Jonsered Chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
was looking for bar covers for my 3 Jonsereds. figured Husqvarna must sell red versions of their covers for their Jonsered line. surprised that the only one I could find was on ebay and from England with a huge shipping cost. gotta stay color coordinated ya know.
Never found a J'red scabbard longer than 28". I have just two....one the teeth cut up, the other OK.

Kevin

Oregon used to provide bar covers in red. I have one on a Jonsereds 621 I use infrequently.

FWIW, black doesn't look out of place either.

Mark
I've seen pics of the Oregon covers, hard to tell if they're red or orange. maybe they made both. maybe I'll just get some more scrap firehose.

PXL_20221108_215436051.jpg

There's a company I bookmarked eons ago that sells custom bar scabbards. I always wanted to try some of those.....crazy expensive though. They might not have survived COVID commerce woes.

Kevin
I've seen some crazy expensive leather ones, and some expensive fire hose ones like I make. I would have to find more fire hose. plastic is fine.

I think, this is the link I was thinking about;https://gvfireproducts.com/products/chain-saw-bar-cover?variant=1015768521

Spendy...but if it's not ballistic nylon/Kevlar....sharpened cutter teeth will trash it eventually. I don't see anywhere it says Kevlar or whatever.

With the, '3D printing is the greatest thing since sliced bread' crowd, these things ought to be easy to replicate. Probably take 4hrs to print, oh boy $$$ and then there's the copyright part with the brand logo. Who's gonna wanna risk the ire of Husky, for example?

Kevin

looking for a nice hand guard for the 621. screw spacing should be 2-5/16" O.C. should look like the one in the pic I assume. mine just has 2 holes in the top cover. I think they're kind of ugly and they probably don't actually work well but would like it to be correct.

0.jpg

Most users(hard) back in the day took the hand guards off, or they busted out. If you were a firewood cutter in scrub oak, for example, they had some use. I never knew anyone(me included) who took one off and put it back on later.

Pro saws 100cc or more were heavier than the 90. You didn't think about that stuff then. If you complained about hard starting and heavy saws you were laughed off the loggin' shows. The direct drive ported saws were like feathers compared to the old gear drive MACs.

Kevin

I grew up on the Oregon coast in the 60's and 70's. logging, mills and commercial fishing were the only things going on. I knew a lot of kids whose parents were loggers and they pretty much all had Mac's. I can remember when the first few got Stihls and how crazy light they were. don't remember them using Jonsereds or Huskys but I'm sure some did.

When I hit the West Coast loggin' shows in the mid-70s, it was pretty much a sea of Stihls. Some MACs on the landings of course. I ran an 075 and thought it was pretty great until Husky came along. Husky took the loggin' world by storm with the 2100. Only the older guys kept their Stihls. I don't want to speak for them as to the why of it.

Husky actually sent their top Swedish engineer with prototypes for the 2100. He listened to what the loggers were saying and incorporated the changes suggested into the saw. As they say, the rest is history. I went through at least a dozen of them and the 2101 over the yrs before I quit loggin'.

Scotsco in Portland, OR sold Jonsereds. Never saw one in the woods though until I moved to CO and continued loggin' for a bit. That's where I bought my first 80 as a backup saw to the 2100. I had to deal with plenty of smaller timber where I could use an 80/90.

Kevin

Back