Head, Ear, and Face Protection

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Lyngdal

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
My Stihl helmet with muffs and a mesh face shield is dual purpose; that being chainsaw work and string trimming.
I was visiting a friend in Colorado and helping him with yard work and had to revert back to hat, ear muffs, and glasses for some string trimming work.
It made me realize how comfortable my Stihl helmet was, so I thought I'd go shopping for him.
Of the similar helmets offered by Stihl, Husqvarna, and Oregon, the Stihl is the most expensive and the Oregon has the lowest cost.
I haven't tried the Husqvarna or Oregon headgear, but I thought I'd see if there was any issues with the lower cost units when string trimming.

John

The Husqvarna Oregon and Stihl are fine for most folks. The Kask and Proto helmets are better suited for Arborists who climb but the price reflects this, the last 2 are slightly heavier but they are comfortable to wear all day.

I have the Husqvarna and the Stihl helmets. Not much difference. I wear a do rag under mine to keep it from slipping and the sweat. I do string trimming in the summer and both are too dang hot because I do lots of walking.

My Stihl helmet with muffs and a mesh face shield is dual purpose; that being chainsaw work and string trimming.
I was visiting a friend in Colorado and helping him with yard work and had to revert back to hat, ear muffs, and glasses for some string trimming work.
It made me realize how comfortable my Stihl helmet was, so I thought I'd go shopping for him.
Of the similar helmets offered by Stihl, Husqvarna, and Oregon, the Stihl is the most expensive and the Oregon has the lowest cost.
I haven't tried the Husqvarna or Oregon headgear, but I thought I'd see if there was any issues with the lower cost units when string trimming.

John

I agree the stihl helmets are good for sawing, but I havn't found the ideal solution for strimming. Wet grass seems to collect in the mesh. Ive tried plastic visors and they have the same issue. Glasses are quicker to clean every tank of fuel. The problem is better if the grass is dry, but then its always wet here in the UK.

I have the Husqvarna and the Stihl helmets. Not much difference. I wear a do rag under mine to keep it from slipping and the sweat. I do string trimming in the summer and both are too dang hot because I do lots of walking.

I've been really happy with a Peltor combination mesh visor/ear muffs for trimming.

John
I wear an old fashioned Macdonald T full brim aluminum hard hat, with a bandanna around my head and a sheepskin welding helmet patch snapped on to the forehead part of the suspension. There's an aftermarket visor bracket that is made for full brim hats, but I don't like the visor that comes with it, so I use a Husky replacement visor bracket. Drilled a couple of holes in the bracket for machine screws/nuts to accommodate the different visor. EAR Grande (larger than standard) plugs have a noise reduction rating of 33, which is way higher than any muff I've ever found, and 10% higher than the standard EAR. Muffs are more convenient, but their NRR lowers over time. The plugs are best, and especially buying a box of 200 are way cheaper than muffs as well. The silver aluminum hat also gives good solar reflectivity for weedwhacking.

I wear an old fashioned Macdonald T full brim aluminum hard hat, with a bandanna around my head and a sheepskin welding helmet patch snapped on to the forehead part of the suspension. There's an aftermarket visor bracket that is made for full brim hats, but I don't like the visor that comes with it, so I use a Husky replacement visor bracket. Drilled a couple of holes in the bracket for machine screws/nuts to accommodate the different visor. EAR Grande (larger than standard) plugs have a noise reduction rating of 33, which is way higher than any muff I've ever found, and 10% higher than the standard EAR. Muffs are more convenient, but their NRR lowers over time. The plugs are best, and especially buying a box of 200 are way cheaper than muffs as well. The silver aluminum hat also gives good solar reflectivity for weedwhacking.
I am aware that many plugs have higher NRR than muffs, but I don't buy it. When I wear 33 NRR plugs at work I can hear my radio go off. When I wear Honeywell muffs rated at 30NRR I often can not. I also find muffler dampen the noise better while shooting.
My hear is very damaged, to the tune of 90% in my left ear so I wear both plugs and muffs, but I still don't believe that plugs work as well as good muffler.
I have nothing to go on other than the anecdotes I mentioned above, so I very well may be wrong.
I'd like to hear others who use hearing protection daily opinions.

ideal solution for strimming

I live in the land of wet as well, and I seem to prefer cleaning the face screens rather than glasses. I just think that cleaning the rougher and ventilated surface of a screen is easier than the smooth solid surface of glasses, plus there is nothing scratch when cleaning.
carry spray bottle of water and pretend you are at the car wash.
noodle it.

Do you have a link to a picture or description? I'm coming up empty looking for info. Interested b/c I've been happy with Peltor muffs.

Product Discontinued by Manufacturer​

but google shows some still instock in UK and AU.
that be NOS, new old stock, search and find them. 1 by 1.

https://www.tactical-store.com/ts-pl-hp-brshdfdr.html

or ask the maker for help, only they know for sure , all models made or not.

I am aware that many plugs have higher NRR than muffs, but I don't buy it. When I wear 33 NRR plugs at work I can hear my radio go off. When I wear Honeywell muffs rated at 30NRR I often can not. I also find muffler dampen the noise better while shooting.
My hear is very damaged, to the tune of 90% in my left ear so I wear both plugs and muffs, but I still don't believe that plugs work as well as good muffler.
I have nothing to go on other than the anecdotes I mentioned above, so I very well may be wrong.
I'd like to hear others who use hearing protection daily opinions.
As far as plugs vs muffs, I think that with plugs, once the pressure waves make contact with your ear, the vibrations will easily continue along your skin making it easier for the wearer to still hear sounds even though they are MUCH quieter.

