Jonsered Chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The 81 is thought to be a 801 but geared for West Coast loggin' with the full-wrap. This has been argued a lot.....but it does look identical to the 801 except for the full wrap.

My favorite full-wrap configuration in that series. Aluminum and not too big, while not too small...perfect palm diameter. The rubber plug in the top cover where decomp goes on the 90....shows up on a lot in the 80 powerheads. Unobtainium AV on the PTO side.

Delightful oddity....wished I had one!

Tilton didn't list it so suspect it was a Scotsco animal.

Kevin

Full wraps don't seem to show up in any IPLs I have, for 90s or the 801. Where are they listed and the muffler as well?

My original IPLs of the 80/90 don't show the full-wrap. But my original 910 IPL does and with the heated handles. It's my understanding Magnus the Swede says none of the Jonsereds left the factory with full-wraps. That was contracted out in the States mostly through Tilton and Scotsco. That's why there is some variation in the full-wraps themselves.

I have both steel and aluminum full-wraps. I hate the steel ones; the palm diameter is too small and digs into your hands after a full day's work. If Tilton didn't list the 81 as a model they sold, then I really believe it's a Scotsco iteration with the aluminum full-wraps.

As far as the mufflers.....some of the West Coast saws had bottom louver mufflers. My 80 does and there were actually replacement louvers available from suppliers back in the day because I snagged two. I don't see them listed in the IPLs either all the way through the 910.

Oh and the unobtainium AV mount from the full-wrap back to the PTO side of the saws through the 910e was available through dealers at one time. Not listed either in the IPLs until the 910 and then it is. So the dealers always had a # for it, but you had to ask and then they usually called in for it..... unless they were Tilton or Scotsco. The last one I bought was from a dealer in the '80's....he informed me that one was probably the last one in the whole country. Pre-Internet, he had called several out-of-state sources, who told him that that was probably the last one.

In my 20-year+ search for that AV, I have found some NOS mounts. I don't wanna say I'm 'poor' with them, but I have a few. One was thrown into the deal with a parted-out 910....the Jonsered counter gal selling the parts had no idea what it was and threw it into the pot! And then Kevin from Saskatchewan went around NA looking/buying up old Jonsereds/Husky parts. He amassed enough parts to put together whole saws and sold them to collectors and on the Internet. He too had some of those AVs and had no idea(until I told him) what they were for.

None of this really matters except for posterity because most of the surviving full-wraps on Jonsereds saws have had that bottom PTO portion cut off and some bob/dangle thing stuck on the full-wrap. I've even had MANY collectors argue with me and say they came that way....Kevin included. But eventually, through his own research, he realized they didn't.

Kevin

I suppose the chances of seeing an old Scotsco catalog showing this saw will be between zip and nada.
I've tried....but don't have the connections. Some of those guys from the glory days of loggin' are still alive I'm sure. I am. Over the yrs I've talked with Tilton ex-employees, but as far as Scotsco....'crickets'. Oregon was always ripe with nepotism....if you didn't know people or weren't from there, you were dirt and the doors were closed.

And even then, memories aren't that long....you really need the literature to confirm things.

Kevin

What do you really think about that state?
I think the bumper sticker says it all. In reality, me being an 'outsider' and working the loggin' shows in OR was tough. And the reason I moved to WA at some point.

When I first moved there, I lived in Portland and worked in the city for a bit. That was fine, except for the cost of rent housing and the deposits they required. But then when I moved out rural, everything changed.

Kevin

Latest posts

Back