Jonsered Chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very, very, very sweet.......but just for the record...that is not a Jonsered...it's true blue Jonsereds!!! The real deal!! Good score!!!

BTW welcome top the site!!!

That's right, the "S" was dropped from Jonsereds somewhere around 1983 (?)

Real magnesium on the old 70E with very few bits of plastic.

630 Super

There is an original Jonsereds 630 Super on Craigslist/Portland OR.

The very first Supers were hand-built by boring out the standard HS carb and adding the "super" sticker to the side of the top cover. Some had the intake skirt of the piston trimmed up, and they ran great. Can't remember what the factory did to the later Supers other than the decal.

Hello! New to the site and first post. Prior to posting i tried looking but was unable to find a service manual for a Jonsered 49. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Welcome to AS, redman01! There is also a "Beg for manuals" thread, you could try asking in there.

Hello! New to the site and first post. Prior to posting i tried looking but was unable to find a service manual for a Jonsered 49. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

The service manual is not a great help, parts ID wise or other. Cantdog is your go to guy on these. Ask a question, post a picture, although he won't need it to answer you. He did a great thread on a restoration of a pair of them not long ago, maybe a search would turn it up.

The service manual is not a great help, parts ID wise or other. Cantdog is your go to guy on these. Ask a question, post a picture, although he won't need it to answer you. He did a great thread on a restoration of a pair of them not long ago, maybe a search would turn it up.

LOL!! I agree...I have never seen a shop manual for the 49SP but do have a number of others for the older Jonsereds. The 49 is really simple..really nothing you need a manual for...timing is full advance..points are 0.015" carb is adjusted just like any tillotson.

Thank you for the kind words on the 49 builds...not to toot my own horn but just about all you would ever need to know is in that thread, with pics. To the OP .....search "49SP and 70E build from scratch" and if you don't find the info you seek just ask..I may know the answer or I may not but I'll certainly try to help any way I can.

49sp

LOL!! I agree...I have never seen a shop manual for the 49SP but do have a number of others for the older Jonsereds. The 49 is really simple..really nothing you need a manual for...timing is full advance..points are 0.015" carb is adjusted just like any tillotson.

Thank you for the kind words on the 49 builds...not to toot my own horn but just about all you would ever need to know is in that thread, with pics. To the OP .....search "49SP and 70E build from scratch" and if you don't find the info you seek just ask..I may know the answer or I may not but I'll certainly try to help any way I can.

Thanks for the help Mill_wannabe,8433jeff, and Cantdog. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated!

My father has a 49sp and the oiler is shot. He is not to found of the computer for looking infomation up. He was able to find another oiler in the area but is a little hesitant about removing the old oiler. Is it as simple as removing the 2 screws in front, removing the tear drop shaped plated, and the oiler comes out? Or is there more to it than that. I figured it would be better to inquire now before possibly ruining the saw!

This saw has giving us many years of service and it doesn't show any signs of slowing down any time soon! Hate to get get rid of her over a simple thing like the oiler! Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Redman... Your oil pump may not be the problem. Before you tear into the pump, pull the chain catcher (round deal held in place by three small bolts or screws just below the bar studs) behind there is the oil pickup filter screen. Make sure that the screen is clean. behind the screen you will see a small rubber line running from the pickup to the oil pump. make sure this line has not rotted or fallen off one end or the other. If all this stuff seems good one last thing you need to try is, take an oil can with a hand pump and squirt oil directly into the lower end of the pickup line.....be careful...go slow... you don't want to pop the line off the other end inside the case...but you want to make sure you get the oil into the pump to see if you can get it to take a prime. Sometimes if a saw has set for some time the oil will run back down out of the pump and the pump will be running in air rather than oil and it just wont pump until you restore the prime. I have replaced a non functioning pump with a NOS one and still could not get oil to the bar before. Generally when the pump need service it's the o rings and the pump will be leaking bar oil out the front of the pump.

As far as pulling the pump...yes, remove the two short screws from the teardrop....then get a slightly longer bolt with the same threads and screw it in the center hole so you can either pry on the inside of the bolt head to lever the pump out or if it is long enough to get pliers or vise grips on the bolt and just pull the pump straight out of the case.

Of course one other fault could be the oil pump adjuster on the bottom of the saw. You will see an alum plug with a hexagonal hole...reaching through this hole with a screwdriver there is a slotted screw in there...out is more oil...in is less oil.

Since I don't know exactly what the oiling problem is or why you think the pump is beat...I just tried to address all the possible problems/fixes that come to mind. Hope this helps....check the easy stuff first like the adjustment...then the filter/pickup/prime and the if none of that helps...pull the pump. Let us know what you find...good luck.

Last edited:
The Jonsered 2156cwh arrived today. A little late for the morning activities but got to use it cleaning up this afternoon.

DSC_0002.jpg

Sheeesh...I get tired of saying this but it's always deserved.....so here I go AGAIN...."Nice saw, Jack!!" How long before that one will leave the other 2156's way behind???? LOL!!!

It is a nice looking saw, but he has to get rid of the cat muffler first thing - as he surly know!

I am new to the site. I just picked up a 2240. Any changes that I should make from stock? I have only run 2 tanks through it and I love it so far.

Latest posts

Back