How many logs fit in a dump truck?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
He wanted $500 I told him Im not a buyer at that price and threw out $450. I wanted it for 400 but didnt want him to short the load. He likely would of stacked a little higher than what I got for $500 but I have no way to prove it other than he said it would be 2' over the wooden planks on the box... I have mixed feelings about the quantity and size of the wood for the price but I guess it's all good, 90% maple. I know he didnt want to come down so he liekly held back a few logs to make up for it on his end. I know he has many more loads to get out and the ground it getting soft so he's motivated to move it. I typically like some larger logs though and these are on the smaller side. The benefit will be less splitting. It was funny because he called me in the morning and said he had "wrote in his schedule that I was going to call him back by tuesday" and so thats why he called me to see if I was still interested. That made me think he wanted to get rid of some wood.

I can see where he could have piled it up a bit more but at the same point it looks like a lot of the rounds could use one split or none at all so it should process quickly.

Fair deal, (I think, )

If your area is similar to here, it's still a very strong seller's market for treelength and CS&D.

Proof will be in the cutting and splitting. Whenever I hear maple I cringe a bit until I see it as you never know how much rot will be in the center. That stuff being smaller diameter should be solid through and through.

You're right about the rapidly approaching mud season. As a seller he's got to deliver fast, it's not just the hassle getting the wood out, but avoiding tearing up or literally burying the truck in a customer's yard.

Take Care

Your absolutely right. The driver was a little lerious about my spot but I ensured him it was packed gravel under some shallow sod. The delivery was at about 11 so the warm sun hadnt thawed the ground yet. With mig 50's coming in another day the thaw will be full swing and chits about to hit the fan. I need some bigger equipment to join the major league scroungers. Just a truck and saw is not enough some times. A trailer would help, maybe next year's purchase.

Your absolutely right. The driver was a little lerious about my spot but I ensured him it was packed gravel under some shallow sod. The delivery was at about 11 so the warm sun hadnt thawed the ground yet. With mig 50's coming in another day the thaw will be full swing and chits about to hit the fan. I need some bigger equipment to join the major league scroungers. Just a truck and saw is not enough some times. A trailer would help, maybe next year's purchase.
Side boards on the truck:yes:

I agree. In the end I likely bought some education from this.
That's how I have learned too. If that load would have been 18" to 24" or so 4 cords easy close to 5. The small logs are not going to make as much wood. Tell him next time to hang them 8' out the back.... Can't really tell him what to do though..... Look for large diameter logs mostly when judging if its a "fat" load. Crooked dont matter to much as long as stacked tight as possible. Shorter logs than you got are always trouble too.

I guess they could let them hand out the back but dont know what considerations need to me made to do that. I was expecting some larger wood becase I went to his landing and the wood was larger than what made it on the truck.

I guess they could let them hand out the back but dont know what considerations need to me made to do that. I was expecting some larger wood becase I went to his landing and the wood was larger than what made it on the truck.
A strap or probably two to be legal. That's what one of the guys that delivers to me does. The other has a truck that looks like yours he closes the tailgate. Guy that hangs them out usually bring me 5 to 6 cords other guy 3.5 to 4.5ish

Im hopeful there is 4 there but have my doubts. I didnt want to buy two loads this year so I think Im done. Future loads will be log trucks, no exceptions. Even is I have to buy truck and pup to get down to $100/cord delivered. I think between this load, the rest of last years and any wood I scrounge I will be set for this coming winter but that only puts me 1 year ahead. I wanted to maintain more than that in at least log form. Maybe I will save some money and buy this fall. Get it while you can is the name of the game, thats why I took this load.

Im hopeful there is 4 there but have my doubts. I didnt want to buy two loads this year so I think Im done. Future loads will be log trucks, no exceptions. Even is I have to buy truck and pup to get down to $100/cord delivered. I think between this load, the rest of last years and any wood I scrounge I will be set for this coming winter but that only puts me 1 year ahead. I wanted to maintain more than that in at least log form. Maybe I will save some money and buy this fall. Get it while you can is the name of the game, thats why I took this load.
That's what I do too:chainsaw::chop:

to some people little to no splitting is a good thing. i would be a bit disappointed with that but it is better than nothing.
Im going to take the other $500 that I would have spent towards another load and put it towards a Blaze King. Save me money and time that I would otherwise spend towards buying and processing more firewood. Cut my future consumption I think is the best strategy.

I think you'll have close to the 4 cords. I don't think the trucker tried to give you any less logs on the load, he just don't like loading any different and take the extra time doing so. It's hard for him to stagger his logs if he doesn't have the room. If you have the room, I'd be looking at another load and offer a little less $$ only because those logs look clean and next the same wood will be costing you a lot more because of all the snow in your area. If you have an indoor stove, those logs are just about right. Hope it works out well for you..

Finally getting around to cutting, splitting and stacking this load. One thing is for sure, this is some dry stuff!
8361.jpeg

I'll get a total when it's all stacked. Maybe it will help someone in the future to know how much fits in a dump truck. Right now I'm leaning towards a cord and a half but hope I'm wrong and it's closer to 2. I wont know until its all stacked and I measure it. My stacks are usually about 5 foot tall and I have to add a pallet or two on the end so total length might be twice the length of closest row.

IMG_20160706_065958975.jpg

Latest posts

Back