going to build a pipe for my 660

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is where the term on dirt bikes came from

"Coming up on the pipe"..On a dirt bike the power band is rather peaky.. But you need to figure out how to tune the pipe to broaden it a bit for a saw.. I would think anyhow..

A tach isn't going to help you tune this thing. It's all by ear and timed cuts now that it's modded.

BTW, I'm very impressed that you even made this happen! Good on ya!

but I would like to tach it in the cut to see where its powerband is at, not to tune it. don't worry, this is the kind of thing that just eats at me until I get it right. I need to do some more reading and talk to a few people and I'll work it out!

Last edited:
but I would like to tach it in the cut to see where its powerband is at, not to tune it. don't worry, this is the kind of thing that just eats at me until I get it right. I need to do some more reading and talk to a few people and I'll work it out!

Excellent! I like someone that stick with it until they get it right. I know you will. Hey, you didn't loose performance, which I understand is quite possible. You're on the right track! Keep at it.

i made a pipe for my partner p100 and used a bernz-o-matic oxygen tank for the chamber. surprisingly, it woke it up quite a bit, even though i put no thought into tuning:cheers:

by the way, if you use an oxygen tank for a chamber, make sure it's empyty first. i didn't....oops....

i made a pipe for my partner p100 and used a bernz-o-matic oxygen tank for the chamber. surprisingly, it woke it up quite a bit, even though i put no thought into tuning:cheers:

by the way, if you use an oxygen tank for a chamber, make sure it's empyty first. i didn't....oops....

I bet that was an experience. Did you cut into it full?

i thought it was empty and i was drilling into the nozzle after i took the valve out, but there was just enough liquid left in it to shoot flames all the way from the vise to the ceiling. big black mark now. made a good pop too. glad i was wearing glasses lol

i thought it was empty and i was drilling into the nozzle after i took the valve out, but there was just enough liquid left in it to shoot flames all the way from the vise to the ceiling. big black mark now. made a good pop too. glad i was wearing glasses lol

:jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop: I bet you check that next time. Did you have to clean your pants out too?

Isn't your bar too long for a piped, non-ported saw too? That long bar and aggressive chain is asking a whole lot from that stock saw on pipe I'd think?

Isn't your bar too long for a piped, non-ported saw too? That long bar and aggressive chain is asking a whole lot from that stock saw on pipe I'd think?

it has been work ported. aggressive chain will be addressed tomorrow. Going to see what it will do w/ a good square ground too!

"Coming up on the pipe"..On a dirt bike the power band is rather peaky.. But you need to figure out how to tune the pipe to broaden it a bit for a saw.. I would think anyhow..

A piped saw only needs to work in a powerband a few hundred RPM wide, powerband width <5% of the rpm range. A bike needs at least a couple thousand RPM of powerband likely closer to 25%. Here in lies the problem, the narrower the powerband the more peak power but the more critical the design to get the returning pulse in step with port events.

Going to be hard for the your 066 to hold the RPM for a pipe with that bar and chain set up. Though I have run a 32 inch bar with pipe on my 066 and it worked well enough. Though a 20 inch bar and 9 pin gear with better chain will do your pipe beter justice.

This is an 066 BB, ported likely a little further, but still 100% daily driver work saw, some better chain, but I'd think you should be able to get within about a second(without more porting work) given the same block of wood.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FgaMBT20dB0

From "I have no clue" to video in less than 2 weeks is impressive! With that kind of dedication, it shouldn't take long to find the sweet spot.

Xactly, for every ten who do the talking about such projects seems only one ever does it. Next pipe will likely take half the time to do up. It's the experimental learning stuff that takes time.

Just a thought..... get messing with pushing higher RPM and chain speeds out of a saw for cutting cookies and good chaps are more than just a good idea.

Xactly, for every ten who do the talking about such projects seems only one ever does it. Next pipe will likely take half the time to do up. It's the experimental learning stuff that takes time.

Just a thought..... get messing with pushing higher RPM and chain speeds out of a saw for cutting cookies and good chaps are more than just a good idea.

already been looking for a set , just havn't bought any yet, i'm laid off work for a couple weeks.

Back