How many logs fit in a dump truck?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is an example of how difficult it is to know the exact amount of wood. We have 2 guys here who both very well versed in the firewood process and they have different opinions on the amount of wood a log contains once it is cut and split.
Hupte says it will yield more.
Svk says it will be less.
And I guess from Dave's measurements he says it will yield more too. 90 cubic feet of solid wood equals 128 cubic feet when split.
Me, I just keep cutting until I'm tired then I go to bed and get up the next morning and do the same thing.

I dont know Cantoo, I kind of agree that once split it will yield more, I am just not sure 90 solid cuft will yield 128 cuft split. I believe a individual scaled log of whatever size will split and stack more than it scales. Only way to know for certain is to scale a log then process it and see how it turns out. I dont believe a given size load of logs, throwed or stacked into a truck of any given size, will necessary process out to more than the area taken up in the truck bed. Solid wood should gain area because of the increased airspace once split. But a load of logs, of varying size and length, crooked and straight, doesnt stack any better in a truck bed than split wood and once processed would most likely take up less area and yield less measured cords once split and stacked, if that makes any sense.

This ain't a scientific method... but...
If I start with a pile of rounds and split them... I end up with a larger pile of splits.
If I load my trailer full of rounds or large splits it's noticeably heavier than if I load it with smaller splits.
And an full armload of large splits is most definitely heavier than an armload of small splits.

A simple experiment...
Take twenty five rounds (or relatively large splits) and stack them neatly in a rack... measure the height.
Now split those twenty five rounds (or relatively large splits) in half and neatly re-stack in the same rack... I'm willin' to bet the height will be taller.
Split those (now 50) splits in half again and the racked stack will be taller yet.
I'll betcha every time you split them in half the height of the stack gets taller.
I'll betcha...

A few years back, I was offered a tri-axle dump load of logs for $400. The owner stated 4-5 cords when processed. I didn't buy them because they looked like they were pulled from a swamp, all covered with mud to the point where I couldn't identify the logs. However the quantity looks good.

"How many cord of logs can fit on a tri-axle dump truck?" another question relative to size of the tri-axel truck to the size of the single log! in most scenario's this question will be answered in a single word... "ONE".

I have been buying log loads in a tri-axle for several years now and find that I get around 3 1/3 cords up to 4 cords per load. Some loads are more because the logs are smaller in dia so they stack nicer other times one or two logs might turn or twist while loading so I might end up with more air space in that load. What I am paying for is a 4 cord load by space but many times I'll end up with more by the time it's cut and split. I just talked to our supplier about this logs and I found out that he only cuts in the winter time and stacks the logs until the next fall and then because they load in a dump and unload the same way, I get very little if any dirt on my logs so my chain stays sharper longer with this supplier vs the one guy who takes off the logs and stacks them for me.. Just a thought..

I have been buying log loads in a tri-axle for several years now and find that I get around 3 1/3 cords up to 4 cords per load. Some loads are more because the logs are smaller in dia so they stack nicer other times one or two logs might turn or twist while loading so I might end up with more air space in that load. What I am paying for is a 4 cord load by space but many times I'll end up with more by the time it's cut and split. I just talked to our supplier about this logs and I found out that he only cuts in the winter time and stacks the logs until the next fall and then because they load in a dump and unload the same way, I get very little if any dirt on my logs so my chain stays sharper longer with this supplier vs the one guy who takes off the logs and stacks them for me.. Just a thought..
Thanks for your info. Just to confirm, you are talking about a tri axle dump truck not a log truck right? Your numbers sound right for a dump truck. I was told tri axle log trucks fit 6 cord of wood (18 face cord).

I think the guy advertising 5 cord in his dump is exagerating by a cord honestly. $500 is a little steap for 4 cord of wood IMO and I dont feel like paying for a "learning experience".

I went through this just this past winter. Buy the wood by the ton. Your guaranteed to get what you pay for that way. Same log truck with a load to the top had a variance of 4 cord from load to load. When it was ten cord on a load it was a good deal. At 5-6 cord ppl on a load for the same money it was a money loser. Tonnage doesn't lie.

If it helps our 1 ton dump loaded with 12 ft logs 4 ft high yields anywhere from just over a cord to almost 2 cord Once css

I have seen figures anywhere from 160-200 cu ft for loose firewood. The problem is it all depends on how the wood falls in place. I have hauled loose loads to my house and it has never stacked to the same amount, even with pretty close to the same loose amount in the truck.

This was a bit under 3 cords... It's hard to guess with loaded. I only know because I processed the wood afterwards.