I had a Husqvarna helmet to start with, and didn't like it. I immediately returned it and bought a Stihl which I liked better. Unfortunately, about the 3rd time I used it, I set it down and knocked it off onto a hard surface breaking one of the built in muffs off the helmet. That was about 15 years ago and I haven't bothered to replace them because I found them awkward to use. I normally just use plugs instead. I've thought about trying to connect a set of plugs to my helmet, but never bothered.

Earpro is actually something that I'm constantly looking into. My lack of taking care of my hearing in my teens and early 20s has had its effect on me, but thankfully I started taking it more seriously while I was in college. My issue with both styles is comfort and being able to keep them on/in while actually working. If I'm wearing safety glasses (mowing, welding/grinding, doing construction, ect) the muffs become uncomfortable after a while because they are pushing against the sides of the glasses. Now that I'm wearing regular glasses daily, that has become more of an issue. I don't notice it at first, but after several hours, it starts to give me a noticeable headache that's difficult to deal with. I've noticed that the behind-the-neck style of muffs don't push as hard against my glasses and are more comfortable for me wear all day long. They also fit with my welding helmet on. For the past few decades, I've normally worn a hat with a full brim which also makes over the head muffs a no go for me.

Many plugs, on the other hand, make my ears sore if I have them in for several hours. Not to mention that if they are connected with a string, they tend to get pulled out by my shirt. The individual closed cell foam plugs have been the most comfortable for me to wear, but they are also the hardest to get in correctly (so that they stay put). I've tried electronic plugs and love the ones with built in Bluetooth, but they NEVER stay in very long. I love the idea, but the application sucks IMHO. I don't see how ANYONE on an active firing range could be happy with them, ESPECIALLY if they are doing any kind of running and gunning. I'd much rather have the same features in a behind the neck muff, but I haven't been able to find any.

I've tried electronic plugs and love the ones with built in Bluetooth, but they NEVER stay in very long. I love the idea, but the application sucks IMHO. I don't see how ANYONE on an active firing range could be happy with them, ESPECIALLY if they are doing any kind of running and gunning. I'd much rather have the same features in a behind the neck muff, but I haven't been able to find any.

I've been pretty dang happy with my Raycon earbuds. Saw a bunch of YT ads and finally pulled the trigger, been glad I did, would 100% do so again. Worth a look.

I've been pretty dang happy with my Raycon earbuds. Saw a bunch of YT ads and finally pulled the trigger, been glad I did, would 100% do so again. Worth a look.
I've tried earbuds like that before. Anything that has a curved foam or silicone shaped cup on the end won't stay in my ear more than about 10 minutes, even when I'm not working. I have a pair of AXIL GS Extreme earbuds and I've tried every kind of replacement tip I can find. Nothing works. Over a short period of time, they always end up pushing themselves most of the way back out of my ear canal. After that, the slightest bump on either the earbud, or the cable that connects the pair is enough to dislodge them from my ear far enough that they no longer offer any protection. I'm better off with a cheap pair of ear pods sitting under a pair of behind-the-neck muffs.

As far as plugs vs muffs, I think that with plugs, once the pressure waves make contact with your ear, the vibrations will easily continue along your skin making it easier for the wearer to still hear sounds even though they are MUCH quieter.

I had a Husqvarna helmet to start with, and didn't like it. I immediately returned it and bought a Stihl which I liked better. Unfortunately, about the 3rd time I used it, I set it down and knocked it off onto a hard surface breaking one of the built in muffs off the helmet. That was about 15 years ago and I haven't bothered to replace them because I found them awkward to use. I normally just use plugs instead. I've thought about trying to connect a set of plugs to my helmet, but never bothered.

Earpro is actually something that I'm constantly looking into. My lack of taking care of my hearing in my teens and early 20s has had its effect on me, but thankfully I started taking it more seriously while I was in college. My issue with both styles is comfort and being able to keep them on/in while actually working. If I'm wearing safety glasses (mowing, welding/grinding, doing construction, ect) the muffs become uncomfortable after a while because they are pushing against the sides of the glasses. Now that I'm wearing regular glasses daily, that has become more of an issue. I don't notice it at first, but after several hours, it starts to give me a noticeable headache that's difficult to deal with. I've noticed that the behind-the-neck style of muffs don't push as hard against my glasses and are more comfortable for me wear all day long. They also fit with my welding helmet on. For the past few decades, I've normally worn a hat with a full brim which also makes over the head muffs a no go for me.

Many plugs, on the other hand, make my ears sore if I have them in for several hours. Not to mention that if they are connected with a string, they tend to get pulled out by my shirt. The individual closed cell foam plugs have been the most comfortable for me to wear, but they are also the hardest to get in correctly (so that they stay put). I've tried electronic plugs and love the ones with built in Bluetooth, but they NEVER stay in very long. I love the idea, but the application sucks IMHO. I don't see how ANYONE on an active firing range could be happy with them, ESPECIALLY if they are doing any kind of running and gunning. I'd much rather have the same features in a behind the neck muff, but I haven't been able to find any.
I like these and use them daily.
17206292551694968105397832030101.jpg

I've always used a Stihl helmet with ear muffs and screen down. Works well enough until I was cutting Balsam Fir. That sap just shot through the screen and into my eyeball. eye-ouch. Now I put glasses on when cutting stuff like that or weed wacking toxic sap plants.
Dave

Back