Importance of vacuum/pressure testing

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is a guarantee that the problem will not bee a leak in the bottom end.
Yes it is nice to have a Stihl tool kit, but it is not necessary.
Many posts here and you tube on how to to it. Yes, you can buy a Harbor Freight pressure and vacuum tester and do the same thing.
And I goofed up. VACUUM and pressure, in that order.

Map gas works too.
Propane also… get it close… if it revs up you found the leak…

But +1 with everyone above who said you don’t need a special Stihl proprietary tool. Virtually any auto parts shop will have a compression checker that connects to the spark plug hole. Those vacuum/pressure pumps with gauge are sold by everyone from snap on to mighty-vac or cheapo harbor freight.

The compression tester is a tool that is inexpensive and I think everyone should have because even without “problems” to diagnose measuring your compression and recording it over time will tell you how your rings are wearing… how much life is left in your motor… and it really is just as easy as changing a spark plug (bwalker I know you’re thinking about sawdust falling in there right now 🤣)

Great post OP!

It is a guarantee that the problem will not bee a leak in the bottom end.
Yes it is nice to have a Stihl tool kit, but it is not necessary.
Many posts here and you tube on how to to it. Yes, you can buy a Harbor Freight pressure and vacuum tester and do the same thing.
And I goofed up. VACUUM and pressure, in that order.
I've never done one yet, so I don't know. Why do them in that order?

I've never done one yet, so I don't know. Why do them in that order?
I don’t, though it works either way.

I always test w/ pressure first to use soap spray bubbles to quickly find it/them & to keep more crap from being sucked inside the saw.

Make sure it holds 8-10 psig all day. Rotate the crank a few times if you want to. Stick an oiled up round toothpick in the seal to shaft contact area & see if the lip rebounds if you want to. Hard & old seals will keep leaking…

Then pull a 14”Hg vacuum, again should hold for hours and if it won’t hold it’s got a bad seal(s)! Squirt some light 3-1 machine oil or baby oil around the shaft to see if it pulls it in during the vacuum decay failure.

Back