Is it a Stihl, 075 or 076?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yup.............Old saw has good fire............no kill switch, had one knee
on the damp ground when I pulled plug wire off. Hit me about three
times, next time I was standing still bit me, Third time I choked it to
kill it. :D

wait 'till you get the $$$$$ compression up to 160..:D

Ive owned my 075AVE for over 18 years. I can not swear it has'nt been messed with, but the case has the hand gaurd mount and the oil cap is on the side. The clutch cover also has a slot in for a chainbreak, but the chainbreak hardware is not in it. Rick! :laugh:

Glad your familiar with them........I really am starting to like them....:D :D

Time Serts!!!!!!!!!!

I fixed some starter cover bolt holes on one of Middle Bro.s Daniels 066's last year and they are holding like a champ!!!!!!!
:blob2: :blob2:

I really like them!!!!! also fixed four jug bolt holes on one of my 044/460BB saws about 6-8 Mo. ago and I used it earlier this week, stihl,,, running strong:laugh: :laugh: :pumpkin2:

Dang Got off topic,,, We have a couple of old 075/076's in the shop under the work bench????? Hmmmmmmmm, I wonder??? If I could make me one???? is the top of the airfilter the same???

Last edited:
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: you want more? you'll hate the orange... 80 light coats, bake and hand rub between each...

I found out about the orange on the 064, I was about to wipe the
paint off then prime it then try to paint......or maybe paint it with
some other orange paint then the Stihl orange.........?

I found out about the orange on the 064, I was about to wipe the
paint off then prime it then try to paint......or maybe paint it with
some other orange paint then the Stihl orange.........?

Automobile paint...??

Stihl orange needs lots of real thin (dry between) coats..

Last edited:
Automobile paint...??

Stihl orange needs lots of real thin (dry beteeen) coats..

I thought maybe with a orange base coat it would be easier
to cover..........I had trouble getting the bare metal to cover
Thin coat after thin coat.......It almost seems like it has to
much thinner in it.

Good night all.

Last edited:
I think you have a frankensaw here. It definately started out as a normal 075(note manual oiler assist not present on 076) the top covers and clutch side look right also for 075. But at some point someone put 1/2 of a crankcase from an 076 (side oil cap) and the starter cover is much more sharply angled than the more rounded 2 tiered cover on the 075. So from about the center of the crankcase to the clutch side and the top covers you have a normal 075. From crankcase center to starter side you have 076 donor parts.

I think you have a frankensaw here. It definately started out as a normal 075(note manual oiler assist not present on 076) the top covers and clutch side look right also for 075. But at some point someone put 1/2 of a crankcase from an 076 (side oil cap) and the starter cover is much more sharply angled than the more rounded 2 tiered cover on the 075. So from about the center of the crankcase to the clutch side and the top covers you have a normal 075. From crankcase center to starter side you have 076 donor parts.

You maybe right............paint on case looks newer than rest of saw
PLUS serial number is in-graved into the case not stamped. So it may
have had a new crank case at some point.

Ha ha ha!!!!! I bet that will loosen your dentures up!!!!!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Ha ha ha!!!!! I bet that will loosen your dentures up!!!!!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Thats not all it will Loosen!

Ive owned my 075AVE for over 18 years. I can not swear it has'nt been messed with, but the case has the hand gaurd mount and the oil cap is on the side. The clutch cover also has a slot in for a chainbreak, but the chainbreak hardware is not in it. Rick! :laugh:

Yesterday was the first time I had ever had a-hold of one, 075/076 saw.

I think I will just call it "The Saw" for now. ;)
But it did start in three pulls this morning and so did the new MS180.

Last edited:
Back