, like I do now with all the external faucets.

On the plus side, I watered the yard for 5+ hours and did a bunch of pressure washing this weekend, and every drop of water was pumped with solar power. Pleased with that.

Asking this late because I already ordered a replacement, but what's the best garden hose currently?
I bought 5 or 6 Craftsman Best 50' black rubber hoses at least 30 years ago and I'm still using them. I'm not sure if they still available, but I would get another quality rubber hose if I needed more.

If I wanted some seriously reliable water hoses, I'd build my own
back when my dad pumped concrete, the water pump on his truck was putting out enough pressure to keep blowing any garden hose he put on it, not sure how much PSI but it was a lot, probably 400 or so

he went to a hose shop and had a custom hydraulic hose made with GHT ends, never had another issue

one thing I've learned with hose coiling issues, the hooks and racks sorta suck, the hose reels aren't the greatest, especially with heavy duty hoses, I lay mine down in a figure 8 on the ground, eliminated twists or tangles and it a lot faster than trying to put the hose on a hook

it does take up a lot of room on the ground tho, and if you have grass up to the house then it will kill the grass, but as a tree guy I'm used to wrecking yards so all's fine (sarcasm)

one thing I've learned with hose coiling issues, the hooks and racks sorta suck, the hose reels aren't the greatest, especially with heavy duty hoses, I lay mine down in a figure 8 on the ground, eliminated twists or tangles and it a lot faster than trying to put the hose on a hook

it does take up a lot of room on the ground tho, and if you have grass up to the house then it will kill the grass, but as a tree guy I'm used to wrecking yards so all's fine (sarcasm)
I agree that coiling is an issue. When space allows I actually make a large single layer coil working from outside to inside and I've never had kinks using that method.

In terms of readily available products Gilmour is by far the best I've used. The threaded ends last a long time and they are very resistant to kinking. Prices are reasonable too
We use Gilmour Flexogen hoses and a couple stay outside, winter and summer and are just fine plus Gilmour offers a lifetime replacement guarantee (that I have used before), you cut the ends off and send them to them with the hose length and they send you a new one or give you a store voucher to get a new one, no charge.

The one that did fail, I cut the ends off, cut out the failed part, went to the hardware store and bought plastic replacement ends and I'm still using the shortened hose to this day plus I received a new one from Gilmour. Hard to beat that deal.

Lots of cheaper ones on the market but cheap usually equates to a short lifetime.

We use Gilmour Flexogen hoses and a couple stay outside, winter and summer and are just fine plus Gilmour offers a lifetime replacement guarantee (that I have used before), you cut the ends off and send them to them with the hose length and they send you a new one or give you a store voucher to get a new one, no charge.

The one that did fail, I cut the ends off, cut out the failed part, went to the hardware store and bought plastic replacement ends and I'm still using the shortened hose to this day plus I received a new one from Gilmour. Hard to beat that deal.

Lots of cheaper ones on the market but cheap usually equates to a short lifetime.
Agreed, mine hang outside year around, and most of them were purchased in the late 90's.

Latest posts

Back