Insurance advice needed.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stihlproincky

ArboristSite Operative
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, hope I put this in the right forum.
I've been doing tree work for about 5yrs now. So far I haven't had insurance (luckily haven't needed it) but I am now looking at getting an llc and picking up some coverage.
My questions are:
1. What kinda policy/policies do I need?

2. What company/companies are recommended (I'm in kentucky)

3. How much coverage should I get ( i.e. a million, or should i get more)

At this point I'm getting insurance for myself (no employees) although my dad or brother may help occasionally.

My services will include, felling, climbing, pruning, stump grinding and landscaping. Also contracting with local companies when needed.

Any input would be much appreciated. Thanks

I've been doing tree work for about 5yrs now. So far I haven't had insurance (luckily haven't needed it) but I am now looking at getting an llc and picking up some coverage.
My questions are:
1. What kinda policy/policies do I need? General Liability for tree trimming and removal for operations that go above the 12 ft "landscaper" limit. I guess there are people who try to cut costs by getting a "landscapers" policy, but is my understanding that covers operations only up to 12 ft.
2. What company/companies are recommended (I'm in kentucky) Any independent insurance agent can find a company for you.
3. How much coverage should I get ( i.e. a million, or should i get more) Up to you, but I have always been told $1M for typical residential work. The extra cost going from $500k to $1M is not significant

At this point I'm getting insurance for myself (no employees) although my dad or brother may help occasionally. Now you're talking workers comp, which cover OTJ injuries. That's a different beast than GL. You should make sure you understand the WC laws in your state, and make sure you are CYA if anyone on the crew gets hurt. There may be exceptions in place for family members, but call your state office and talk to them. My state office was really helpful.

My services will include, felling, climbing, pruning, stump grinding and landscaping. Also contracting with local companies when needed. For your GL, they will ask if you grind stumps (or own a stump grinder), or if you use aerial lifts. I don't own or use either, but I would be willing to bet it ups the policy cost. Also, check with your agent on the landscaping. My agent said I was covered unless I was doing pressurized line installs, or electrical.

What the heck did I just do on that last post. Sorry, should have cut and pasted rather than replied. Here you go, again. :)

My questions are:
1. What kinda policy/policies do I need? General Liability for tree trimming and removal for operations that go above the 12 ft "landscaper" limit. I guess there are people who try to cut costs by getting a "landscapers" policy, but is my understanding that covers operations only up to 12 ft.
2. What company/companies are recommended (I'm in kentucky) Any independent insurance agent can find a company for you.
3. How much coverage should I get ( i.e. a million, or should i get more) Up to you, but I have always been told $1M for typical residential work. The extra cost going from $500k to $1M is not significant

At this point I'm getting insurance for myself (no employees) although my dad or brother may help occasionally. Now you're talking workers comp, which cover OTJ injuries. That's a different beast than GL. You should make sure you understand the WC laws in your state, and make sure you are CYA if anyone on the crew gets hurt. There may be exceptions in place for family members, but call your state office and talk to them. My state office was really helpful.

My services will include, felling, climbing, pruning, stump grinding and landscaping. Also contracting with local companies when needed. For your GL, they will ask if you grind stumps (or own a stump grinder), or if you use aerial lifts. I don't own or use either, but I would be willing to bet it ups the policy cost. Also, check with your agent on the landscaping. My agent said I was covered unless I was doing pressurized line installs, or electrical.

You are thinking pretty smart, imho, vis obtaining insurance. I'm now 76 with a bum right leg, so I only do cutting (mostly firewood) just for me. I have a stable full of saws, winches, and you-name-it tools -- I don' want them to just collect dust. This said, as kind of a "who am I" ;) -- I pretty much always had the money-out-money in challenge. E.g., the job was big enough for me to make a decent earning from it, BUT, I'd need at least one helper. Dang -- as soon as that "helper" was on payroll -- there went any profit. Factoring insurance premiums back then -- when they were allllmost affordable -- would have really done me in.
However, a lot of jobs were available from towns. villages, banks, etc.-- ALL of which demanded a certificate of insurance BEFORE they'd accept any bids on the job. My "gambling" with no insurance cost me here.
You are kind of between that proverbial rock and a hard place, as I was for years. One option you might look into is sub-contracting under another who has the insurance? (I worked a deal with an electrical contractor which worked well for us both.) I will add re a friend who ran a small excavating business, and during the very start of a "easy money" driveway job, he cut through a myriad of fibre-optic buried cables. Oops! NO insurance -- it cost him pretty close to $8,000.00 -- which he HAD to pay! To add insult to injury, after this no insurer would take him on -- too much risk.
Check with other cutters in your area -- what they do. Regardless -- you have my very best wishes!
geo

How deep were the data lines? They are generally required to be buried 24" minimum. I would not pay $8K for lines cut shallower than 24" without first losing in court. I never dig deeper than 16" so hitting buried lines is always someone else's fault. I do require my customers retain responsibility for their irrigation and consumer electrical and gas lines. Even though I splice damaged Funny pipe irrigation lines from time to time.

$8K sounds really cheap for cutting a myriad of fiberoptic lines.

If you get insurance, I recommend $1M as your customers that require it will generally be looking for that as a minimum.

How deep were the data lines? They are generally required to be buried 24" minimum. I would not pay $8K for lines cut shallower than 24" without first losing in court. I never dig deeper than 16" so hitting buried lines is always someone else's fault. I do require my customers retain responsibility for their irrigation and consumer electrical and gas lines. Even though I splice damaged Funny pipe irrigation lines from time to time.

$8K sounds really cheap for cutting a myriad of fiberoptic lines.

If you get insurance, I recommend $1M as your customers that require it will generally be looking for that as a minimum.
I have NO idea what went on re "Jim" and the cut wires, other than he needed sell a couple of pieces of his equipment to come up with the ante. I totally agree with you both as eight grand being quite a low cost, but then again that was a few years back when there was maybe one or two (??? I do not know) cables impacted. He hired a lawyer, too and I do not know if the $8K included; or excluded court and lawyer costs. Again, I got privy as I wanted to buy his Ford tractor -- one piece of equipment he had for sale -- but thought he wanted waaaay too much for it and passed -- I bought a :) Kubota :). You're correct, too, with that million as a base amount -- specially NOW when it seems everyone is sue-crazy.
geo

Latest posts

Back