Holzfforma chainsaws any good?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What's funny is you just have to do the quality control on them yourself. Granted the manufacturing process and material are lacking on the replicas but side by side the parts look pretty dang close. The Stihl Factory is probably right next door. LOL When Stihl throws a piece away that doesn't pass quality control the Chinese get it and make two of them out of the same single piece of material. You know that isn't true, but I often wonder.

Ben your a funny person. I cut wood all summer long and build cheap clones during my off time. It takes me half a day to clean up a chicom saw and assemble it. I own and use only real Stihl saws to make money. I have worked on my own saws my whole life. I know Stihl saws like the back of my hand. Chinese clones go together the same down to the same screw lengths. The quality isn't even close to the same. Counting my labor to clean them up and pull old Stihl parts out of my salvage and rebuild a carb takes 20 minutes and 12 bucks. I buy the clone 460 3 at a time for 230 each and assemble, turn them for 625. It's a money making hobby. It's like a paid vacation for me. I also do service and repairs on Stihls. I can always use a clone part on a working mans saw to keep it running till I get OEM or a quality part for them.
69 and still moving and never bored.
Ed, my comment wasn't aimed at you per se. It was aimed at the whole concept of chinese knock off saws.

Ben W. Please man, I read your post and replies and the knowledge you share, lately it seems you are highly stressed and venting on here. What does it really matter to you what I do for entertainment? I am just posting some info on here in case someone ends up buying one of these saws. I would rather them buy a good saw. I build these for mostly friends that do hobby firewood cutting and they have fun with them and get their own firewood in the process. They also know that if they have a problem with them I am there for them and will fix it at no charge while they watch and learn. Do yourself a favor Ben and lighten up, find some peace in your life. To much stress will lead to an early demise. I don't know you at all and by no means trying to disrespect you, I truly despise what stress does to people, many a good man have lost to it. Hopefully when you piss on that fence you aren't grounded well.
I'm not stressed at all. In fact I'm about to take a month off for hunting season. Life is good.

Buy supmix. Put in mixed gas and oil. Pull 5 times. Running. Turn down idle. Go cut wood.

Next time...pull 3 times. Running. Go cut wood. Tune. Done. Cut more wood.

So far over and over and over again.

Handles nicely. Runs nicely. Over and over. So far. And tunes predictably! Like a pre epa saw. Nice. The only issue is the damn thing sucks fines. I tried lots of things and finally just sealed the mating surface with motoseal. Now I can just blow the filter off in place.

Ditto on the little top handles. Other than the sucking fines thing. They don't.

This is my second season of cutting most of my firewood with china saws. And it's not like I don't have some nice little saws..

I get out my "good" saws from time to time and just shake my head in wonderment. My china saws compare favourably. Crazy, I know, but 🤷‍♂️

Every now and then I consider the Datsun 510. The 240z. Functionally awesome if just a little rough around the edges.

🤷‍♂️
Pretty darn close, I have got one so far (460) that will run side by side in performance, but there is no way it will last even last a quarter of the time, I am watching it closely. A Sawyer friend of mine has been running the the crap outta it for a couple weeks now. ( With a 462 in tow)I built one really closely resembling a 280 it ran good but only lasted a month of hard use. I know a guy that builds the husky clones and he says you can barely tell the difference in OEM and clone parts, go figure that. That's funny you mentioned Datsun. I work as a parts specifier for them in the seventies, there was quite a few Taxi companies that used the 510's good fuel economy and independent suspension all the way around made them a decent little economy car and fun as heck to drive on mountain roads

Th
I'm not stressed at all. In fact I'm about to take a month off for hunting season. Life is good.excells
Go
Ed, my comment wasn't aimed at you per se. It was aimed at the whole concept of chinese knock off saws.
Got it, I just do it for hobby cutters mostly. I didn't really like the idea of of buying Chinese crap because I always considered myself to be somewhat of a patriot and didn't like supporting communism. I figured hell, damn near everything made comes from China anyways. Hey have a really good hunting adventure Ben. Watch out for those electric fences.

@Ed Penney was that a HLIC 14 (one on right) thats what is used to fix G466 to replace their ones that have issues (one on left) weird letters shown? Also that is what the G444 comes with and has been flawless for years.

Mine tune and act just like oem carbs in those. Have talked to one guy that uses them local and said he ran across 2 that had seats off. One was fixable by polishing other was not.

Attachments

• g444g466.jpg
    g444g466.jpg
    373.7 KB
  • hliccarb4446x.jpg
    hliccarb4446x.jpg
    476.1 KB
That guy and his annoying "nice canadian" schtick is about enough to drive me to drink. In addition let's not forget he aided and abedded known scammer and all around retard Ironhorse.

You handled that well "friends". I was poking the bear "friends". Must be a youtube saw guy thing. Though Dyno Joe doesn't say it.

What's funny is you just have to do the quality control on them yourself. Granted the manufacturing process and material are lacking on the replicas but side by side the parts look pretty dang close. The Stihl Factory is probably right next door. LOL When Stihl throws a piece away that doesn't pass quality control the Chinese get it and make two of them out of the same single piece of material. You know that isn't true, but I often wonder.
Have you run across tank vent issues on the ChiClones? Recently had a customer have an issue with his new one. Turned out to be a tank vent that wasn't venting in or out. How about Huayang carbs? Tried them yet?

Pretty darn close, I have got one so far (460) that will run side by side in performance, but there is no way it will last even last a quarter of the time, I am watching it closely. A Sawyer friend of mine has been running the the crap outta it for a couple weeks now. ( With a 462 in tow)I built one really closely resembling a 280 it ran good but only lasted a month of hard use. I know a guy that builds the husky clones and he says you can barely tell the difference in OEM and clone parts, go figure that. That's funny you mentioned Datsun. I work as a parts specifier for them in the seventies, there was quite a few Taxi companies that used the 510's good fuel economy and independent suspension all the way around made them a decent little economy car and fun as heck to drive on mountain roads
And tough...but rusty. Like a VW, only rustier.

Back