How long to stack

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

diver64

ArboristSite Guru
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just found a cheap Alaskan style that I plan on using to cut 2x4-8 and 6x6's out of softwood for an addition on the hunting camp.
After I cut it will be stacked outside with stickers and a tarp to keep off the rain and snow in northern New England Would 1yr be enough for the wood to be used or am I looking at 2-3yr building time.
Would a cheap moisture reader be a good buy?

I cut hemlock and use it green.
It's that or worry about splitting or having to pre drill for nails not to mention twisting or cupping.
Never had drying cause any troubles.

End coat the logs after you buck them.

Timberframe or stick build? Tradional timberframes used to be put up green. Dimensional lumber might be better off stacking and stickering. The beams on top would make good weights for the stickered piles.

Forestry Forum has a good forum on timber framing.

I cut hemlock and use it green.
It's that or worry about splitting or having to pre drill for nails not to mention twisting or cupping.
Never had drying cause aby troubles.
Northern VT. Hemlock and balsom. The trees were knocked down in a storm 2 years ago but are hung up off the ground and solid.

Rule of thumb is a year per inch, but there are so many variables it could easily be half or double that. As mentioned, its not uncomon to frame with fairly green timber... it won't shrink significantly length ways, you may just have to be mindful of shrinkage when it comes to lining the walls etc

Latest posts

Back