How often do you file (sharpen) a chain

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chainsaw Pete

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Yeah, I know, "When it gets dull". But how long does that take? We had a 75' pin oak*, it was about 5'- 6' in diameter at ground level, with two trunks forking about 5 - 6' above the ground. Each trunk was 14 - 16" in diameter at the fork. A microburst knocked one of the trunks down, and a pro crew cut it up and took down the remaining trunk. I never saw any of the guys touch up their saws. I've also watched other tree services saw down trees, buck them into shorter pieces and again, never file their saws.

If you are using your saw all day long, how often do you file the teeth? Figure clean wood, oak, maple, hickory for hardness. How many times a day do you file the teeth?

*The crew's 85' boom lift was extended vertically all the way up, and just cleared the top of the standing trunk.

Every tank refill of fuel/bar oil it gets checked, sometimes it gets the file, sometimes it doesn’t need it.

The pro crews you saw were cutting live green wood, expect they sharpened only a couple of times all day.

IF it’s dead dirty oak coated in Texas dust, you can bet it gets sharpened often…maybe a 8-10 times for an all day tree that 75’ size.

Latest posts

Back