Jonsered Chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
it seems like a proper OEM plug is in the hole... it's not a SHCS or the like. I've got a few 77cc dolkita cutoff saws that are still in the back of my vehicle. I'm going to see if they have a decomp I can swap.

i think I have a winner. I'll try it after i get all the carbon out of the hole.

plug on left - decomp from the concrete saw on the right.
attachment.php

Pulled my J-Red 90 off the shelf Sat and fired her right up for some wood kill'n at the ranch. I rarely use this saw it's in sweet shape with 180+ psi with a 32" GB bar. I bring other big cc saws with me out in the forest...but this 90 has a place on my quad now..Nice high end power!!

Pulled my J-Red 90 off the shelf Sat and fired her right up for some wood kill'n at the ranch. I rarely use this saw it's in sweet shape with 180+ psi with a 32" GB bar. I bring other big cc saws with me out in the forest...but this 90 has a place on my quad now..Nice high end power!!

Yeah...had a list to convert all the parts from my 80 to make a 90....including the piston & jug off ebay. It was a small window to deal and I wasn't quite ready yet. It would be much easier just to find a good 90.:msp_thumbup: I've used the 80 for something like 30yrs now and it still has arm-pulling-off compression. I bought it as a back-up saw when I was still fallin' with a 28" bar, chisel chain etc. Still set up that way.

Kevin

Yeah...had a list to convert all the parts from my 80 to make a 90....including the piston & jug off ebay. It was a small window to deal and I wasn't quite ready yet. It would be much easier just to find a good 90.:msp_thumbup: I've used the 80 for something like 30yrs now and it still has arm-pulling-off compression. I bought it as a back-up saw when I was still fallin' with a 28" bar, chisel chain etc. Still set up that way.

Kevin

I'm not married to the 90 by no means but it's really a nice saw. Is this the Kevin with the 395xpw with the Jeep?? Team Schmuck?? we like them there Warshington folks:D

I'm not married to the 90 by no means but it's really a nice saw. Is this the Kevin with the 395xpw with the Jeep?? Team Schmuck?? we like them there Warshington folks:D

Nah, not me...did have a Jeep CJ-5 once modded with the little V-8.:D My loggin' days were mostly in WA, although I took a brief hiatus and logged in CO for cowboys; Frazer Bros Logging.

Well, if ya ever want to sell the 90....... :msp_wink:

Kevin

Nice. So was it just the oil keeping you from turning it over? I have no idea why they got rid of the decomp on these saws when they changed from the 910 to 920. It is definitely needed on the cold starts. Looks like even with the decomp it still took a pretty stout pull to turn it over.

Nice. So was it just the oil keeping you from turning it over? I have no idea why they got rid of the decomp on these saws when they changed from the 910 to 920. It is definitely needed on the cold starts. Looks like even with the decomp it still took a pretty stout pull to turn it over.

oil seems like a reasonable possibility. I used a heavy weight oil compared to the 2-stroke oil that everyone uses for storage. all the oil you see burning off is residual - the mix has 100% synthetic and doesn't smoke like that. so, it appears plausible (likely, even) that the heavy weight oil sealed the rings nearly completely and jacked up the compression on an already-high-compression saw. I had flushed it with diesel to clear any carbon bits out of the cylinder when I cleaned the decomp receiver and there was still plenty of oil left on top.

Now I just gotta tune it. The high idle worked in my favor since I didn't have the cover on -- I couldn't latch the half-throttle. I got H&L about 1.5 turns out, and it bogged in that little bit of wood I put it in. I also have to make sure the oiler is pumping. I poured bar oil on the chain just to get it started.

[edit] on the stout pull - I wasn't kidding around with the saw at this point. Last thing I wanted was comp whiplash. It may not need to be ripped that hard... but then again it may. Looking at the vid, it doesn't look like overkill.

(My son was filming and still laughing at me for the first video that you guys didn't see. I pulled that SOB over at least 12 times... Stupid little ONOFF switch...)

Last edited:
My Dad's Jonsereds

This is my dads saw I need help trying to find out what it is. On the cover it says Jonsereds 7 the rest is gone. I always thought it was a 70e but on acres site it shows a chain brake this saw does not have one. I have a ser#1546776. Can anybody tell from this? Or tell me where to start looking.

This is my dads saw I need help trying to find out what it is. On the cover it says Jonsereds 7 the rest is gone. I always thought it was a 70e but on acres site it shows a chain brake this saw does not have one. I have a ser#1546776. Can anybody tell from this? Or tell me where to start looking.

Could have taken the chain brake off at some point. Really need to post a PIC!:msp_wink:

Could have taken the chain brake off at some point. Really need to post a PIC!:msp_wink:

No the saw never had a brake. He bought it new. I know it needs a coil. This will be either 3-4 coils it's killed. I can't get a pic my middle daughter has the camera and is not around till the weekend.

looks like there are only 5 saws on acres that start with a 7. I would start there.
Here's all the Jonnies they have listed:

Chain Saw Collectors Corner - Gasoline Chain Saws by Manufacturer

I looked at those it looks like a 70e but no brake. I would like to get this saw running again. But I need more info. I will try to borrow a pic taker and get a pic up. Thanks for all the help so far:rock:

PM me your email address. I have IPL, service manual...

I am only 95% sure this thing is a 70e I will try to get a pic up. My kid has the camera but I will see if my next door neighbor has one and go from there.

Latest posts

Back