help with a rewind spring

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paul hill

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Ok, laugh if you want to, I thought I was smarter than this. I'm trying to put a new rewind spring in a Pioneer P-41 and it's kicking my butt real bad. Got the old spring out and the new spring in place but I can't seem to get the starter rope rewound onto the spool properly with spring tension so that it works. I was close once and it wasn't quite right so I started over. Now I'm not even getting it close and my patience is gone. Any detailed instructions would be great and would save me a trip to the saw shop and some further embarresment. Thanks.

Ok you have the spring fully seated in the housing? Then wrap the rope around the pully leave about 6 inches out and run it through the notch thats in the top sheave of the pully. Then you want to drop the pully down on the shaft with the notch that catches the spring just in front of the corresponding finger on the spring. Now tighten the screw that holds it on still keeping the 6 inces of rope in the notch. Ok then just turn it while you hold the rope tight in the direction of the arrow on the pully the number of times for preload. Then hold the pully still and thread the rope through the stater housing and into the handle and you done. Good luck hope that helps you out:cool:

Preset a rewind

I had a old Pioneer dealer one time show me a few tricks with rewinds. First he would assemble the rewind without any preset.
Then loop the rope up through the notch in the pulley to allow the pulley to turn 3 or 4 turns, hold the pulley and pull the rope with the handle. With the pulley already secured and the handle already tied on the rope, this task becomes easy. This picture might save a 1000 words.

Thanks a bunch guys. I actually figured it out this afternoon. I guess it's alot easier when I pull my head out to see what I'm doing. Hopefully I won't forget how to do this next time.

Latest posts

Back