Husqvarna 288XP Lite

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Huntingold

Reaction score
What would a brand new Husqvarna 288XP Lite be worth? Serial # is 64001XX, omitted the last two numbers to avoid someone saying I stole it from them. My dad had a habit of buying things and shelving them, forgetting he bought them, or where he put them. After he died, I found this saw cleaning out his garage on the bottom shelf in the back and it has never had gas in it and still has the little pamphlet hanging off of it.

Attachments

• IMG_20240922_155106901.jpg
    IMG_20240922_155106901.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20240922_155009504.jpg
    IMG_20240922_155009504.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20240922_154951496.jpg
    IMG_20240922_154951496.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20240922_154939977.jpg
    IMG_20240922_154939977.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
awesome .... you found a treasure ... I wouldn't sell it at all, if you have a place to store it... For at least 10 to 20 years :D
After that you buy a car with it :D or not sell it. Then your kids / grandkids buy a house with it :D

maybe i'd put some gas in and run for a minute... just to oil things on the inside? dunno...it surely test ran at the factory...but that's a while ago.
Ya thing it could possibly rust a bit on the inside?

If that were my saw I certainly would not take 500 for it. I would think today it would bring close to twice that since its new with tag. And made in Sweden.
One thing against a high price is the fasteners are rusty. Who knows the cylinder rings and bearings could be rusty as well along with all.the rubber parts shot.

One thing against a high price is the fasteners are rusty. Who knows the cylinder rings and bearings could be rusty as well along with all.the rubber parts shot.
Good question. If you have access to a bore scope you can look in the plug hole. I doubt there will be rust internally, however. It is definitely not NIB but everything can be cleaned to look brand new.
What is the stuff around the chain under the clutch cover?
You might want to pop the clutch cover, recoil and top cover and take a few more pics.

Good question. If you have access to a bore scope you can look in the plug hole. I doubt there will be rust internally, however. It is definitely not NIB but everything can be cleaned to look brand new.
You might want to pop the clutch cover, recoil and top cover and take a few more pics.
I would not bet against rusty bearings, rings, rod, etc. I would be highly surprised if it was not.

Looks like grease at the clutch. But this has never had gas in it. It does have spider webs and dust though. I will bore scope it tomorrow.

I would not bet against rusty bearings, rings, rod, etc. I would be highly surprised if it was not.
Depends on how much humidity or actual water got to it over the years.
I was given a pile of old saws that had saw outside on the side of a shed for several years. I was amazed at how oil free the innards were. Now, if this saw never got any sort of oil into the crankcase then all bets are off.
Still well worth restoring, either way.

I think I’d want to make sure the interior is ok before doing that. And, the fuel lines may have dried out as well.
Its faded and rusted on the outside,, at this point if it runs its worth much more than if it does not... the op does not seem the type to tear down a saw, i'd video it running to sell, or... sell it as not running for parts...as it needs a full teardown/rebuild.

Latest posts

Back