going to build a pipe for my 660

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There are computer programs.. You get to cut it out on heavy paper.. Then fit all those pieces together.. Then cut it out of steel and Tig it all together,. Easy as I made it sound? Hardly ,I am sure.
something like this
http://buildandclick.com/

As well as your saw runs, I don't think your gain will be worth the:

1) Money
2) Time
3) Aggravation
4) Bother in handling that cumbersome pipe

but what do I know?
If your saw was a dog I could understand.

As well as your saw runs, I don't think your gain will be worth the:

1) Money
2) Time
3) Aggravation
4) Bother in handling that cumbersome pipe

but what do I know?
If your saw was a dog I could understand.

pipes are for fun... and worth all those things

well not really on a work saw but who other than gypo would work with a piped saw

Last edited:
you might go to motorcycle shop and grap a kx 60 or other small 2 stroke pipe then build a flange to bolt it to the saw cylinder. most the time bike shops will have a pile of pipes laying around.

this is probly the least scientific apraoch the easieast and fassest and who knows if it well net any kind of gain but it might. and probly pretty cheap i bet less then 50 bucks and you can have pipe to mod to fit your saw

ive been thinkn about doing exackly this on my 359 just for kicks and heck it wouldnt be all that much heavier. and you can maybe get it kicked out and straight back on the left side and still have room for buckn fire wood.

good luck

you might go to motorcycle shop and grap a kx 60 or other small 2 stroke pipe then build a flange to bolt it to the saw cylinder. most the time bike shops will have a pile of pipes laying around.

this is probly the least scientific apraoch the easieast and fassest and who knows if it well net any kind of gain but it might. and probly pretty cheap i bet less then 50 bucks and you can have pipe to mod to fit your saw

ive been thinkn about doing exackly this on my 359 just for kicks and heck it wouldnt be all that much heavier. and you can maybe get it kicked out and straight back on the left side and still have room for buckn fire wood.

good luck

You can't just take a pipe that "fits", bolt it on, and expect it to perform. The pipe needs to be built to the specs of the engine, including port timing, expected RPMs, and on and on.

Also, if the engine is not ported for it, you will not see the gains you're likely expecting. A saw that is properly ported for a pipe will be ported significantly different from one for a muffler. Typically the exhaust is ported much higher on a piped saw than a muffler. I'm sure there are other significant porting differences, but that's out of my league.

might be worth try specialy for only few bucks invested

i will try it ounce time permits.

You can't just take a pipe that "fits", bolt it on, and expect it to perform. The pipe needs to be built to the specs of the engine, including port timing, expected RPMs, and on and on.

+1

Look at the chapter on expansion chambers here to get an idea of what is involved.

There's also more of a summary article by the same author here

You'll get a good idea of what the considerations are for porting for a tuned pipe, but not necessarily how to address them for a chainsaw engine. Crofter and Timberwolf have been trying very hard to get me to understand the information in that book that doesn't translate from motorcycles to chainsaws.

Crofter and Timberwolf have been trying very hard to get me to understand the information in that book that doesn't translate from motorcycles to chainsaws.

These are the only two guys I know of on the forum that would know about building a piped saw. I know Brian has built several, and his work is top notch. When porting the saw, you really need to decide if it's going to run on pipe or run on muffler. They're really that different.

ummmmmmmm i no, i learn buy hands on doing. till i see a decrease in power or improvemtn i cant say wether my methad will work or not, but i also said that in my first reply.

Evan do you really think that buying a pipe will be at all indicative of what you would get with a tuned pipe?

you are more likly to lose proformance than gain....

edit: i guess you couls use an old pipe and tune it to your needs but that would prolly be as much work as building one...

The real benefit of a tuned pipe is not the negative wave that helps with scavenging (that length can be easily found by experimentation), it is the reflected positive pressure wave that forces charge back into the cylinder. This has to arrive at the right time, which requires a specific length for the chamber and cone. This would be much more difficult to accomplish by trial and error, so having a starting point would be a big help.

Edit: What Sawdustmaker said...LOL

i dunno, i just seem to go against the grain most the time and will try most anything atleast ounce.

for me it would be fun, if theres decrease in power then thats as cool as an increase because i will have learned something through hands on exsperimenting. that is what im all about

i do agree it may not be worth doing, exspecialy if you cant weld or dont have tools avalable to do a project like this. but id imagine if your considering building a pipe from scratch that you must have the tools and know how to put the computer program to work with raw materials in your hands.

Once you figure out all the measurements from the link I posted, you can then start laying out a pattern like this for your pipe. All I can say is good luck to you.

conelayout.jpg

Back