Homelite XL-12

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I sold an Allis/Poulan 306 a while back. That sure was a nice sounding saw, even with muffs. I'd like to know what their secret is. I'll see what this Homelite 500 sounds like when I get it running--open stack.

Now that I think of it, the 111's sound is prety interesting. Big hollow bangs with a weird whistling noise from the flywheel. Kind of like a turo Saab.

I just picked up another super clean low hour 306A. I had missed that sound. :) That 111S must be awesome John. What does the 500 homey look like?

Mike's site should have a photo of it the 500 when it's up and running. That saw looks old and cheap. :) The engine is attached to this formed peice of steel that acts as the frame. Then there's a strapped-on tank and aluminum tube handles. The '50s version of a Poulan Wildthing, I guess. Weighs about 20 pounds.

My mistake, I guess I was thinking of the Wiz.

Here's mine. It's suposed to be all red, but the previous owner painted the tank silver.

NO FIRE!!

Hi Guy's, you all seem real pleased with the XL-12 My buddy just got one at auction for $2.00 with no fire. Points look good. I think the coil has had it. Anyone got an extra??? thanks The Hoosier

I have a red SuperXL with a 20" bar, and a blue XL12, with a 16" roller tip bar and stack muffler like the picture above. Both cut like mad, but they're heavy. The XL12 with the stack is LOUD! Both are really neat saws, but I'm ready for modern technology. I'm going to sell them and get a Husky 372XP or Walkerized 357 with a 20" bar instead. I'd love to keep 'em also, but can't afford to. And I had just rebuilt the carb on the Super.
Randy

SXL - XL12 Muffler???

Just a little softer than no "exhaust director"
They were replaced with a 2 bolt muffler similar to the later 3 bolt mufflers. Still available.

XL-12 knock off's were built by:
Pioneer as models 1100 and 1200 series
Remington as models PL-4, PL-5.
Lombard as Comango and Al-42 series
Wright as model 141
A Green looking XL-12 would probably be a Remington built PL-5 made for John Deere.

Back