Hot Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sam Tedders

Reaction score
I would like to know who to contact about building a hot saw and what saw to use in stock saw class? I manage a large farm and do alot of timber cutting the saws I have now are a Husky 288, a 3120,357XP I have 2 Stihl 26pros a o8s, a 510 on the 510 I would like to know if anyone knows when this saw was made? This saw still runs great! Also any information on custom chains and bars?

Thanks, Sam Tedders

I know at first this question may sound dumb but, Sam, Do you want to win at the show at which you are competing? The reason that it is important to know the answer to this question is that most guys want to attend a saw race and bring their warmed up saw and think they can win. The truth is they can't if there is a dedicated racer at the show. I think to win you have to;
1. Decide in which class you will compete.
2. Get a saw that is exactly on the top of the size limit for that class.
3. Select a performance saw to modify. In otherwords don't try to race a Mcculloch 80 in the five and under cubic inch class. Although the saw is at the top of the five and under displacement, it is not a performance saw and it will be hard to modify to compete.
4. Dedicate your race saw to race only. You can't take your saw out in the morning to cut a pick-up load of firewood and then win a race with it in the afternoon. Not at any shows I attend.
5. Learn how to sharpen chain or pay someone to build you a good race chain.
6. Have Ken Dunn, Sawracr, Dennis Greffard, Dozerdan, or myself put the full modified treatment to your saw. We will have to know the rules, and what is allowed, to do this.
7. Don't expect to pay for your saw by racing. This is an expensive hobby. You will have to do it for the love of it and personal pride.
8. Get as much experience as you can by attending every show in the area near where you live. You will find some people are more willing to talk and help you than others. Learn all you can.
9. I do all these things and more and still don't win very often so don't get discouraged.
Now you can understand why not too many people want to compete very often. The same racers seem to win time after time. The dedication neccessary is not easy. If any of the other racers have seen anything I have left out please feel free to add to this information. Mike

Mr. Rupley is absolutely right, but he has cast things in a sort of glaring light. Racing can be serious business, but it can be enjoyable even if you don't win.

I have never raced saws formally, and probably would be poor at it, but I have been involved in some other forms of racing; Snowmobile, motorcycle and formula vee. I'll tell you that I never rode anything into the winner's circle, not once, although some engines that I built did.

And it was all a lot of fun. Even on the days when we blew up everything we brought, we had a good time.

Good luck to you. Have fun!

Hey Rupedoggy,
You sure took the wind out of my sail. I just spent the day dissassembling a McC super 44. 4.9 cube. I was thinking of building it as a hot saw. I thought I might try to adapt a new reed cage to it, have a pipe built, do some port work, and try to run it in local 5 and under class. I really didn't expect to build a winner, too many super serious guys to beat, but just want something that won't embarass me, and I really like the old macs. I can see that there is a lot of open space in the crankcase. Is that the biggest disavantage? Am I just dreaming?
Scott

Scott,

Everything that Mike says about racing is correct. Don't let that deter you.

The best thing about lumberjack sports are the people involved. You will not find another sport where the people that you comptete against are so friendly and helpful.

I did more or less, what you are considering. I modified an old C-9 Homelite as a "hotsaw." I haven't finished on the first page of the score sheet yet, (I never will with this saw) but I've had a good time, and I've learned alot about chainsaws in general, and racing saws in particular. Thses old saws can be built into something that will impress 90% of the folks in audience. I was at a show a show last month where an old Mac hotsaw made an impressive run that was only a couple seconds out of the bucks. (It was an all out hotsaw that had belonged to a well know competetor years back) . My cut at that show was in the mid 8's, about twice the winning time, and the saw has the potential to cut somewhat faster. (I'm building a 394 Husky hotsaw. Lord willing, it will be ready for next summer :) )

If you do decide to build the Mac, make sure you get a good racing chain for it.

Chuck

Rupedogs reply was right on, and the only thing that I may add is that I learned to cut correctly was (mostly from watching) the style/tech. that the really fast cutters used. I taped them/studied them and practiced untill I got it right. Practice and lots of it will make you faster. Having the fastest saw and sharpest chain will not win a race if the operater cant make a good cut. Just for fun take 4 or 5 of your friends and each of you take a timed cut in the same log with the same saw and chain and take a look at the times. Tape yourself when cutting and review it. You may think you cut fast with your saw, but most people don't or dont know how.

If you have a Mc 44 that is 4.9 cubic inches I think it might do well in the 5 and under class. If you are allowed to put a pipe on it so much the better. Mcs run a lot better with a pipe. If you can talk with some of the older Kart racers that used to run Mcs you may find some special manifolds, carburetors, and other racing equipment. If you can fit these to your Mc it will help a lot. The Mc 80 that I refered to in the previous post was not a racing type saw, but some were. I didn't mean to infer that all Mcs were slow. Heck the 125 Mc karts that run here still win most races. I even have a couple myself. Mike

I like the McC hot saw pic. I was thinking about hacking the gas tank to fit a bigger reed cage, and I see that is what was done on that saw. I think I'll continue with the build-up, if nothing else, it will be good experience. It was really odd to be working on that saw today and come in to read your reply in this post. Getting the cuts done without cutting out or over, is really important. I was surprised at the last race I participated in. Of the first 9 contestants in the stock saw, 7 got no time because of cutting out or over. 4" of wood for 3 cuts is not a lot, you have to make quick switches to win, but you have to use some care to stay in the wood. When you get out there to cut in front of other people, it can be nerve wracking, especially when you follow Rick Halverson. I was less than a second behind him, in the stock saw, felt pretty good about that.
Scott

Scott, Rick Halvorsen is one of the guys I learned from, in fact my 325 Rotax used to be his. Rick was and still is one of the finest cutters in the world and you can learn much from him. Rick is extremely fast at putting the saw to the wood and his transfer to the up-cut or down-cut is equally as good. If you can run agaist that crowd you are in some mighty fine company. Wish you well

Next Summer Scott!

Hey Scott, Thanks for the info on the old saws classes again. I just picked up a 44 as well. I think we might have to have a little 44 shoot out next summer on either side of the lake. Let me ?(us) know how that comes together, and all of the tricks you put on it. You want a fair race dont ya! John Brooks

Thanks for the inspiration guys, I'm currently building a pipe for my Jonsered 830. I don't plan on entering a race with it. But it is still cool to experiment with pipes and carbs. Hopefully they will have races in the N.H. one day so I can watch the pros go at it.
Josh.

Scott
Did you race at the Lake States Logging Congress (Lumberjack competition) in Madison last Friday?
The next competion is the Wisconsin State Lumberjack Championships September 21st 9:00 am in Lakewood, WI . Seth

Thats where I was. I'm going to be in Eagle river on that Saturday, otherwise I would go to Lakewood. Is Seth the guy from Fort Atkinson? That's part of it Josh, just experimenting, have a fun toy to play with.
Scott

Latest posts

Back