Harbor freight chain sharpener

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey there is an long thread on these sharpeners.... The guys still use it too...... Just search Harbor fright sharpener and it should pop up..... I have on that was a guy gave me, and I use it for the small 3/8 picco chain on my ms180.... It seems to work just fine on it.....I haven't tried to sharpen my 3/8 regular chain with it because I can get a super sharp edge on it by hand filing or using the grandberg jig!!!!!

Works wonderful and doesn't require any patience at all and sharpens my chains as good as brand new store bought Stihl chain. But results are clearly user dependant...

I have three at different locations, all bought at different places and all are equally consistant and achieve above mentioned sharpness.

I tried one that someone gave me. It had so much flex/movement in all the parts there was no way to be consistant.

I sharpen a few dozen chains a week on Oregon grinders. My lime green knockoff from Amazon works good.

If you sharpen many chains then sharpen them by hand. Grinders waste much of the teeth and take much more time to sharpen. As far as the Harbor Freight
grinders go they work well and will meet anybody's need, but they are made cheap so do not expect that they can compare to a grinder costing many time more. Thanks

If you sharpen many chains then sharpen them by hand. Grinders waste much of the teeth and take much more time to sharpen. As far as the Harbor Freight
grinders go they work well and will meet anybody's need, but they are made cheap so do not expect that they can compare to a grinder costing many time more. Thanks

I can spend 10-15 mins a chain on something that is completely rocked out. Doing it by hand would take forever! It's not often a customer brings in chains that just need a couple file passes. Normally was run until it was making powder, and then run some more.

Something like this would be good:

http://www.amazon.com/Electric-Chai...n grinder&qid=1465499443&ref_=sr_1_13&sr=8-13

Only true if the grinder doesn't know what he is doing.

It's easy to only touch the top and bottom and leave the curve in the middle. Proper use of the grinder. Al little as you like.

And slower????? Again.......operator error.

Sounds like Leeroy Jenkins...........just kidding.

File or grinder. It's the operator and the equipment

I used to think hand filing was the way to go but not anymore. I use a disc sharpener, don't know the brand, and if you're careful you don't use up the chain much more than filing. The sharpener seems to be a lot more consistent than my hand filing also.

Another option I was looking at.
These are both cheap grinders, in every sense of the word. But it you go into it with your eyes open, and are patient, and take some time to develop skill and experience with them, you can make them work somewhat. They will not perform as well as the larger, and better quality grinders

If you look through the long thread, you will see that I prefer the versions without the 'bicycle grip' handle, and suggest that people buy better quality wheels, such as the Molemab wheels at Baileys. Due to inconsistencies in the cheap grinders, these better wheels will fit some grinders and not others. Can't tell without trying, so keep all of your receipts.

Philbert

Thank you for all of your insight. I was looking for a cheap tool that would at least work for now. I always have realistic expectations from harbor freight, so as long as it will get me by until I can afford something better then it will do for now. Sounds like it can do just that. Thanks for the input.

Latest posts

Back