going to build a pipe for my 660

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mig does not crack bad, must have done a dozen pipes with mig, just if you grind it too much to try to make it look nice then you can have problems.

chain brake will work. hard holding pipe in the right spot with one hand and the camera in the other!

Don't have a tig, I read that mig cracks bad, so oxy is it.

If you lived closer to me I would let you use a sweet little lincoln Inverter tig, It would perform awesome on that thing. Your still welcome to but you'll have to drive a couple hours+/-.

couldn't get oxy to work out. had to weld all with mig. didn't weld up as nice as I would have liked, but its welded. Still need to fab the flange and support bracket. *pics to come when my :censored:in internet isn't all screwed up.
attachment.php

Last edited:
couldn't get oxy to work out. had to weld all with mig. didn't weld up as nice as I would have liked, but its welded. Still need to fab the flange and support bracket.

Gas welding is harder than a lot of people think... It take some time to get the knack.

Ya got pictures of the pipe welded up? :drool::drool:

Thin is not easy and gas on top of that, lots of weldors that can do solid structural work are in left field when it comes to sheet metal.

Have you filled it with water to check for leaks? Often with mig a litle zap hear and there is waranted.

Gas welding is harder than a lot of people think... It take some time to get the knack.

Ya got pictures of the pipe welded up? :drool::drool:

I use ta could oxy, but been probably 10 years and never this thin. I kept having problems with poping. I think not having a small enough tip meant I had to run the pressure low which caused my problems. pulled out some 1/8 and was able to run a decent bead...:dizzy:

Thin is not easy and gas on top of that, lots of weldors that can do solid structural work are in left field when it comes to sheet metal.

Have you filled it with water to check for leaks? Often with mig a litle zap hear and there is waranted.

not yet. tomorrow, when I weld up the flange a support

I use ta could oxy, but been probably 10 years and never this thin. I kept having problems with poping. I think not having a small enough tip meant I had to run the pressure low which caused my problems. pulled out some 1/8 and was able to run a decent bead...:dizzy:

Did you equalize your gas pressures on your regulators?? Also did you have a flux?

I think you want a tip like 000 or 0000 depending on what brand of torch, even then it could stand to be smaller yet to keep presure up. You at about 3 psi and 3 psi to start?

Last edited:
I think you want a tip like 000 or 0000 depending on what brand of torch, even then it could stand to be smaller yet to keep presure up. You at about 3 psi and 3 psi to start?

a was at 3 but o was a little higher. I thought about brazing a tip shut and redrilling SMALL and working up in size to get the right tip.

Back