Hello tree people

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ivin

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
New here,

just posted a question in the chainsaw section

Have some forest around my house that I’m thinning out, removing standing dead and delimbing low branches. Trying to make it a bit more fire safe and park-like. I do a lot of chipping for our farm too.

Hoping to get enough done where my father in law has to stop saying “there’s a dead one”

Welcome to AS. Sounds like the fil needs to pick up the saw 🤣
Good luck and be safe!
Haha! Oh I’ll keep him busy next time he comes.
IMG_2595.jpeg

his other quote is “you could sell that firewood to campers”. Have at it Al, have at it.

Standing dead trees are called snags and are extremely important to the environment. They provide nesting sites for cavity nesters ranging from woodpeckers to squirrels, racoons and bees. They are favored by raptors as hunting perches and are a prime source of bugs for birds that feed on them.

They have more value to certain species, such as woodpeckers, than live trees. Something you might want to pass along to those who only see them in a negative light.

Haha! Oh I’ll keep him busy next time he comes. View attachment 1186987
his other quote is “you could sell that firewood campers”. Have at it Al, have at it.

Standing dead trees are called snags and are extremely important to the environment. They provide nesting sites for cavity nesters ranging from woodpeckers to squirrels, racoons and bees. They are favored by raptors as hunting perches and are a prime source of bugs for birds that feed on them.

They have more value to certain species, such as woodpeckers, than live trees. Something you might want to pass along to those who only see them in a negative light.
Thanks for educating me. Unfortunately it’s the old tale of human “manages” forest to protect home. I am not without impact here, but I won’t be firing up grampa’s old dozer to clear crop land for the couple hundred acres of forest we have. We appreciate and admire the bush and the critters that call it home. The forest is slowly moving past the old fence lines and reclaiming its land. That will be the case until we’re gone and someone other humans make their plans.

Back