This is also the same issue with logs. Smaller straight logs will pack in tighter than larger or crooked logs. A log of crooked logs might look like a bunch of wood, but it disappears quick when you start cutting it up.

About the only semi accurate way (and this is what mills use... at least ones up in northern Maine) is to weigh it. x weight = x cords.
And even then wet vs dry wood will effect that... granted it would also effect volume (cord) to a degree too.

As far as a dump truck holding x amount, std 5 axle log truck holding x amount, tri axle log truck holding x amount... there is no set size to any of these trucks, so it's impossible to say unless you have truck measurements.
The 5 axle log truck we use holds ~9 cords of around 45ft length logs. 10 if it stacks nice.
Now another guy I got wood from before, similar truck, but it held 10 cords easy, 11 if heaps and nice fitting logs.

OP, is there a photo available of the truck with a load of wood, like maybe from an ad online? That would help to tell.

And on the price... again... what is cheap in on locale is expensive in another. $500 for 4 cords is a great price in this area. That's only $125/cord.

And on the price... again... what is cheap in on locale is expensive in another. $500 for 4 cords is a great price in this area. That's only $125/cord.

$150-175 a cord for split mixed hardwood around here. dead of winter when everyone is out of wood to sell you can bump that up to $200. Full loads of oak sell for the same. We catch some grief from a few people for having poplar, maple, sassafras in our $150 cord. They seem to think that for $150 a cord delivered they should get oak/ cherry/ hickory and that including anything else the price should be less. My new(97 f350) dump has a 12ft bed on it so i am hoping with taller sideboards i can fit 2 cords of loose splits on it and make a little more money. It seems from all the ads i see that about 50 miles north around the bigger city the average price is $250 a cord.

$150-175 a cord for split mixed hardwood around here. dead of winter when everyone is out of wood to sell you can bump that up to $200. Full loads of oak sell for the same. We catch some grief from a few people for having poplar, maple, sassafras in our $150 cord. They seem to think that for $150 a cord delivered they should get oak/ cherry/ hickory and that including anything else the price should be less. My new(97 f350) dump has a 12ft bed on it so i am hoping with taller sideboards i can fit 2 cords of loose splits on it and make a little more money. It seems from all the ads i see that about 50 miles north around the bigger city the average price is $250 a cord.
That's quite a bit cheaper than here and we've got no shortage of trees.

Do you think EAB has suppressed prices in your area?

Midwinter you can get $150 a pickup load here. Rest of the year it seems to be $175-200 a cord for mixed hardwood. One guy gets $300 a cord for birch/maple plus delivery mileage.

pickup loads go for as low as $35 delivered around here! EAB doesnt seem to have affected the price at all. just a rural area and everyone has a pickup/chainsaw so in the summer and early winter seems like everybody sells some wood for extra beer money. 95% of it is green but price is king so that doesnt seem to matter much

I have bought logs from a guy who deliverer with a 30 yard dumpster mounded up some. He claimed the loads averaged 6 cords and after buying quite a few off him, I can say that number was pretty darn accurate.

Granted these log cut offs are loose in the 40 yard container. The driver estimated 16-17 ton which would be roughly be 7.6 cord. So this is much bigger than a dump truck that is 16-20 yards. If they were stacked figure maybe 4 full cord.

Or figure it's and 18 yard truck. an 18 yard truck holds 286 cubic feet divided by 128 cubic foot in a cord = 3.79 cord.

a492e8.jpg

A few of these are mighty heavy. The big one is the middle is at least 1500 #'s.

nfr6ll.jpg

16-17 tons of wood is about 5.5 cords if that was hardwood. (6000 lbs a cord for logs is the normally accepted number).

My brother bought wood like that from a local mill. he ended being short on wood a bit at that weight even.
It was no fun processing it compared to normal logs because it was all odd lengths. It made for a lot of chunks/cookies.

If your going by the 6000lb per cord weight for hardwoods, you are most likely shorting the hauler. Most hardwoods, beech/ash, elm, black walnut, will weigh around 4700-5200lbs cord, Red and White oaks will weigh around 56-5700lbs. If your buying cords based on 6000lbper cord, then its very likely you are getting more than you expected. http://www.csgnetwork.com/logweight.html this calculator will help when guessing how much you are actually getting. Even buying and selling by weight can put you in the hole. Logs are usually green when delivered and sold dry after processing and seasoning. You lose weight as moisture content goes down. Best I think you can do is use best guess judgment, developed from experience. If the truck driver says 5 cords and your thinking 3 is closer, then walk away. If driver says 5 cord and it looks close, go for it. Unless its been measured and scaled, best guesses are all you got to go by

Back