Huztl MS660

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi folks, just finished my ms660 thanks to all the great advice on this thread! I haven't speant long fiddling with the carb settings yet, but I have a saw that is running very poorly, it will barely run with wide open throttle but can be coaxed to higher revs at partial throttle. It is putting quite a reasonable puff of fuel mist back through the carb with the throttle wide open and filter off. Any thoughts or ideas would help me with my next steps?

Attachments

• 20170604_212138.jpg
    20170604_212138.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 32
Try turning you h carb screw 1/4 turn clockwise. The h adjustment is the left screw. If it sounds better turn it more.

I couldn't resist. I waited till the last 40 minutes of the sale, but I caved.

Secretly, I don't feel bad at all. Don't tell though. ;)

I have so many things to do/plan/buy before this shows up on my doorstep. I've got a list of OEM parts prepared and submitted to multiple places for quotes. I'm watching YouTube videos to beat the band.

That leaves...

What bar and chain will I want on this beast? My 046 Magnum will be built, ported, and back to me sporting a 24" bar and chain by the time this arrives. My 361 is stock and wears a 20" with 3/8" RS.

Oh no. No 36" bar for me. I can't think of a tree in 100 miles around me that requires that. 24"? 25"? 28"?

I have a spare 16". How much fun would that be lol...

You could switch bars you already have until you get a feel for what would work best for you.

Lots of fun things to think about

I have so many things to do/plan/buy before this shows up on my doorstep. I've got a list of OEM parts prepared and submitted to multiple places for quotes. I'm watching YouTube videos to beat the band.

That leaves...

What bar and chain will I want on this beast? My 046 Magnum will be built, ported, and back to me sporting a 24" bar and chain by the time this arrives. My 361 is stock and wears a 20" with 3/8" RS.

I Know I am asking too many questions But is that list on your computer

If it isn't don't worry about it But if it is maybe you could copy and paste it here for suggested parts to replace with oem parts

First casualty of my 066/660 build.

Anchor end of the recoil starter spring slipped thru.
50f819c5f2c98c9069b32609b91ffaa4.jpg

Thru some slack in the rope which cought on the flywheel at speed.
e094aefdfb966310de71e177e9775aa6.jpg

My local dealer had the damaged
parts on hand, rebent the spring end.

Prolly end up using a new Stihl spring.

Maybe shorten the rope to prevent over taxing the spring. We will see.

Was up until 2am. This kit from the group buy at HL was a very different kit....because all the bolts were labelled! Literally put it together in my sleep.

Once I finished the port work this assembled like cake. The chain adjuster is smoother too. I used the hl supply seal kit and highly recommend it....

The ft 54mm jug should not be run without work... imho. The ports were too rough to be considered not ring hookers. Yikes

Attachments

• 20170620_075710.jpg
    20170620_075710.jpg
    363.3 KB · Views: 31
  • 20170620_075752.jpg
    20170620_075752.jpg
    293.1 KB · Views: 32
This kit from the group buy at HL was a very different kit....because all the bolts were labelled!
I noticed that...haven't had time to assemble yet though...looks like all the parts are there, at least the ones commonly missing...except the MS660 decal. The white insert is there on the top cover, just no decal on it. Yours is the second pic I've seen from this HLS order, both had the decal.
Good to hear that the chain adjuster is actually right.
What do you mean by "HLS seal kit"?

http://www.hlsproparts.com/Stihl-066-MS660-gasket-set-p/h40660.htm?Click=48376

Been running the saw today, nearly a tank through it. The needle lever was indeed high. Tunes right nice now. no idle trouble, starts one pull, even after sitting for 15-20 min.

My arm is tired though. ran the 350, 262 and the 660 clone today. none are stock.... no point in owning a stock saw lol :)
My Hlsupply gasket kit is in route as we speak along with my 660 kit. We will see which one gets here first. The saw was in NY Monday and I ordered the gasket kit yesterday with 3 to 4 day shipping.

Been watching the bolt for bolt videos again and afleetcommand videos just to be ready.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

good idea... take notes from both. Walt has a lot of real world experience with these saws.... I just figure out how they go together. :)

he brought up a good point in a recent vid... these kits are moving targets. issue with one saw doesn't apply to the next necessarily. so the issues I've had in the bolt for bolt vids don't necessarily apply. hopefully the reference of how pieces fit and the order of assembly is helpful

Back