How to measure clutch wear? Bogging down in the cut - MS 290

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ham

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have an MS 290 that has quite a bit of wear on it. 18" bar. If I'm deep in the cut it seems as though the clutch slips, the motor doesn't stall but it "bogs", the engine is turning while the chain is stopped. It feels like it's basically the clutch slightly slipping.

I've already replaced the spur sprocket setup with OEM rim, it didn't seem to make a difference. Everything was cleaned out, no bar oil seems to be in there.

Attachments

• IMG_4067.jpg
    IMG_4067.jpg
    601.6 KB
  • IMG_4068.jpg
    IMG_4068.jpg
    918.7 KB
That is a lot of oil on that drum, try cleaning everything with carb cleaner and see if that changes anything. Also put up a pic of your chain.

It's an almost new stihl yellow, attached

Attachments

• IMG_4069.jpg
    IMG_4069.jpg
    1.1 MB
I will do a better job cleaning the clutch area, but one of the things that seems odd is so little of the shoes touch the drum

Is there a chance that the clutch isn't the original one?
Sure it’s possible. The saw has an unknown history. That said the part number matches up to an 1127 clutch. Part number 1127/00A

I have an MS 290 that has quite a bit of wear on it. 18" bar. If I'm deep in the cut it seems as though the clutch slips, the motor doesn't stall but it "bogs", the engine is turning while the chain is stopped. It feels like it's basically the clutch slightly slipping.

I've already replaced the spur sprocket setup with OEM rim, it didn't seem to make a difference. Everything was cleaned out, no bar oil seems to be in there.
Second pic the inside of the drum looks greasy where the shoes grab. Needs a good cleaning and only put a little grease on the bearing.

. If I'm deep in the cut it seems as though the clutch slips, the motor doesn't stall but it "bogs", the engine is turning while the chain is stopped. It feels like it's basically the clutch slightly slippin
When you say the engine "bogs" when the chain stops, if you mean the engine rpm is pulled way down when the chain stalls, this sounds normal. Stall the chain and the engine will slow down to the point where the clutch starts to slip and then all the power of the saw will show up as heat in the clutch. Same as running a saw with the brake on. If the chain stalls did you expect the engine to stop?

When you say the engine "bogs" when the chain stops, if you mean the engine rpm is pulled way down when the chain stalls, this sounds normal. Stall the chain and the engine will slow down to the point where the clutch starts to slip and then all the power of the saw will show up as heat in the clutch. Same as running a saw with the brake on. If the chain stalls did you expect the engine to stop?
I think you are exactly right, seems so obvious now! Rpm goes down, clutch retracts

Back