Help me Stihl gurus...031AV

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use acid first, but not sandpaper. I have been known to take some 400 or 600 emery to them, but not as an "aluminum remover" - just a quick hone on spots.

I use acid first, but not sandpaper. I have been known to take some 400 or 600 emery to them, but not as an "aluminum remover" - just a quick hone on spots.

I finally got some time to dabble with this saw tonight.

The cylinder has been cleaned up with muriatic acid, then followed up with a quick honing ($5 at a local shop).

I've got a $9 kit (and about 30 minutes) into the carb.

Now the piston...

Whattya think...a little sanding some new rings and let her rip?

I've been checking out rings but I have no idea how to tell if I have the 44mm or the 45mm piston. I'm going to need the cylinder gasket too.

Where do I go from here?

Buy a new Piston and new rings!

Buy a new Piston and new rings! You can save a cylinder, but never reuse a piston that has had material removed due to heat or lack of lubrication.

How long did they hone the cylinder? Did you get to watch them do it?

If you want some pop out of that old saw move on over to one of the High performance sites. Just doing some minor stuff like setting the squish and cutting the skirt on the intake side of the piston will make the engine run better. Or even widening the exhaust port and polishing it. then matching the hole on the muffler. Of course a muffler mod also.

Good Luck,
Scott.

How long did they hone the cylinder? Did you get to watch them do it?

If you want some pop out of that old saw move on over to one of the High performance sites. Just doing some minor stuff like setting the squish and cutting the skirt on the intake side of the piston will make the engine run better. Or even widening the exhaust port and polishing it. then matching the hole on the muffler. Of course a muffler mod also.

Good Luck,
Scott.

I didn't get to watch and I don't know how long it took to hone. I suspect not too long....when I dropped it off the guy took a look and said "doesn't look bad at all"

Back