Troy-Built (Garden Way) Mini Tiller Question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnsk00

ArboristSite Lurker
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi, I have a 90s Troy-Built (Garden Way) Mini Tiller.

Question 1: I noticed the gearbox was getting warm when running, so I checked the transmission lubricant, and it seems to be in need of additional lubricant. The manual recommendation is pretty generic: "high quality automotive petroleum-base grease usually available at most hardware or auto parts stores." Does anyone have a recommendation on what specific grease to use? I have some John Deere Multi-Purpose SD Polyurea Grease, would that work, is there something better?

Question 2: I use non-ethanol fuel with Sthil oil for the gas mixture. The manual calls for 24:1. When I use 24:1 the exhaust is very smoky, and it leaves residue on the muffler. I have read mix reports on whether to use the suggested mixture, or go to a higher gas to oil mix as a result of the advancement in today's oil. Who has thoughts on this?

Thanks!

A lot of those little tillers use a worm gear type transmission.

I've got no lube recommendations for you other than to note that antique outboard collectors often use John Deere 'Corn Head' lube in their highly valuable lower units.

who made it? what brand is it? tags on motor ---Garden Way dont make anything themselves! Look up engine maker of your unit and go from there. I would rather have black exhaust than locked up motor due to oil starvation! MOST 2 stroke motors run black.
For gear oil I use 85w/140 in all of my TB horses and it works fine. Some of the smaller 2-strokes are sealed and cant be refilled.
If yours can just use straight140 if you can get it. if not mix gun grease with 90 weight.

who made it? what brand is it? tags on motor ---Garden Way dont make anything themselves! Look up engine maker of your unit and go from there. I would rather have black exhaust than locked up motor due to oil starvation! MOST 2 stroke motors run black.
For gear oil I use 85w/140 in all of my TB horses and it works fine. Some of the smaller 2-strokes are sealed and cant be refilled.
If yours can just use straight140 if you can get it. if not mix gun grease with 90 weight.

MTD has owned the Troy- bilt name since around 1999 I believe.

A huge drop in quality ensued.

I've got four of the Horse models from the early nineties back to my first two that date to 1984.

Latest posts

Back