Jonsered Chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've never seen a functioning brake on those models, but as I understand it the brake consisted of a mechanical "plunger" that pressed against the clutch drum, as well as a switch that killed the ignition.

I don't have any good photos but if you look at the saw with the covers off you can see how the mechanical brake was intended to work.

Mark

Yep they were a dealer only installed option on the 621 and other models. I have seen a couple functioning ones over the years but they were not liked by most (all) cutters. The ign cutout was the most despised and the first thing to be disabled. Though it did stop the engine it also meant having to restart, generally deep in a brush pile. It wasn't so much a switch as it was just a wire attached to the spring loaded steel brake shoe which rode in a plastic guide tube above the clutch drum. When the brake was activated the shoe would ground the ign out on the drum. All in all the whole endevor was a failed attempt. At the time all the pro cutters were very used to not having any form of chain brake and and generally hated the whole idea as just one more thing to cause unessary grief and add to the cost of a saw.

I've never seen a functioning brake on those models, but as I understand it the brake consisted of a mechanical "plunger" that pressed against the clutch drum, as well as a switch that killed the ignition.

I don't have any good photos but if you look at the saw with the covers off you can see how the mechanical brake was intended to work.

Mark
I pulled off the clutch cover last night and realized that I just misunderstood the inner workings. It turns out that the chain brake works just fine!

Back