Jonsered Chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Late to the party....it's a 111S because of the two-piece top. The 111 had a once-piece top for most of its production run. The 110 had different crank bearings and a slightly different case profile, but you need them side by side to appreciate the differences.

Well, Mark, you gotcha the old-school big dawg. The Holy Grail of collector exaggerations....lol! The full-wrap has some weirdness to it(looks like a repair top middle and the drop with the 'bob' has something going on), but the wrap itself might have been original. Bearing in mind that the full-wraps were subcontracted out when they got to the States. No Jonsereds came to the US with full-wraps. And there were some slight differences geographically; some were steel and some were aluminum etc.....different diameters too.

Nice condition muffler and the louver models breathed the best. The saw is half again larger than it needs to be and the wrap would catch on everything dragging it through the wood's brush. My arms hurt looking at it. Hopefully, as you tear it down, you don't find it to be a Frankensaw.

Someone needs to find a real 100cc 910E...THAT'S a force of nature!

Kevin

Late to the party....it's a 111S because of the two-piece top. The 111 had a once-piece top for most of its production run. The 110 had different crank bearings and a slightly different case profile, but you need them side by side to appreciate the differences.

Well, Mark, you gotcha the old-school big dawg. The Holy Grail of collector exaggerations....lol! The full-wrap has some weirdness to it(looks like a repair top middle and the drop with the 'bob' has something going on), but the wrap itself might have been original. Bearing in mind that the full-wraps were subcontracted out when they got to the States. No Jonsereds came to the US with full-wraps. And there were some slight differences geographically; some were steel and some were aluminum etc.....different diameters too.

Nice condition muffler and the louver models breathed the best. The saw is half again larger than it needs to be and the wrap would catch on everything dragging it through the wood's brush. My arms hurt looking at it. Hopefully, as you tear it down, you don't find it to be a Frankensaw.

Someone needs to find a real 100cc 910E...THAT'S a force of nature!

Kevin

But the 110 cases were "S" and that one looks to be an S not an S1 as the 111 and 111S cases should be- but then the two piece top cover is wrong.
Have seen two styles of full wrap on these- this short one may be earlier than the more full depth one with partial return towards (but no attachment to) clutch cover/case.

But the 110 cases were "S" and that one looks to be an S not an S1 as the 111 and 111S cases should be- but then the two piece top cover is wrong.
Have seen two styles of full wrap on these- this short one may be earlier than the more full depth one with partial return towards (but no attachment to) clutch cover/case.
That's why I used the term 'Frankensaw'....this could be a mix match of parts against the original saw. It just kinda has that look to me......Scott tore enough of these down.....he would know. (Bulletpruf).

Kevin

Hopefully, all the rest of it is OE. I think some late production 111saws had the two-piece cover, but all 111S' had the two-piece cover. Hard call because Jonsereds would use up parts they had whenever they could. Go to Magnus' site and try to figure out by serial #. That might be the way to do it or ask him.

Kevin

There are no other tags or markings on the saw that I can find. I'll keep looking as I take it down.

Mark
You won't find much.......the only tag is the serial number tag which was mounted vertically just forward of the "S1" casting on the flywheel side above the gas cap....note the two rivit holes there. Your tag is missing.....not that it would tell you much anyway.

Magnus is using something like a spreadsheet to publish serials and pics. If you can see pics of saws with how they are equipped and then the serials, sometimes you can extrapolate where they fall in the production run. That would answer the question, for example, of when the two-piece top appeared on the 111/111S.....if there are enough saws documented on his spreadsheet.

But no serial, no news. And as we've discussed before, decoding the actual serial by Jonsereds is fruitless.

Tags do fall off on their own. My 80 in its long life had one when I started with it used, but somewhere along the lines it just fell off. Most of the time it's not a nefarious thing, but from just vibration & use.

Kevin

For every 110cc Jonsereds I run across that is a 110 or 111, I see six or seven 111S saws. Although Acres site doesn't verify it, my belief is that the 110 and 111 were each only made for approximately one model year, and the 111S was made for several years. The chances are great Mark, that your saw is a 111S.

110's all have needle bearings on the crankshaft. The 111 and 111S all have ball/roller bearings. If you put a 110 case alongside a 111/111S....there is also a slight physical difference. I've seen it, just don't remember the particulars. Maybe just the area around the bearing recesses....don't remember.

If Mark's saw has ball/roller bearings it's a 111/111S. If nobody has subbed in parts, the two-piece indicates a 111S or late run 111. If somebody put a two-piece cover on the saw and it came with a one-piece......it's not like a collector should object to it, as the two-piece cover is a better arrangement.

I think the wrap looks like sh**. But maybe with some paint and care it can look decent. Not a fan of the steel wraps. I have a NOS full-wrap I cleaned and painted for the 111S. Even NOS they rust...the steel wraps. I don't think the 111/111S ever got an aluminum full-wrap, but they did appear on the 80/90/900 series saws.

A lot of these saws have a crack or leak where the rear handle is fastened to the tank....bad design. Be sure to check that area.

Kevin

Latest posts

Back