Is this a good deal or fair

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

don

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Husqvarna 50 very nice chainsaw 22" bar
Item # 2042566042 $169 plus 15 for delivery. Looks like it has not had much use based on how the bottom looks. Wondering about the kill switch. Were these just a poor quality switch or did the owner get a little too phyisical with the saw?

The saw does look pretty good. I'd say the price is fair...if all is as promised.

The guy is sort of a chatterbox, suggests that he was offered a "better deal on a Stihl by insurance co"... what's up with that? Also says he "sharpened the chains at a small engine shop". Does that mean he's a mechanic? Doesn't sound like one; sounds like a nervous kid trying to sell his first car!

All in all, I'd probably jump on it...I think it's a young guy trying to make some cash, doesn't quite have the ins and outs of online selling figured out. A short description, calling attention to the pristine appearance, might have netted him $75 more than he's asking, especially if he could wait a few weeks.

I think I have seen more dead Husky 50s (or maybe they were 51s) than other models of huskys. Come to think of it, I have also seen a few 181 pro models.

You guys that know, were these troublesome models?

Bidding is closed for this item.

What is with this ? Seller ended the auction with no buyer.

Don't panic Don. The auction ended and nobody bid on the saw. I would say it was because it was listed as too high of a price for opening bid. Go to the item and click on the guys name. You can email him and try to work out a deal on the saw. Explain to him it did not sell etc. etc. and offer him a little less. BTW that is a 50 special and it has more displacement than the regular 50. It should give you good service. The main trouble I have seen is they get too hot. That is usually from a plugged muffler screen or air leak around the manifold boot or the pulse hole gasket. This is a homeowner/farm saw not a commercial saw. Mike

Good deal or Not

I think we need a string for deals on the web.
I am going to pass on the Husky 50
but ...

Would you buy this?

Chainsaws (6), Homelite/McCulloch - Surplus!
eBay Item # 2043187895

It is a government auction so I guess thats why they figuire on selling it.

Do you think Uncle Sam shut down some poor old logger?

The pallet of saws weighs 175 pounds, wow thats allot of metal to ship. I think it would cost more to ship ($130 to $200) than I am willing to bid

Stihl 020AVT Chainsaw w/14" Bar $115 delivered

Stihl 020AVT Chainsaw w/14" Bar - GOOD SHAPE
Item # 2045557756
-------------------------------------------------------------
This auction is for a used Stihl 020 AVT Chainsaw. This saw was checked out by a professional. It has had a new spark plug installed. It starts and runs great. It looks real good. The pictures speak for that. It would make a great limbing or light work saw. This saw will not be dead on arrival. Shipping is $15.00 to the lower 48 states.

Don,

That auction you mention for the 6 surplus chainsaws was by Oregon Surplus. They sell quite a few saws on ebay. I believe it was them some time back that sold huge lots of US Forest Service chainsaw chaps. I have noticed two major problems with their auctions. They sell stuff in too big of lots and they charge very high packing and handling fees. I was interested in those saws but the truck freight would have killed me

I doubt those guys are trying to make a profit. As long as it moves out and the state doesn't take a big loss.

What the hell is that Homelite in the upper right? Looks like an SXL-925, but bigger and older. I know mine couldn't swing a bar that big.

Is that a Stihl in there?

Assorted Chainsaws and Parts
Item # 2047470848
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2047470848&rd=1

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Go for it if you can pick it up?
Do the people who sell for this "seller" even care what they are selling and care if they get a good price?

Stihl MS180

STIHL MOTORSÄGE MS 180C / 35cm NEUWARE
Item # 2049104683
Do you think he is getting them for less than the USA dealers?
Or is he bypassing the import and exchange rates?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2049104683

Should we invite him to chat in our discussions?

I owned a 702vl (71cc) 25 years ago; 20" bar was just right in burr and red oak, could have powered a 24" in popple, basswood or white pine. That 602 is only 60cc, so 24" is a bit much for hardwood, but I imagine it would get by in most conifers, even plenty good in cedar.

You are looking at a 25 year old saw. Comparable to 036 Stihl or 61 Husky, but probably better compared to 360 Homelite. I'd pay the same amount for the Stihl or Husky and rest easier knowing I could get parts if I was looking for a chain saw to use.

017 $135 delivered

STIHL 017 RUNS GREAT
Item # 2051186466

No picture, that doesn't help but the description sounds promising.

I never did bid on the Echo. No parts no way !

042 parts missing $ huh? ten bucks

STIHL 042 AV
Item # 2051181283

On a second note don't you Kidda like the guy selling the 031 for $100 "it ran good until my son took it apart" and now it don't wunt to start. Wonder if the box of parts left over during reassembly is included in the deal? At least he is honest.

Back